NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Matthew

Default Sets in sheets or Card Savers?

I'm building a '68 and '75 set. I currently have them in 9-card sheets, but I think I'd now prefer them in Card Savers instead. My thinking is that I could somehow have a more intimate feel with a card in a semi-rigid holder, and I'd like to look at each card individually rather than one in nine.

Any thoughts? Has anyone bought and filed a set into one only to switch it to another later? Did you truly enjoy it more, or was it just a "grass is always greener" situation?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Joe D

I think it's just about personal taste. I love flipping through my binders and getting the satisfaction of filling the empty slots as I go along. Its a visual thing. I just never got into card savers.

That said, I do pull out the biggest stars and display then on my bookshelf in screw down holders, but that's only a few.

Joe

T205 86 / 208
T205 NYA 13 / 14
T206 NYA 12 / 28
Diamond Stars 53 / 96 (fronts only!)
1954 Topps 242 / 250
1956 Topps 322 / 340

Last edited by jdeptula; 12-30-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I'm with Joe...I love looking through my binders and seeing everything "together".

I do however have my 54 Topps in card savers (I am about 1/3rd done) only because I have no idea how to binder them and refuse to lay them sideways. I flip through those as well...but would binder them in a second if I could.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:05 AM
Bill Gregory

I am going to start a separate topic on which sheets and binders to use, but I am interested in this topic, as well.

I'd be afraid to store cards in just card savers, especially any with value. I'm a bit of a klutz, and I'm worried about dropping one, and having it bent.

My concern with sheets is having the cards stick to the sheets. I have one binder that have cards I bought as a kid (my collection for the most part back then consisted of 1986-1991). Well, the sheets have become stuck to many of the cards.

If I could display cards in sheets, and be sure they would be protected (and not get damaged from the plastic itself), I'd probably utilize them.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 AM

I have built sets both ways over the years. I have found that I prefer the pages in a binder.

Last edited by YogiBerraFan; 12-31-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Joe D

Stache,

If you're worried about protection then you might want to try putting the cards in penny sleeves first and then putting them in the pages.

Also I think the pages that were made in the 80s were worse then the ones today and they would melt/stock over time. I don't think that is a problem any more.

Joe

T205 86 / 208
T205 NYA 13 / 14
T206 NYA 12 / 28
Diamond Stars 53 / 96 (fronts only!)
1954 Topps 242 / 250
1956 Topps 322 / 340
Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 AM
D.an Jackso.n

I have about 22 sets in binders. I like Card Savers but I think it is hard to get cards perfectly centered in Card Savers and always worried about damaging cards trying to get them in there and moving them around.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

My less expensive sets get stored in binders with 9 pocket pages. My more expensive sets are in Card Savers (actually the Ultra Pro equivilent) inside either "shoe boxes" or "vault boxes." This is done for (1) protection - the tops of the cards tend to stick out of the 9 pocket pages and I don't want them getting dinged up and (2) I also like to look at the cards individually, but it it much more expensive to store them individually in Card Savers.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:03 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Here are a couple of pics of my '54 Topps set in Card Savers stored in a vault box. The more expensive cards are kept seperately.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I use cardsaver I's in 4 pocket sheets so I can have the fun of an album with the protection of a card saver and lots of space around each card. Also makes it a lot less harrowing to rearrange my cards since I don't really handle the cards themselves.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Here are a couple of pics of my '54 Topps set in Card Savers stored in a vault box. The more expensive cards are kept seperately.

That is exactly how my 54s look now, even with Gus up front because I need #1, haha. I just wish I had as many as you...

Question though, is that box common to get at a shop? The box I have is not ideal and would love to have yours. Thanks...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 12-31-2012, 04:52 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
That is exactly how my 54s look now, even with Gus up front because I need #1, haha. I just wish I had as many as you...

Question though, is that box common to get at a shop? The box I have is not ideal and would love to have yours. Thanks...
Yes, they're called vault boxes and they usually go for about $3.50 at the card shops.

If your shop doesn't have them, you can purchase them on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-BC...item484726d741
Old 12-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Larry More.y

I keep my more expensive sets in my fire safe, so for both space reasons and for not keeping anything that could melt on cards in case of a fire, I keep my cards in boxes raw (just like they came out of a pack). I rarely handle these cards, so any possible added wear to the cards is absolutely minimal (if any at all) and not something I am not very concerned with. With less expensive sets, I keep them in binders.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Matthew

Quote:
My less expensive sets get stored in binders with 9 pocket pages. My more expensive sets are in Card Savers (actually the Ultra Pro equivilent) inside either "shoe boxes" or "vault boxes." This is done for (1) protection - the tops of the cards tend to stick out of the 9 pocket pages and I don't want them getting dinged up and (2) I also like to look at the cards individually, but it it much more expensive to store them individually in Card Savers.
Dave, are the Ultra Pro Card Savers you speak of a particular type of Card Saver (eg, I, II, III, IV?), or are they a different make/model of the semi-rigid holder? (Thanks in advance!)
Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Yes, they're called vault boxes and they usually go for about $3.50 at the card shops.

If your shop doesn't have them, you can purchase them on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-BC...item484726d741
Thanks...very appreciated. I will be picking up a couple.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew80 View Post
Dave, are the Ultra Pro Card Savers you speak of a particular type of Card Saver (eg, I, II, III, IV?), or are they a different make/model of the semi-rigid holder? (Thanks in advance!)
Ultra Pro is just another brand. Same thing, different brand. My shop just happens to carry all Ultra Pro products, not Card Saver. So, it's really not a matter of choice for me, just convenience. BTW, Ultra Pro does make different sizes just like Card Saver.

From what I've been told (and I don't know if it's true or not), the same factory in China makes the product for both Ultra Pro and Card Saver.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Matthew

Quote:
Ultra Pro is just another brand. Same thing, different brand. My shop just happens to carry all Ultra Pro products, not Card Saver. So, it's really not a matter of choice for me, just convenience. BTW, Ultra Pro does make different sizes just like Card Saver.

From what I've been told (and I don't know if it's true or not), the same factory in China makes the product for both Ultra Pro and Card Saver.
Thanks, Dave. I wasn't aware that Ultra Pro made these holders. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Paul

I use 9-pocket Ultra Pro sheets for 1957+

Everything earlier I either stack raw or in semi-regid top loaders. I would prefer to use Card Savers, but I find the fit to be a little too tight, so there is a pretty good chance at flipping/chipping a corner upon insertion, or creasing the card upon insertion or removal.

How do you folks who use Card Savers manage the tight fit - entry/exit damage - problem?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
How do you folks who use Card Savers manage the tight fit - entry/exit damage - problem?
They make Card Savers in many different sizes - some for '52-'56 Topps and some for '57+ - card Saver 1 and Card Saver 2. I'm not sure which is which since I use the Ultra Pro (they have different sizes too).

Sounds like you may be using the wrong size Card Saver because they should slide in with ease.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Just looked and Card Saver 1s are bigger ('52-'56 Topps) and Card Saver 2s are smaller (regular size cards).