NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Default nba refs make it not a good watch

Posted By: steve

I am in Portland, OR, a trailblazer fan. Also a long time NBA fan, and I kinda know what I am looking at - but the ref's are not making good choices (consistantly for Boston and against the Lakers) and it hurts the NBA and its fans.

Just not a good watch on the tube with so many ref mis-calls, bummer for the NBA.

steve

Old 06-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

...when the finals have a starting time of 9:00pm EST, (on a Sunday, even), I'd think the NBA has larger problems than missed calls.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

I'm a big lakers fan, and hate the celtics. Stern is an idiot. Totally inconsiderate of the east coast. Not a single game is on the weekend, and every game starts after 9pm. I know its not much, but my little way of protesting is to not watch is single second of the series. If the superbowl can be at 6:30pm on a sunday, then at least one of the games can be BEFORE 9pm. Most kids pre-high school can't watch these games - they are all in bed by this time.

And yes I've heard alot of gripes about the referee-ing. Wonder if its as bad as my grammar

Rob

Old 06-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

I too live in Portland, but attribute foul disparity to better Boston D, rather than the refs. Since fouls tend to occur under the basket, and the Boston D is steller, maybe the Lakers had seven more fouls because they were under the basket less.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 06-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

The second foul called on Kobe is exactly what you're talking about. Terrible!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

It's definitely a fine line between good defense and overly agressive play. I cursed the refs when they called a couple cheap fouls on Kobe, but I can also see that the Lakers' inside players are all weak defensively. My biggest issue is when refs focus too much attention on themselves. The call on Kobe for talking smack was clearly an example of this, just like last year when a ref kicked out Duncan for simply ignoring him. Fans come to see the players, not the refs. Plus, they get paid well, so they should just suck it up. Personally, I don't believe in fouling out. I don't think it's fair to the fans, who paid good money to see their favorite players. I remember a few years back when Garnett fouled out against the Lakers in a tough series for the Western Conference title. Robert Horry got him with what I would call a "sucker foul." Garnett never even saw him coming. Without Garnett, the Wolves were toast ...

Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Every NBA fan can watch any game and find something to complain about with the referees because the refs are not consistant. Not meant to disrespect your beef, it is probably accurate, but the NBA is hurting for some consistancy. Count me in among the conspiracy theorists who think the NBA is one step above wrestling.

I still cant believe the Spurs benefitted last season for body slamming Nash into the press box. After that nothing surprises me with the NBA.

That with the fact that the WNBA is about as watachable as a random Junior High Boys game makes the league a joke in my mind. It used to be about as popular as the NFL back in its heyday and it is sad to see what David Stern has done to it in the last 15 years.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Up until the Finals, I gave the NBA credit for how it scheduled the playoffs. I remember the past couple of seasons, the schedule was crazy: play two games in three nights, then have three days off, etc. You never knew who was playing when because there was no consistency. But this year they had been doing a good job.

Then they open the Finals on Thursday in Boston, and instead of playing two nights later (in Boston), which had been the pattern pretty much this entire postseason, they wait to play Game 2 on Sunday night. Then, they turn around and will play across the country two nights later. I realize TV rules the roost, but I hate when they screw around with the schedule during the most important series of the season. Why not just play Game 2 on Saturday night, then give the teams Sunday and Monday to travel and play Game 3 in L.A. on Tuesday night.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Looks like a Portland contingent is gathering here. Having grown up in LA, I am a dedicated Lakers fan.
JimB

Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

"...when the finals have a starting time of 9:00pm EST, (on a Sunday, even), I'd think the NBA has larger problems than missed calls."

