NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-29-2017, 12:29 PM
Mike

Default 1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese

Here is the latest addition to my 53 Bowman Color set.

Mike

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2017, 04:56 AM
Glyn Parson

Default one of my favorites

This is easily one of my all time favorite cards. I am surprised at how stagnant it has been price wise. It seems to sell for close to the same numbers it sold for 25 years ago. Most cards like this sell for considerably more than they did back then in high grades. This card is essentially unchanged.

Last edited by glynparson; 08-30-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:43 AM

Nice card Mike. This is one of my favorite action shots in the Topps run. Why they didn't crop it a little different to highlight the action - is a mystery to me.

Z

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 08-30-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:32 AM
Al Richter

Since Bowman was bought by Topps I guess it is sort of in their run
Old 08-30-2017, 02:50 PM

Definitely a classic card, and the image on your copy is sharp, Mike, with no print dot. Congrats!
Old 09-04-2017, 06:36 PM

One of the nicest card sets, even after 60+ years.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:01 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Default 53 Reese

Beautiful card, my favorite pose from my favorite bowman set. Bowman and Topps really put out fantastic sets that year
Old 09-05-2017, 12:41 PM

Default Reese

I believe I read somewhere that this card was actually the only card in the set that was a black & white photo and then colorized. Anyone else know if that is true?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966CUDA View Post
I believe I read somewhere that this card was actually the only card in the set that was a black & white photo and then colorized. Anyone else know if that is true?
I have also heard on good authority that this is indeed true.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

I still don't get the geometry.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Steve

Default Colorize this

Quote:
Bowman invested quite a lot into the Kodachrome color photo process for its 1953 set, so it would have been strange for them to dig up a black and white image and colorize it, although I do believe that the photo itself dates back to the 1940's. The company did colorize many B & W images for its other sets, though, so perhaps they did as well for the Reese card. But, was it the same photo editor who did the poor cropping that also did the colorization? Maybe the unusual red undershirt indicates the photo was a Kodachrome, after all. Pee Wee was adept at levitation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pee Wee Reese Levitating.jpg (78.8 KB, 144 views)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
That would explain the red sleeves...
Old 09-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaidly View Post
That would explain the red sleeves...
I think it's more likely that a photo editor would color dark sleeves as the normal Dodger blue, no? But, I guess he might have been sniffing photo chemicals for too long on the job. I have seen other players wearing red undershirts in spring training games, so the red sleeves on Pee Wee seem to argue more for an actual color photo in my view. Might it be that it is the unusual red sleeves, in addition to the great action pose, that made the card as memorable as it now is?
Old 09-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Scott Russell

This is my all-time favorite card. If I'm in a position to acquire a high-end one it may become the only card in my "collection." I do also love the 1952 Berk Ross. They loved showing Pee Wee in action.

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-07-2017, 05:45 PM

Hmmm, the red sleeves is an interesting argument against a colorized B&W photo.

When I mentioned "good authority" in my post above, I was referring to Griffins here on Net54. He mentions it in this old thread on CU, and I also found it referenced in a very thorough article on the '53 Bowman Color set by Dean Hanley which appeared on SCD in 2010.

Quote:
The most famous card in the 1953 Bowman set, #33 of Pee Wee Reese is actually a painted over Black & White photo.
I wonder where this idea of the card being a colorized B&W photo originated. Maybe Griffins will see the thread and chime in.

BTW, one thing I learned from Dean's article about the set (I never noticed this feature on the backs):

Quote:
The card backs also had empty spaces below the player’ s statistics so that the kids could write in the player’ s statistics for 1953. Thank goodness, that only a few of the kids took Bowman’s suggestion to deface the cards with handwritten numbers.

Last edited by CW; 09-07-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:43 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Usually the skin tones are the most revealing telltale signs of B/W to color manipulation, but the scan is too small to really study them. One odd thing to note, too, is the way there is seemingly an oval-esque framing to the picture, where the outlying areas (all 4 corners) are unnaturally darkened. These days, you can do that in photoshop in a split second. Not sure if that provides evidence supporting or refuting colorization, but there was clearly work done to the original image.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:55 PM

I agree about the cropping but I think that's part of what stands out about the card. That you would never see an action shot with so much background like that today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 08:17 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Pee Wee was adept at levitation.
Yes he was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pee wee.jpg (48.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg pee wee2.jpg (61.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg pee wee 3.jpg (32.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg pee wee 4.JPG (47.2 KB, 93 views)
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 09-07-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:00 AM
D@vid L@dd

Great images!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Usually the skin tones are the most revealing telltale signs of B/W to color manipulation, but the scan is too small to really study them. One odd thing to note, too, is the way there is seemingly an oval-esque framing to the picture, where the outlying areas (all 4 corners) are unnaturally darkened. These days, you can do that in photoshop in a split second. Not sure if that provides evidence supporting or refuting colorization, but there was clearly work done to the original image.
Good point about the strange darkening on the edges of the image. I had always assumed that it was the result of some sort of photo development goof, but perhaps you are right. I agree that the color image seems too well developed and detailed for the usual kind of colorization process employed at that time. Bob Lemke had some interesting comments about the '53 Bowman set and his attempts to produce a replicard from a monochrome photo using colorization:
http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2014/04...on-custom.html