NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 11-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Yankeefan51

Default Hopefully he'll be forced to sell his collection

Whilst we appreciate great collections, we find particularly satisfying that one of the many voices of the ultra left has been silenced. Perhaps, with a bit of luck, that silence will last a long-long time...and the prices on high grade
Kalazamoo Bats, Four Base Hits and other 19th century will come down as quickly as the liberals have been silenced.

There is justice after all.

We do buy from ultra-liberals

MSNBC suspends Keith Olbermann
Anchor made contributions to the Democratic party

By Ted Johnson
Keith Olbermann

Olbermann

Keith Olbermann has been suspended indefinitely without pay for making compaign contributions to three Democratic candidates this cycle.

MSNBC president Phil Griffin issued a terse statement in which he said, "I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night. Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay."

Politico reported on Friday that Olbermann donated $2,400 each to two Arizona representatives, Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords, as well as Jack Conway, a Senate contender in Kentucky, in violation of NBC News policy.

Before his suspension was announced, Olbermann told Politico, "I did not privately or publicly encourage anyone else to donate to these campaigns nor to any others in this election or any previous ones, nor have I previously donated to any political campaign at any level."

Olbermann has been critical of News Corp.'s donations to the Republican Governors Assn. this past cycle, and there has been some concern that his campaign contributions not only undermine those arguments but his attacks on spending by independent groups that do not have to disclose their donors.

News organizations typically bar employees from making campaign contributions, and although Olbermann is by no means an objective reporter and has not tried to portray himself as one, he still was apparently required to comply with the policy of the NBC News division.

Chris Hayes, a frequent on-air contributor, will fill in for Olbermann tonight.

His suspension is likely to set up a debate over whether cable news personalities, already unabashed in expressing political points of view or advocating for causes and even candidates, can also engage in elections via campaign contributions.

At Fox News, Sean Hannity has appeared at fund-raisers and has given to candidates and political action committees, including a contribution to Rep. Michele Bachmann's PAC in August.

But even among its commentators, Fox News has tried to reign in some activities. In April, Hannity was billed as the headliner at a Tea Party event and fund-raiser in Cincinnati, but the network ordered him not to participate. The network's VP of programming, Bill Shine, said at the time, "Fox News never agreed to allow the Cincinnati Tea Party organizers to use Sean Hannity's program to profit from broadcasting his show from the event." The action came just one week after News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch told a Washington forum, "I don't think we should be supporting the Tea Party or any party."
Old 11-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Matt Hall

Cool thread!?
Old 11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
R@y H0lmes

This is why Bruce is Bruce and I, for one, wouldn't sell anything to him if he was the last person standing.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:48 PM

Ugh! Politics have invaded my safe place!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Yankeefan51

Default Ain't no ray of sunshine

Ray

We doubt you have any items that meet our standards.

And when you pass, and your collection is offered for sale,
we will, in fact be able to cherry pick want we want, should there
be some heretofore unknown item for our museum quality collection

Hope you and Keith are forever suspended.

Bruce

Last edited by Yankeefan51; 11-05-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Jim VB

Deleted because it was properly moved.

Last edited by Jim VB; 11-05-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Bruce, you are really a jerk

Last edited by oldjudge; 11-05-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:52 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default olbermann

nothing wrong with a newscaster or anyone donating as long as they do not promote the candidate on their show
and does anybody actually believe that dorskind actually owns any cards
Old 11-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
You are really a jerk

Jay,

You REALLY need to start using the "Quote" feature so we know which jerk you're talking to!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan51 View Post
And when you pass, and your collection is offered for sale,
we will, in fact be able to cherry pick want we want,

Bruce

Bruce,

My understanding was that your health was so poor that it was you who was circling the drain, both physically and financially.

Glad to hear you're feeling, and doing, better!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Sorry Jim--I clarified my post
Old 11-05-2010, 03:02 PM
R@y H0lmes

And people wonder why some people would rather find other baseball card boards to use.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholmes View Post
And people wonder why some people would rather find other baseball card boards to use.
Ray - don't judge the board by one idiot.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Yankeefan51

Default Jay -

Jay

It is free country. We, for example, never worked for scandal ridden company that nearly brought the economy to its knees.

We simply reported the facts about a well-know collector.

And you who are so quick to call someone a jerk, would we are sure buy a 19th century card on your want list...if Bid Ladden was the seller. So let's call a spade a spade.

You have a great collection, but when it comes to great cards, politics goes out the window. Remember you paid us a record price for a Kalamazzo Bat Team card of Pittsburgh.

Finally, we never call Keith a jerk, we simply indicated that we were pleased to see that NBC has silenced his voice for breaking the very rules he attacked
the great people at Fox.

