NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Default Keep 'em dry

Posted By: Dave

I recently checked my card collection which is stored in a gun safe, and found the dessicant to be in a cake as opposed to powder. I had two bags of dessicant, one large one that had been placed in a cloth bag, and the other came with something I bought and was in the shipping materials. Not much weight but packed in military packaging. It stated that to restore the drying power, it needed 18 hours in an oven at 285 deg F. Right!

I thought a microwave would make quick work of drying this stuff out. After about 2 minutes of waves, the bag was sitting in a white puddle, really rude. I threw this out as it was totally soaked and not close to dry.

My wife bought new today, $1.49 for 13 oz.

The message here: If you use dessicant to keep your cards dry - either in a home safe or a safety deposit box - check it often! If it doesn't feel like sand, but has clumped together, it is time to replace it.

I foung that old socks are a good pouch for this, as it is in a plastic bag when sold. I used two old socks without mates (and without holes in the toes), put half the bag in each, and sewed them shut. Should be good for another year, but I'll check often.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Default Keep 'em dry

Posted By: warshawlaw

A swamp?

I am so lucky to live in a friggin' desert.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Default Keep 'em dry

Posted By: Paul

I use the 33 cuft box. These are nice, because they have a colored indicator that turns pink when it needs to be baked out.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005567220673a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=silica&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=silica&noImage=0

Old 08-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Default Keep 'em dry

Posted By: dd

Hey Adam,

Is there anything wrong with living in a swamp???

Old 08-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default Keep 'em dry

Posted By: Dave

I should mention that I don't live in a swamp, almost a desert, near Spokane Wa, where the average humidity lately has been in the 20's or 30's.

As a side note, be sure the containter of dessicant is well sparated from the cards because it will end up in its own puddle of water if left alone.

I like the idea of a box with red/blue patch as an indicator. I'll look for that next time.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Default Keep 'em dry

Posted By: Bob

You guys are lucky, the temperature has been over 100 here every day for the last 3 weeks with no end in sight. Nah, there's no such thing as global warming.....

Old 08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Default Keep 'em dry

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Bob,

That's terrible... 100 degrees. I'm living in a low humidity area that is about 80 degrees or so... make that mid 70's with the wind chill factor (ocean breeze)... It's truly horrible, I think I'm going to complain to my city council and see what they can do about bringing it up a couple degrees and see if they can add a few % to the barometric pressure...(not to mention getting rid of that nasty ocean breeze)

Old 08-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Default Keep 'em dry

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

but ... two socks without mates - is a pair!