NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2016, 02:07 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Default Cards recently sold at auction or private sale circa Nov/Dec 1999

I was closet diving on my day off today and found an old SMR dated Nov/Dec 1999. I figured I'd scan the section that had recent sales of cards so others can have a peek at the selling prices.

I'd sure hate to be the guy who plopped down $11k on that McGwire card. The SMR price for a '52 Topps Mantle PSA 6 was $9K. Doh!!!

Old 10-31-2016, 02:22 PM
Rick Seuferer

A 1997 SP Authentic Jake Plummer PSA 10 sold for $12.50 in September.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:33 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Now that's a nice return!
Old 10-31-2016, 06:07 PM
je.sse @rnot

I had to look up that nomar. Two recent ebay sales, 45 and 57.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 11-01-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:26 PM

Shiny stuff makes for a great investment...lol!!!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 10-31-2016, 10:29 PM
J@son C@rter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Shiny stuff makes for a great investment...lol!!!

Cheers,
Blair
I have two words for you- DEREK JETER

1993 Sp PSA 9- $368.55
VCP now $2816.25

Well, that was more than two words!
Old 10-31-2016, 11:16 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddux31 View Post

1993 Sp PSA 9- $368.55
VCP now $2816.25

"Little Sun"
Old 11-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddux31 View Post

1993 Sp PSA 9- $368.55
VCP now $2816.25

Two more: Joe Mauer

Best of luck with the crystal ball gazing,

Larry
Old 11-01-2016, 03:59 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Dean, You need to look at Griffey Jr. rookies if you really want to get a jolt, especially 87 Bellinghams. They were bringing between $2500-4500 in gem mint grades....I know because I still have 10 of those bad boys....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 11-01-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:43 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Investing in active players has always been a crap shoot. I would have bet the house the Dale Murphy would be a Hall of Famer. Griffey needed a couple more Griffey-like seasons to be a true upper echelon HOFer instead of just the best of his generation. Still, I am tempted to pick up a couple of nice Mike Trout rookies. Only my extreme caution on pitchers keeps me away from a Kershaw. Honestly, I am not sure that some of the regular rookies of guys like Donaldson, Arrietta, Sale, Cabrera, Staunton, etc. may not be good long term investments (meaning returning 4 to 10 times your money). They don't make them by the millions any more. Of course whether anyone will ever get back to caring about the non-auto jersey numbered to 25 cards is anybody's guess. And for every one you hit, you'll end up with some Joey Hamiltons.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:01 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Investing in active players has always been a crap shoot. I would have bet the house the Dale Murphy would be a Hall of Famer. Griffey needed a couple more Griffey-like seasons to be a true upper echelon HOFer instead of just the best of his generation. Still, I am tempted to pick up a couple of nice Mike Trout rookies. Only my extreme caution on pitchers keeps me away from a Kershaw. Honestly, I am not sure that some of the regular rookies of guys like Donaldson, Arrietta, Sale, Cabrera, Staunton, etc. may not be good long term investments (meaning returning 4 to 10 times your money). They don't make them by the millions any more. Of course whether anyone will ever get back to caring about the non-auto jersey numbered to 25 cards is anybody's guess. And for every one you hit, you'll end up with some Joey Hamiltons.
Todd- What killed Griffey's values were the feel in 1999-2000 he was definitely going to break Aaron's home run record. Keep in mind, this was also because most people did not put him in the category of a cheater (steroids, etc...) Had injuries not plagued that guy, I really believe he would have broke the record, and his cards would have gone even higher. I was hoping that his voting percentage in the HOF would have brought back a little value in his rookies, not sure it has though...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 11-01-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:53 PM
J@son C@rter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Two more: Joe Mauer

Best of luck with the crystal ball gazing,

Larry
If you are "investing" in players and such, you are in the wrong hobby. Myself, I am a player collector and those that I collect are ones I have followed and admire.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:11 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Todd- What killed Griffey's values were the feel in 1999-2000 he was definitely going to break Aaron's home run record. Keep in mind, this was also because most people did not put him in the category of a cheater (steroids, etc...) Had injuries not plagued that guy, I really believe he would have broke the record, and his cards would have gone even higher. I was hoping that his voting percentage in the HOF would have brought back a little value in his rookies, not sure it has though...
He was also a rookie during and era when producers literally could not have printed more cards, the Dutch Tulip Bulb era of baseball cards. I agree he was a special player, nearly flawless while at the top of his game.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:06 AM
Rich Klein

Griffey may hold his value longer than you think as he was the "hobby poster boy" in the 1990's and most collectors have fond memories of him.

