NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-06-2015, 04:12 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default P2 Pin Collecting Preference

Hello, I have an unusually clean group of these pins and would like the opinion of anyone here on weather or not I should keep them raw or send them to be graded.
There are 47 in total and I will eventually try to sell them. If they were cards I would have them graded...no brainer. I'm wondering if the groups condition would speak enough on its own to get good sale value, or do they have to be slabbed in order to do that.
They are basically unused, with glossy almost candy-like finish on the surface. Colors are vivid, the backs are probably what they looked like in 1911-'12. I think they are nicer to look at outside of a slab for these reasons, so I would like to hear what others think about this in order to make a decision. Thanks!

GB

Old 01-06-2015, 06:56 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
I think they are nicer to look at outside of a slab
I personally like the way PSA encapsulates coins & pins

Old 01-06-2015, 07:10 AM

I would grade them if you're going to keep them because, like Jay said, they look sharp in the PSA holder. But if you are going to sell them, you may actually lose money on some because the cost of grading equals what some of the non-stars sell for. But personally I love this set. I think they're a neat piece of history.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight Graham View Post
I would grade them if you're going to keep them because, like Jay said, they look sharp in the PSA holder. But if you are going to sell them, you may actually lose money on some because the cost of grading equals what some of the non-stars sell for. But personally I love this set. I think they're a neat piece of history.
I like the holders but unless selling probably wouldn't get them graded. I have a few that are graded but they came that way. I am not sure I have sent any pins in to be graded....though I wouldn't ever say I "never" will.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Hank Thomas

I would think grading the HOFs, assuming they will get very high grades, will be worth it, the other players probably not.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Barry Arnold

Default P2

great looking pins.
with Jay W, I think the PSA slab would be a great fit for them.
all the best,
barry
Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Thank you for the replies, its good to get confirmation of what I was just guessing about. Grading the HOF'ers etc. would seem to be the logical way to go if sending them in, my dilemma does come with the less valuable pins. The value on this issue is nominal in comparison to most "set/series" issued items of the era, so I wondered if there would be those who preferred them loose.
To me they seem to be treated like a hybrid of cards and memorabilia. I would think the card side would want the slab to coordinate/incorporate in with their graded cards and the memorabilia side would want something they can hold and display without a computer flip twice the size of the object. I wanted to see if anyone else thought this way.
I'm guessing the white paper backs are the second production run of these? I would have to look again, but I think all the large letter variations in the group have white. I've never given these much thought before because they are "just P2 pins", but having a stash of really nice ones like these has me appreciating them more.

GB

Last edited by boneheadandrube; 01-06-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Joe Maus

Greg, here are mine. I like the old PSA holder. Does anyone know how much they charge to grade a pin?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.0 KB, 133 views)

1909-11 E264 Colgan’s Chips 15/226

1910-12 P2 Sweat Caporal PSA Pins 140/204
Old 01-06-2015, 02:08 PM

Joe, for some reason I like the new holder better, it seems to make the pin look like it's "locked" in and seems to highlight it more. The one thing that I don't like about this set are the large letter variations. Those pins look generic to me.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Hank Thomas

I'm a pin guy, and I prefer mine unslabbed. Much better for display, IMO. But to sell, as I said, I think grading the HOFs would be worth it. Just tried to upload a picture of my pin display, but the upload failed, I have no idea why. It's just an ordinary jpeg from my camera, I can send in emails no problem.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:20 PM

My P2 set is about 75% graded, purchased them pin by pin that way. No hurry to get the rest graded.
I have the Domino Disc set all ungraded and displayed together in a large shadow box because of the different colors and I prefer them that way. They have more eye appeal than the sepia P2s....