And it would be nice if there was less competition in themarketplace. Time to stick to trading and basbeall cards. And do what is RIGHT for America!

Bruce
Old 11-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Sorry Jim--I clarified my post

LOL! Don't worry. I kinda knew.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ray - don't judge the board by one idiot.

Ray,

What Matt said.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:26 PM

After reading some of your posts, I just have to ask....exactly how many..."WE's" live in that head of yours? And why do you post your opinions on these type of topics on a forum that has cards, sports and memorabilia as the primary focus? I have no idea who you are but apparently several other forum members do. Make a positive contribution to this forum toward the hobby or go elsewhere with your drama!

Last edited by k-dog; 11-05-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:28 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

"...would we are sure buy a 19th century card on your want list...if Bid Ladden was the seller. So let's call a spade a spade."

"Remember you paid us a record price for a Kalamazzo Bat Team card of Pittsburgh."

I guess you proved your point
Old 11-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWeso81 View Post
Ugh! Politics have invaded my safe place!
+1
Old 11-05-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Is there a good one you can reference (one without Bruce) ? I would like to check it out.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Barry Sloate

The great people at Fox.....Blecch! Come on Bruce, let's call a spade a spade.

Last edited by barrysloate; 11-05-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Jerk

Bruce- "WE" all think that these boards are the wrong place for your nonsense. Why not post over at the Rush Limbaugh forums?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Free to speak, inappropriate forum

"Yankee 51" is free to express his opinions, of course. And I am free to reply that he is a fool, and a rude one at that.
Hank Thomas
Old 11-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Does anyone know if Olbermann has a particular focus to his collecting?

And Hank, you behave yourself.

Ken
Old 11-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
Does anyone know if Olbermann has a particular focus to his collecting?

And Hank, you behave yourself.

Ken

Ken,

I have sold Keith some cards in the past. His "focus" seems to be very widespread. He has an extensive collection in all areas, from vintage to modern. He was truly a very nice guy to deal with. He hates to mix politics and the hobby.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default eBay

I have sold a few different baseball items to him on eBay in the past. He was a quick payer and never asked me about my Political leanings. In terms of him being a collector, he is OK with me.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:34 PM

I hope Bruce,s health is fine and you won,t find a better collector than Bruce. I have met him several times over about 30 years and even though we collect on different levels he was very helpful in person. CN
Old 11-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
I hope Bruce,s health is fine and you won,t find a better collector than Bruce. I have met him several times over about 30 years and even though we collect on different levels he was very helpful in person. CN
Oh, I get it, because Bruce was helpful in person, he can start a thread wanting someone to lose their collection because of his political views. That makes sense.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Barry Sloate

I just read online that MSNBC will soon be merging with Comcast, which very well might change the direction of the station from its liberal POV. If that is true, then shows like Countdown would likely be dropped anyway. I suspect there is more to this story that we will find out about down the road.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:08 AM

Damn it! Ever since Olbermann bought a couple of high grade pieces from me I've been trying to hook him with some of my ebay listings. Such is life...
Old 11-06-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Bruce- "WE" all think that these boards are the wrong place for your nonsense. Why not post over at the Rush Limbaugh forums?
Does anyone know What Rush collects?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default going against the grain.....again

Well, I was out yesterday when this thread started. I am going to go against the grain here. I think Bruce was within his rights to post the thread and comments he posted. While I don't want to get political, or have the board get political, Keith O is a great collector, regardless of his political views and this is certainly newsworthy stuff in my opinion. I will probably get lambasted for my thoughts on this subject but that is ok. Folks will know how I feel. I feel that as long as it has to do with vintage cards then it can be talked about on the board. I probably wouldn't have even moved this thread but since another moderator did, then so be it. I won't reverse that decision by a colleague.

How freaking stale of a place would this be if the mods were censoring stuff all of the time. How can you know if you disagree with someone, or think they are an idiot , if we don't let them express themselves? "Disagreement" makes the world go around, and there will be a lot of it in this thread, no doubt. If someone thinks this board sucks because this thread is let go, well, that is their right to say that too. In a thread like this I doubt the participants can stay private if they make strong statements, but other than that, I see no big problem with it. As far as Keith making contributions to a political candidate that is between him and his company that he is contracted to work for. I have always had good dealings with him and consider him another fine collector. I have different political views than many of my good friends on the board but that doesn't mean we aren't friends. Friends can disagree with each other and still be civil. I hope that is the way the thread goes. Those are my thoughts as of now but I reserve the right to hear arguments and change my mind if I am persuaded to. best regards

BTW, I do disagree with Bruce's thoughts, I just prefer to let him express them.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Jim VB

What kind of a weak-ass, "I disagree" post is that? Your entire post is missing all the spit, all the fire, all the venom!