And the HOF induction without any steroid taint helps him as well. No, he is not going to be Mantle, but he was the closest thing to Willie Mays I ever saw.

And, those collectors from the 1990's who do return, will go after Griffey so I would not be surprised to see a bit of a renaissance in his prices. The three players since 1980 I would keep long term are Ripken, Griffey and Jeter

Regards
Rich
Old 11-02-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Griffey may hold his value longer than you think as he was the "hobby poster boy" in the 1990's and most collectors have fond memories of him.

And the HOF induction without any steroid taint helps him as well. No, he is not going to be Mantle, but he was the closest thing to Willie Mays I ever saw.

And, those collectors from the 1990's who do return, will go after Griffey so I would not be surprised to see a bit of a renaissance in his prices. The three players since 1980 I would keep long term are Ripken, Griffey and Jeter

Regards
Rich
How about Cabrera? Career numbers thus far plus triple crown put him in high standing imo.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

Cabrera will disappear from the pantheon and turn into a baseball encyclopedia foot note or an answer to a trivia question - I say this because I don't think everyone will remember which players certainly did steroid, might have, or were taking some other grey market PED. They will just get lumped into a pile. Consider the entire era a magnitude of the black sox scandal . There were 8 men out and only historians/enthusiasts understand the difference between their degree of guilt. Function of time blurring memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by BBB; 11-02-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
Cabrera will disappear from the pantheon and turn into a baseball encyclopedia foot note or an answer to a trivia question - I say this because I don't think everyone will remember which players certainly did steroid, might have, or were taking some other grey market PED. They will just get lumped into a pile. Consider the entire era a magnitude of the black sox scandal . There were 8 men out and only historians/enthusiasts understand the difference between their degree of guilt. Function of time blurring memory.

Pujols??
Old 11-03-2016, 06:51 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post

I disagree. Winning the Triple Crown is a quite an exclusive club. Since 1900 about half as many players have won the Triple crown as have hit 500 home runs.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:59 AM
Rich Klein

I love Cabrera and Pujols as players but they do not seem to "transcend" the game the way the three players I mentioned. That's why I limited to those three.

Look -- Killebrew and F Robinson have more than 550 career homers and no hint of scandals but we don't go crazy over their cards.

I'll stay with my point, the three players I mentioned transcend the game

I do believe at least ONE of today's younger stars and Trout is certainly off to a great start, will join that group. But I would not be surprised if someone like Correa, Machado or even Bryant becomes the face of the generation. It will occur again.

Rich
Old 11-03-2016, 07:08 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

It's a tough thing to judge. Maybe, since we have a 365/24/7 media culture today, none of these guys will escape today with their reputations unsoiled. Even Jeter, who walked on water for many years in NY, has taken some hits post retirement. Mickey Mantle was a god to the guys collecting his cards today at six figures. Yes, we all know now he was no saint. Hardly. But at the time many people bonded with him he was a mythical, greater than earthy figure. Today we expose these guys as just flawed people like the rest of us. Scratch Jose Fernandez and J. Familia off the list. I don't think people today have anywhere near the same relationship with these guys. And even the good guys (like a Carlos Beltran or a Curtis Granderson) don't bond with people the way guys from our youth did.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:09 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Jordan and Gretzky were the absolute face of their sport. People will buy their cards (rookie cards at least) regardless of what happens to them the rest of their lives.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-03-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzolot View Post
Pujols??

Pujols was on my mind too. He's gotta be in next wave after the big 3. Frank Thomas and Greg Maddox in that next wave too.

To someone else's point, none of those guys in the next wave transcend the game. It's a fair point.

Last edited by BBB; 11-03-2016 at 10:40 PM.