NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-05-2002, 01:06 AM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Posted By: Ron

I've recently inherited a set of baseball cards from the early 1900's, that I was hoping someone would know something about. It's the fan craze American league set, the ones with the blue back. They are still in the wrapper. The set is broken up into two packs and looks original. I've found a few things about it on the internet, but not much. I've seen a couple of the cards on Ebay, but only seperate cards. Has anyone ever seen a whole set? How much would they go for? Thanks for any help! --Ron

Old 07-05-2002, 01:15 AM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Posted By: Andy Baran

Ron,

This is what the original box that the cards came in looks like. Based on what you are describing, it sounds like it could be a reprint. Both Fan Craze sets have been reprinted. Good Luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1841541289

Old 07-05-2002, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 07-05-2002, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

I've got the board and box too, that's exactly what mine look like I actually bought the reprint set a while ago, so I could open them and see what cards were in the set. Didn't want to open the other ones quite yet, but you can definitly tell a difference between the ones i have and the reprint set.

Old 07-05-2002, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Posted By: scott (runscott)

are you thinking about breaking up the sets?

"Teach a kid how to be a good loser and that's what he'll grow up to be" - Scott G's Dad

Old 07-05-2002, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

The wrapper that they're in is kind of a wax paper but not quite...almost a tissue paper, but not quite. If that makes any sense! The set is split up into two packs, It looks like half in one pack and half the set in the other. I don't know about splitting them up. Is that a good idea? Is there any way to get cards like this graded or at least with something that says they are for real and not a fake? I know they are not a fake, because they were given to me by a very elderly lady who had them in her drawer for years and years, but I would like to get them insured and I'm not sure I could without something saying they are original. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-05-2002, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

They're both (you've only got one) listed in the SCD guide, which by now is 1 1/2 years out of date, insofar as it ever wasn't out of date. HOFers go for much higher than list. I bought a lajoie ex for $400 recently. maybe I got gipped a little, but not much.Lipset's auction before last (damn--I can't find it) had BOTH sets, and the blue backs went very high, even though they were in poorer condition than the redbacks.

I'd been collecting Fan Craze for 10 years before I found a blue back (which may explain why I may have got gipped a little).

If you don't want to keep them, I'd think a Mastro auction would be the way to go (damn it--i want some!). They really are hard to find. And, I gather, yours are in great shape (most actually are--guess it wasn't a very popular game, fortunately). But Mastro would definitely be interested.

Old 07-05-2002, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Old 07-05-2002, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

LLipset@aol.com

I don't know why everyone thinks of Mastro first;
Lew's nicer.

No, I do not think people are tired of American League Fan craze cards in Lipset auctions. especially in great shape.

GOD, would I love to have those cards!

Old 07-05-2002, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Posted By: jeff

Julie,

would you like these cards? you have this tendency to be ambiguous sometimes.

jeff

Old 07-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

Are there any Christy's in the set?

Old 07-05-2002, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Posted By: vorthian

<< I don't know about splitting them up. Is that a good idea? Is there any way to get cards like this graded or at least with something that says they are for real and not a fake? >>

Ron:

If they are authentic, I wouldn't split them up nor would I even have any ideas of grading them. While there is a huge market for graded items, there is also a huge market for original, unopened items. I would definitely give Mastro a call.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2002, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Christy was overlooked in this set. Sorry Dan.

Old 07-05-2002, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Posted By: scott (runscott)

Boy, would I love to get my hands on those!!!

"Teach a kid how to be a good loser and that's what he'll grow up to be" - Scott G's Dad

Old 07-07-2002, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Old 07-08-2002, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Posted By: Tom Lawrie

he played in the National League. (Sorry to be a smart-ass, but couldn't resist.) Why was he overlooked in the National League set? That's the question.

Old 07-08-2002, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Posted By: Tom L.

I thought you were serious.

Old 07-08-2002, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

Julie,

I was just stating that Christy Mathewson was completely overlooked in the Fan Craze Set, regardless of the league.

Old 07-08-2002, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

I don't mean to be ambiguous. I think several of us would like at least some of these cards, but we all feel that consigning them to mastro, or lipset, would be the way for you to go, because they are in such high demand in ANY form, especially wrapperd in original wrappers and in mint condition.
Andy: Looked at my Fan Craze Lajoie again, and it looks a lot better. Dunno why. ex-mint rather than ex.

Besides, I just bought a S,.F. Hess Ewing, unless my husband can talk me out of it by Tuesday when it arrives. Some fool (United) sent me a credit card. That'll teach 'em.

Old 07-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Default Fan Craze set

The "portrait pose" is in the Allegheny set already.