You need to take a serious lesson from Bruce. You didn't issue one death wish, one financial collapse wish, or even a wish for failing health!

Against the grain... my ass.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I agree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
What kind of a weak-ass, "I disagree" post is that? Your entire post is missing all the spit, all the fire, all the venom!

You need to take a serious lesson from Bruce. You didn't issue one death wish, one financial collapse wish, or even a wish for failing health!

Against the grain... my ass.

I know...I need to be more of an a-hole. I am working on it though!!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Barry Sloate

I might be more tolerant of Bruce's right wing views if he could at least spell Kalamazoo Bats correctly. I mean, if you own one, you have to spell it right.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:58 AM
R@y H0lmes

Bruce's post had nothing to do with vintage cards, and any defense of him is flat-out weak. He is basically the playground bully that no-one has the guts to get rid of. I don't know for sure, but I think it possible that KO is a member of this board...non-participating, but at least signed up. So wouldn't Bruce's original post be considered an unprovoked attack on another board member? And even if KO isn't a member, the post was merely an excuse to spew the same crap he is always spewing. Doesn't take a genius (or maybe is does) to see it.

Really. Weak.

Ray Holmes
Old 11-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Barry, glad to see you've clilmbed out from under your bed! See, the world is still standing after Tuesday! And just think -- all that money I'm saving from the fact that my taxes won't be going up now I'm going to spend on cards. And maybe a third car. God is good.

I don't agree with many of the things that Keith says but I respect the guy. He's a strong force for his views and I think he was treated ridiculously by MSNBC. For that place to suspend him is just a joke. Since when has Keith ever pretended to be unbiased? Since when has MSNBC ever pretended to be unbiased? Suspending him was just a pretext for something else, no doubt.

And how can anyone dislike the guy considering his love for vintage cards and for all that he has done for the hobby? He's never ripped anyone off and he's passionate about the hobby that we love pretty much the most in the world. I hope he kicks MSNBC's ass and gets a bigger contract someplace else (CNN?). And I have no doubt he will because as anyone who follows his career knows, the dude lands on his feet.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default your opinion

Quote:
Bruce's post had nothing to do with vintage cards, and any defense of him is flat-out weak. He is basically the playground bully that no-one has the guts to get rid of. I don't know for sure, but I think it possible that KO is a member of this board...non-participating, but at least signed up. So wouldn't Bruce's original post be considered an unprovoked attack on another board member? And even if KO isn't a member, the post was merely an excuse to spew the same crap he is always spewing. Doesn't take a genius (or maybe is does) to see it.

Really. Weak.

Ray Holmes
That is your opinion Ray. And I absolutely, completely disagree with it, but I will defend your right to say it. It's not about "standing up" to Bruce. He's been suspended before when it was warranted. It's about letting folks say what they want to. Like I say, you can have your opinion too, even though I think it's idiotic and retarded. KO is a member of the board. I didn't see a personal attack on him...maybe you did? I guess you are a self proclaimed genius? It's great to know another one besides myself .
Old 11-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Barry Sloate

Jeff- my Giants won on Monday, my other team got walloped Tuesday, I'm batting .500 for the week.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Barry Sloate

If Comcast does merge with MSNBC it's likely Keith and Rachel are gone anyway. Their respective shows were immensely popular in 2008 leading up to Obama's election; today they are less relevant and are losing a big segment of their audiences. So changes are likely to be made soon.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Dan Bretta

I'm not sure I've ever run across anyone on the internet who is less secure in themselves than Bruce. I hate to go all Bill Frist on him and diagnose him from afar, but he's got problems. He may pretend to be a nice guy in person, but that's only because he wants you to die so he can have your cards. Bruce can have all the money (and cards) in the world, but obviously that is not making him happy. His ENTIRE self worth lies in his collection and he lets us know that with every single post he makes.

And as far as I'm concerned this thread is an attack on a fellow forum member because Bruce would like to see him lose his collection. Perhaps Keith is only a lurker...I've seen him post a few times, but if any member here started a thread in which they'd like to see a fellow member lose their collection (And having a different political view is not provocation) they should be suspended or banned.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default while I understand your points Dan....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I'm not sure I've ever run across anyone on the internet who is less secure in themselves than Bruce. I hate to go all Bill Frist on him and diagnose him from afar, but he's got problems. He may pretend to be a nice guy in person, but that's only because he wants you to die so he can have your cards. Bruce can have all the money (and cards) in the world, but obviously that is not making him happy. His ENTIRE self worth lies in his collection and he lets us know that with every single post he makes.

