NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Default An Offshoot of First Amendment- The Freedom to Post

Posted By: E, Daniel

Dan, I hear you....there are interesting grains within many of Peter C's threads but a dysfunction in communicating them. You are willing to breeze through the extras to find the point at hand, but others started giving up these last couple of days because of the 'fingers in the ears - la la la la la - I can't hear anything you're saying' stage this unfortunately seems to have gotten to.
Everyone has their idiocyncracies and when we only have to read them in bunches every few days or weekly we gladly flow with it all.

But when someone posts incessantly, gleefully flicking a piece of sand in every annoyed oyster on this board whilst doing the 'la la la la la' thing...boy that's annoying.
And I know I annoy people too, which is why I try not to post too much .

I saw a really interesting piece on cable last night about the man Rainman was based on. One thing that stood out was a segment by a proffessional who interviewed him - making the observation that Kim Peek (rainman) wasn't able to understand what someone else was thinking, a zero empathy intellectual state. Peek had a series of pat answers he gave for everything that met his understanding of the world and what any one individual might think regardless of the actual circumstances at hand, and he applied that same statement to every single person he met.
Peter C. has shown much the same trait and frankly it baffles me. He seems certain he can push whatever his detractors feel to the side and blindly push on with his own thoughts in his own 30 act play.

That's where the whole newbie thing makes it even stranger. For a relative newcomer to have such intense drive to overwhelm people he has little relationship to is completely bizarre.

Sure he doesn't bug everyone. No one bugs everyone, but all those who stick it out here find they change their style to match the needs of this community, carving out a niche for their own online character. Peter C. tells us he's here to change it all up, we're the ones who are stifling and holding back real enjoyment and content from being shared. Many of us don't want it to change and would be happy if he just toned it down. Why does he refuse?

Daniel

Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Perhaps Peter C. subscribes to the Wildean philosophy that holds that the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about. He sees that his behavior, obstinate and annoying as it may be to many on this board, gets him the greatest amount of attention, so he persists in it. Juvenile, but it does seem to work.

Or he just may be an unfairly judged, but sincere angel, sent to the board to enlighten the stodgy old establishment types. Ya think?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

E Daniel your last question is the key and I truely believe he does it because he enjoys it! Peter C. In keeping with the context of this thread way back in the middle I posted up a ticket and asked a simple question. what is it and why is it significant! (They Dan wrecked it all by showing us how smart he is) LOL You then admitted to me you didnt know what that ticket was. Now stop and think all that effort you put into thinking up all these threads wouldnt your time be better spend doing a little reading and try and get a little history lesson into the game itself? Most of us have never met but my visual picture of you is a person who pretends to have vast knowledge about baseball and in reality knows very little. But wants to be included in every thread.Take some time off the board and be a lurker for awhile . And in time you may learn something just by reading and not by posting!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Bob,

You hit it right on the nose with the last part of your post.

Peter C.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Peter, you don't have to prove everyones' worst beliefs about you so frequently. Perhaps you could buy a dog instead?

Oh, and here's a smiley for you:

Old 10-18-2007, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I didn't know for sure but I guessed the ticket was from David Wells perfect game.  What else could it have been... it wasn't that big a stretch...

If I remember correctly, didn't Wells wear an OLD Babe Ruth hat during that game or did he wear the hat during another game??? 

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Marty,

From what I understand.... Wells asked the Yankees if he could wear the number 3 as his number. And he was serious.

You gotta love that gumption.

I really liked Wells as a yankee - and the perfect game in pinstripes for a pitcher who was a true yankee fan himself.... that was a great moment.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

It was a different game. And the umpires--or Torre, I don't remember which--made him remove it, as it was no longer a regulation cap.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

From what I know about David Wells, he's a great guy, one of a kind.

I just thought he didn't fit in with the New Yankees (Steinbrenner's Yankees). They try to project a corporate image and David Wells just wasn't that kind of guy.

Peter C.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator

The Yankees have tried to project a button-down, professional winning machine image at least as far back as 1930, when Joe McCarthy became manager. He made his players appear in public in jacket-and-tie.

Once again, Peter, you might try checking your facts before you make your pronouncements.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

David,

Of course you're right, I was just trying to point out that David Wells really didn't fit into that corporate image.

Peter C.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

I think it was during the Stump Merrill(sp?) days, either he or another "officio" told Mattingly to get his hair cut! There was a minor to-do in the press for a few days and Donny was really p.o.-ed.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Administrator

On the main board, there is a thread started by Lee Behrens about the direction of our forum. It looks like the Establishment is starting to worry and the Resistence Movement is getting stronger...hurrah for the First Amendment.

Peter C.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Peter- ?

Old 10-22-2007, 09:09 AM
Administrator

"Establishment":

Knowledgable, experienced collectors and/or dealers. Usually have something substantial to contribute regarding vintage cards and memorabilia.

"Resistance":

Narcissists, smitten with the sound of their own voices. Have never taken the time to learn much about anything, and their lack of maturity blinds them to their own ignorance.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

WTF??? Gads.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Peter,

Can we make an agreement? Can we let this whole thing just die off so the memorabilia board can get back to how it was? We've had some awesome new posters over the past few days and I've felt really good about the forum. It really looks like we're getting some quality threads going.

I'll be man enough to apologize if my opinion in the past has in any way offended you. I would like to see if we can all just shake hands and just talk about the hobby we enjoy.

I don't know what else to say. I don't get the whole establishment/resistance/anger thing.

Greg

Old 10-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

'I don't know what else to say. I don't get the whole establishment/resistance/anger thing.'
i don't get it either....what does this have to do with posting on topic,peter if you want to post on baseball topics, psa has a sports talk forum and you can have all the freedom and lead the resistance over there.
http://forums.collectors.com/categories.cfm?catid=40

Old 10-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

For Gods sake Peter,
Why do you have to continue. You yourself are always the one to who "brings these back to life" And to bring Lee Behrens post into it. Lees post asks the question about trying to get the forum on that side back to the origional starting point Talk about vintage cards. Period! Then Peter C. comes along again with talk about the "establishment" "Resistence Movement" Come on Peter is this how shallow you really are? Post up a picture at least once in awhile of a card, a piece of memorabilia. SOMETHING!! Dont you even read what you wrote yourself!
Im going to stop posting so much! Im going to take some time and think about what I will post from now on! Peter BS!!! Your the same old Peter with the same old problem. As I said before Peter GIVE US A BREAK! You mind numbing posts really do piss people off!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Peter,

My feelings of annoyance toward your posts have now turned to pity for you. Whatever you're looking for, I hope you'll find it. Whether you'll find it on an Internet bulletin board, I don't know. Please seek help.

Take good care,

Rob

Old 10-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Guys and Gals,

I don't know what your problem is. Jeff L. and Peter S. used their heavy-handed approach to shut me up and you said nothing. However, you cannot take any ribbing about being the Establishment. Remember, change is good, without people willing to change there would be no internet.

Peter C.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

"I think that part of the problem with the posters policing themselves is that many of them have a broader thought of what the vintage baseball card forum is all about (peter C is a prime example, an extreme maybe). There is a "mission statement" at the top of the page that seem to be forgotten."

Lee

Peter, did you read this posting from Lee in the thread you are referring to? Does this read to you, that he is supportive of your philosophy?

Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Nevermind.

Joann

Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

PLEASE LET THIS BE THE LAST POST ON THIS THREAD. ANYONE POSTING AFTER THIS WILL RECEIVE THE DUCT TAPE AND SOCK FULL OF QUARTERS TREATMENT AT THE NEXT NATIONAL.