9pm eastern = 6pm western. There's a big chunk of the population out west. Many of them can't even get home in time to see the tipoff. If they start it at 7pm eastern, that's 4pm L.A. time...most people still in the office...now that would be unfair.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

But at least you could hear the first half on the radio, watch the second half on TV. A good compromise?
Still, what about compromising a decent time on the weekend? As it is, my 12-year-old, who loves the game, is lucky if he gets to watch the 1st quarter.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Let the kids stay up late, isn't school over yet?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

There's a reason it's the 2007-08 NBA season. The playoffs seem to start in 2007 and end sometime in 2008. There is a two month off season and it all starts over again.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

Paul, I'd be happy with that compromise!
Obviously it is all about money. They know their prime audience - 18-30 year olds (or something like that) have no problems staying up to midnight. They rule the world now...well at least the entertainment world.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

Just not a good watch on the tube with so many ref mis-calls, bummer for the NBA

Mis-calls .............. yes, indeed !!!!

The refs miss every ball-carrying and traveling that takes place on every possession !!

Old 06-10-2008, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

King- who cares about the tip off. Nothing ever happens in the first quarter that is crucial. Everybody wants to see the fourth quarter. I agree these starting times are plain stupid.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Could be worse. The Refs could have ties to gambling and organized crimes. oh snap!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I am an "old" Celtic fan. I do not like the Lakers at all because of the Bird/Magic era which was awesome! I am rooting for Boston and must admit, those calls on Kobe were so bad that he couldn't even get upset about them. Someone mentioned the 2nd call but I thought the first 3 were completely a joke. I have never agreed with the special teratment for the superstars but would like to see a fair game called. The worst ever was the non-call when Jordon pushed away the Jazz player to free himself for the winning shot.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Again, Kobe is the innocent victim. Enough with the sour grapes, we all catch bad calls. Go C's

Old 06-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wil Jordan

I have watch the NBA since the 1950's and believe that the officiating in the NBA is as bad as it has ever been. As a player, coach, fan all anyone expects from an official is consistency. We are not seeing that today! However, in part the players and the coaches can blame themselves as they have become very good at acting out fouls. Things happen so fast on the court that the officials react to slow. In the game the other night the Lakers since the days of Mikan have been compainers.If you look at the regular season the Lakers shot more free throws than their oppenent 91% of the time. Kobe averaged almost 18 free throws a game tops in the NBA. I watched the game the other night a couple of times and their were only a couple of times were I thought a call was not made or the wrong call was made. Their were 7 more fouls called on the Lakers than the Celtics. But many of those fouls were on shots were free throws were awarded. The Celtics were the more agressive team and got the calls. Kobe only took the ball to the rim four times, he has become a jump shooter and jump shooters don't get many foul calls. I do agree that beacuse of the bad officials the NBA has been hard to watch all year. But in this case the Lakers complaints are not justified.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator

There is no foul in that picture, maybe overrated Pierce pushing off with his back.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Dan, Apparently, the ref agrees with ya. He's practically piggybackin.

While not quite a reach-in foul (yet) could possibly be called Illegal use of Hands.

Don't test me, I've coached youth basketball some years ago and even though we came in last, all our players received a trophy.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Kalafarski

The profit for each game is $80 mil. The pressure to have 7 games is more than huge. The Washington Generals would have a better shot tonight than the Celts.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

I hear the Celts just signed Red Klotz to play point guard tonight.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Shocker. Donaghy says the 2002 and 2005 playoffs were fixed after a mandate from the league office.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Steve you have already been tested and you passed! I played 2 years of JUCO basketball and had a full scholarship to frostberg before blowing me knee in summer league. And I absolutely agree with your assessment of the picture. Dan.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

We now are finding out more about the rigged 2002 NBA finals - all over the news. Quote in plural - "...regular and post season games rigged."

And we the fans are now supposed to believe the 2008 Finals are straight ?

Stern and his officiating crew - very very bad

steve

Old 06-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

The worst case I've ever seen was that mysterious Game 5 of the Heat vs. the Mavs. I've never seen worse officiating in any sport at any time. I had no horse in that race as I'm a baseball/hockey guy who has passing interest in the Timberwolves.

No allegations about the NBA would suprise me if they later turned out to be true.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil

What's that I hear? Oh, the fat lady is warming up.