And as far as I'm concerned this thread is an attack on a fellow forum member because Bruce would like to see him lose his collection. Perhaps Keith is only a lurker...I've seen him post a few times, but if any member here started a thread in which they'd like to see a fellow member lose their collection (And having a different political view is not provocation) they should be suspended or banned.
I have re-read this thread several times and given it some thought. While I understand your points Dan, I feel Keith (hi Keith if you are reading) is in the public eye and, as such, there will be people for and against him, and that is part of his celebrity. While I have no idea, and no care about Keith's finances, except I always hope everyone does well, part of his worth (and pay) is certainly based on his "celebrity". This stuff just comes with the territory. I didn't see Bruce wishing him any physical harm or being way too vulgar. I think we should all be civil on the board and Bruce is acting like jerk towards Keith, but I truly don't think he would try to physically harm him or anyone, in any way, except for defending himself. Maybe I am wrong but I don't think so. Bruce was only expressing his opinion about a public figure and posted a current news story.
And just like everyone else on the board, I defend your right to your opinion too. For the record, I think Keith O is a heck of a nice guy and a great collector. Our views on politics are different though. Now I will run to cover... best regards

Last edited by Leon; 11-06-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Jim VB

Quote:

Agree 100%!

And for the record, Keith is an entertainer, not a journalist. I know the line gets muddy sometimes, but Rush, Glenn Beck (with 2 "n's, Jeff), O'Reilly, and Rachel Madow are all there to entertain people. They exist for ratings, not news. Hating him for what he says just shows a lack of understanding with how the world works. That's exactly what I have come to expect from Bruce.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Barry Sloate

I agree with you Jim. All those you cited are there to entertain their audience and garner the highest possible ratings. They combine the news of the day with whatever angle their fans want hear. It's based on the news...but it's not really news.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have re-read this thread several times and given it some thought. While I understand your points Dan, I feel Keith (hi Keith if you are reading) is in the public eye and, as such, there will be people for and against him, and that is part if his celebrity. While I have no idea, and no care about Keith's finances, except I always hope everyone does well, part of his worth (and pay) is certainly baseed on his "celebrity". This stuff just comes with the territory. I didn't see Bruce wishing him any physical harm or being way too vulgar. I think we should all be civil on the board and Bruce is acting like jerk towards Keith, but I truly don't think he would try to physically harm him or anyone, in any way, except for defending himself. Maybe I am wrong but I don't think so. Bruce was only expressing his opinion about a public figure and posted a current news story.
And just like everyone else on the board, I defend your right to your opinion too. For the record, I think Keith O is a heck of a nice guy and a great collector. Our views on politics are different though. Now I will run to cover... best regards
I completely disagree...He may be a celebrity, but since he has spent time in here, done many deals with lots of people here and most certainly lurks here then he should be afforded the same protections that ALL members should have.

Jeffrey Lichtman is somewhat of a celebrity, he is often in the news, and is frequently on WABC radio...if someone were to start a thread hoping he loses his collection because of something completely unrelated to the hobby I would think that was out of bounds.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I completely disagree...He may be a celebrity, but since he has spent time in here, done many deals with lots of people here and most certainly lurks here then he should be afforded the same protections that ALL members should have.

Jeffrey Lichtman is somewhat of a celebrity, he is often in the news, and is frequently on WABC radio...if someone were to start a thread hoping he loses his collection because of something completely unrelated to the hobby I would think that was out of bounds.
LOL Dan, that would be the nicest thing anyone said about me today!

And PS--Keith is not being paid for a few days -- rest assured the last thing he's worried about is his finances right now.

Last edited by calvindog; 11-06-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
I hope Bruce,s health is fine and you won,t find a better collector than Bruce.
Yes, yes, YES you can.

Last edited by Rob D.; 11-07-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Jim D

Im just gonna shake my head in dis-belief and move on to the next thread!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Does anyone know What Rush collects?
Vicodin.

(sorry - low hanging fruit and this thread has already ...uhhh... been tarnished)
Old 11-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default punishment

I am soliciting private opinions on this situation since I seem to be in a very minor subset on my thoughts on this subject. I have emailed a few of my member/friends privately, already, to get their feedback but am interested in anyone that wants to let me know your feelings on banishment or suspension, pertaining to Bruce starting this thread. I still don't see the severity rising to that level but I have been wrong before. Please email to leonl@flash.net if you would like to give your opinion. I just think this will be a more stale place if we start censoring very much....but what do I know? If we don't let folks hang themselves how will we know what they think?

Thanks to anyone that wants to give your opinion to me...I appreciate the help and insight. best regards