NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2018, 09:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default The mighty flip

Football example, but I am putting this on the front page because it's a universal phenomenon. The 8.5 sold at auction for 2993. The 8 is available, and likely will never sell because it's well above market, at 699. Welcome to the asylum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lane1.jpg (78.7 KB, 741 views)
File Type: jpg lane2.jpg (77.8 KB, 737 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-01-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:17 PM
Richard L.

Yup....your choice...for 3K

Lane PSA 8.5

or

Lane PSA 8
Starr PSA 7
Unitas PSA 7
Old 05-01-2018, 10:26 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Soooo...

your just realizing now that TPG is a subjective process in which the standards of grading are not standard?
Old 05-01-2018, 11:06 PM
A@ron V@!llan©️our⍑

To be fair, appears the PSA 8 is the much more common “horizontal variation”
Old 05-02-2018, 05:58 AM
Adam B

The jump from 8.5 to 9 tacks roughly another $15k to the hammer price. Granted there might only be a half dozen or so of them that have graded so high.

It’s a very popular set and “Nightrain” is a legend. If the Unitas RC is $10k in PSA 8, the Lane RC seems undervalued in the same grade all things considered. I’m sure there are more QB collectors than DB collectors out there though.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:16 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
your just realizing now that TPG is a subjective process in which the standards of grading are not standard?
No, I think the point he's making is we, as buyers, pay for the flip (the opinion of a $25/hr employee) instead of the card.

Both of those look cards look exactly the same, yet one sells for $3k, the other no nibbles at 25% of the price. All because the flip says one is a .5 grade higher.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:22 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyrounded View Post
Nice!
Old 05-02-2018, 06:42 AM
Ben North

The flip is everything. At one time I had 2 insanely rare cards that there is only 5 graded. When I decided to sell one of them I got an outrageously amazing offer for one from a fellow member. He chose the beater that was highly over graded over the much nicer card in a 1 point lower slab.

The flip trumps the card almost every time.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:10 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The flip is everything. At one time I had 2 insanely rare cards that there is only 5 graded. When I decided to sell one of them I got an outrageously amazing offer for one from a fellow member. He chose the beater that was highly over graded over the much nicer card in a 1 point lower slab.

The flip trumps the card almost every time.
and you were happy to sell it ....as we all would.

'Sell the flip, not the card'

Still Id rather have a PSA tell me my card is better than everyone elses (plus people will give amazing offers for) versus just the dealer telling me his card is the best....it is what it is..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 05-02-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:25 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
and you were happy to sell it ....as we all would.

'Sell the flip, not the card'

Still Id rather have a PSA tell me my card is better than everyone elses (plus people will give amazing offers for) versus just the dealer telling me his card is the best....it is what it is..
I agree that it's insanity to pay multiples for an 8.5 vs. an 8, but I wouldn't be paying anything near big bucks for a card if the grading industry didn't exist. Yes, they make mistakes, etc. A lot of things in life can get a little sketchy at the fringes (home inspectors, appraisal services come to mind, not to bad mouth any board members) but I certainly wouldn't consider buying a house or an expensive piece of art without someone who knows a lot more than I do weighing in from the sidelines. And art appraisers cost a hell of a lot more than PSA or SGC do.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-02-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:58 AM
Johnny MaZilli

That 8.5 is Awful ! People are brainwashed by PSA, their registry, and pop report. Check out their add in the most recent SMR. Headings

Records are made to be Broken PSA Shatters Them

It’s a 76 Topps Baseball Set pre graded psa value $250
With the power of psa grading, your cards can do more than set records.. they can shatter them.

Oh BS come on who is gonna get 9’s and 10’s on 76 topps? The sad part is naive collectors will believe this bs hook line and sinker. Sure I’m gonna grade all my 76 Topps they’re pack fresh mint I’ve had them since 76

How many times are you gonna get cards back from psa with their infamous, I call it I don’t know so I’m gonna punt grade, min size req, or have them call cards trimmed. Not even taking into account how many they will grade improperly. It’s a fight on each and every transaction with them. Greed has destroyed this hobby.

John Marsili

Last edited by Johnny630; 05-02-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
No, I think the point he's making is we, as buyers, pay for the flip (the opinion of a $25/hr employee) instead of the card.

