NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Default Any sets NOT produced as reprints that are safe .. eBay?

Posted By: DJ

A newbie collector wrote me after he saw I was high bidder on a couple of cards and he posed a good question.

Are there any/many sets that WEREN'T produced as 'reprints' that are simply safe?

I don't know anything about reprints really and I pointed him in this direction as far as increasing his education.

Thanks Group!

DJ

Old 05-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

<<< Are there any/many sets that WEREN'T produced as 'reprints' that are simply safe? >>>

None that I'm aware of that are really worth anything. Being concerned about which cards have reprints shouldn't matter. You're better off presuming that for any "valuable" card out there, it has a good looking reprint. This way you stay cautious, and caution is a good thing to have when buying valuable baseball cards.

Steve

Old 05-04-2005, 03:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I think it's safe to say that the 1943 MP&Co set has not been reprinted.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CHRIS

I THINK ANY SET THAT IS POPULAR MAY BE A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A REPRINT SET.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I agree but the prefered way of purchasing cards these days is the through the viewing of a scan on the internet. There's a big difference between holding the card and looking at a card that was abused on purpose to show age. Remember these things called 'Shows'?

I honestly didn't know there was a Mayo Repo set until I found a Cap Anson on eBay that had the obvious look of wear and it sold for 10% of what it should.

Is there a T205 repo set?

Thanks

DJ

Old 05-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

1910 Washington times

Old 05-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

It really doesn't matter whether or not a particular set was reprinted. With today's technology, scammer's can reprint any card they want to by simply stealing a scan and printing it on a photo printer. The E107 set was never reprinted, yet fakes of the E107 Wagner that I personally own have been sold on Ebay no less than 5 times.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

1970s Dover - no one has successfully reproduced the perforations yet.

Seriously tho - die cut cards such as the Batter Ups from the 30s would be a pain to fake.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Marquette

Yes a very nice T205 reprint set exists, as does a T206 reprint set. I have heard that a reprint T207 set exists but in all my searching for cards from this set, I have never run across a fake T207 (knock on wood).

Old 05-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

I'm with Andy on this topic, although those might more correctly be called forgeries, rather than reprints. The Anson N300 is/are forgeries.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I think that if an eBay collector realizes that anyone can make a counterfiet of about any issue, and many people sell such fakes, they will be in better shape buying on eBay. Knowing this the buyer will start looking to see what is the guarnatee and return policy, does the seller unequivically stat that the item is genuine, what is the seller's feedback, what form of payment does the seller accept. The collector will be conscious of the question "Who's a good seller?" as opposed to randomly picking eBay sellers as if from the yellow pages.

It's a rule to all areas of collecting that the beginner who starts by knowing there are fakes and counterfeits and scams will be incredibly better off than the beginner who assumes everything's good and all sellers are honest.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: thomas mcconnell

the 1911 m-116 sporting life have not been reprinted