Both of those look cards look exactly the same, yet one sells for $3k, the other no nibbles at 25% of the price. All because the flip says one is a .5 grade higher.
Right. Exactly this.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-02-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
LOL. I forgot to rotate one for better comparison.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:39 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
That 8.5 is Awful ! People are brainwashed by PSA, their registry, and pop report. Check out their add in the most recent SMR. Headings

Records are made to be Broken PSA Shatters Them

It’s a 76 Topps Baseball Set pre graded psa value $250
With the power of psa grading, your cards can do more than set records.. they can shatter them.

Oh BS come on who is gonna get 9’s and 10’s on 76 topps? The sad part is naive collectors will believe this bs hook line and sinker. Sure I’m gonna grade all my 76 Topps they’re pack fresh mint I’ve had them since 76

How many times are you gonna get cards back from psa with their infamous, I call it I don’t know so I’m gonna punt grade, min size req, or have them call cards trimmed. Not even taking into account how many they will grade improperly. It’s a fight on each and every transaction with them. Greed has destroyed this hobby.

John Marsili
Just curious... what is "awful" about the 8.5?
Old 05-02-2018, 08:56 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default good one!

Gave me a nice chuckle

Quote:
Old 05-02-2018, 09:41 AM
John

This is probably an over generalization, but my theory is if these same cards were graded 6 and 6.5, the 6 might sell for more because in my opinion there is a slight diamond cut to the 8.5. I'm not saying that there aren't any discriminating high end collectors, but I think there are more who buy the card over the flip at the mid to low end of the grading scale. I've seen 5s sell for more than a 6, etc. To be fair, I don't really watch auctions when the grade is way out of my price range though, so I'm not watching a lot of auctions for cards graded 8+

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 05-02-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:39 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Just curious... what is "awful" about the 8.5?

IMO It’s awful for a 8.5. I don’t like that tilt at all, not in a 8.5, especially at that price.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:10 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
This post made me wish this board had a "like" button. Very well played. I see this is only your 4th post, and you have already set your bar pretty high.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

The 8.5 is both sharper and better centered than the 8, so this isn't the best example of a .5 on the flip being the only difference between 2 cards.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrotn77 View Post
The 8.5 is both sharper and better centered than the 8, so this isn't the best example of a .5 on the flip being the only difference between 2 cards.
And the color is much better (unless the 8 is just enhanced) on the 8. In any case any differences are minor, would you not agree? Yet the difference in price is more than 4x. I stand by my asylum comment.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:29 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Football example, but I am putting this on the front page because it's a universal phenomenon. The 8.5 sold at auction for 2993. The 8 is available, and likely will never sell because it's well above market, at 699. Welcome to the asylum.
The answer is obvious, isn't it, Peter? Crack that baby out, ship it raw to PWCC, have them send it in to PSA. Voila, 8.5 baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
This post made me wish this board had a "like" button. Very well played. I see this is only your 4th post, and you have already set your bar pretty high.
I certainly got a good chuckle from it. And this is one instance where I, too, wish I could give a "like". But that would take Pandora's Box, and rip the lid off.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:57 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
WOW - Good eye - Hadn't noticed till you pointed that out!
Old 05-04-2018, 07:19 AM
Matt

That is one of the strange yet bedrock principals of the hobby: in many cases there is an exponential price increase for an infinitesimal (or virtually invisible) increase in card quality. For example, I could probably not see a difference between Evan's '52 Mantle 9 and a 10 (and in one case I think one 10 looks a little worse than Evan's 9), yet the 10 would likely cost a few million dollars more. Then of course there are the cases where the higher graded card actually looks worse than a lower graded card.

Yet in many other cases— when the flip and the card are in harmony— I see no problem with a buyer paying a big price difference if they also see a big difference in card quality. For example, the .5 grade difference between these two cards resulted in a 2x+ premium. So not every case of a higher graded card going for a large premium over a card one half grade lower is the same.

Last edited by MattyC; 05-04-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:41 AM
Johnny MaZilli

How could that top card 51 Mantle be a 3.5 with Terrible rounded corners and print all over the card ? The bottom card is much sharper and only a .5 higher then the above card.
Idk it’s all who submits

Maybe a thread titled, What Seller Consistsntly sells the most ugly over graded cards? That would be a hoot :-)

Last edited by Johnny630; 05-04-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:10 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
For example, the .5 grade difference between these two cards resulted in a 2x+ premium. So not every case of a higher graded card going for a large premium over a card one half grade lower is the same.
[/IMG]
So you're saying... buy the card, not the flip???