NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-25-2015, 09:18 PM
Chris

Last edited by FenwayFaithful; 05-18-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:29 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayFaithful View Post
That was NEVER proven to be true. A huge misconception by people out there.
Fine with me, I'll take your word for it. I didn't follow it really closely at the time, which is precisely the issue I take with irresponsible reporting. Most people don't follow closely, so once something blows up like this, it's irreversible in the court of public opinion. This is beyond wrong. I wish there was a way to hold these reporters and networks more accountable.

I think reputable news agencies are probably generally better at fact checking, etc, but ESPN, and maybe some other networks I won't mention for fear of a firestorm, seem intent only on breaking stories first, then inflating importance of their stories ("the Decision", "---- gate", etc) and in turn increasing web hits, ratings.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:30 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Edit: I'll add that if you want to call the Patriots cheaters, fine. They did violate the rules once. Just be consistent and label every team that has ever violated rules cheaters too. That's all I ask. Teams have done far worse things than film something that's out in the wide open for anyone in the stadium to see.
You're preaching to the choir. I outed my own team (Niners) in my post.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
So often? Please tell me what you're referring to besides the Spygate issue.
You conveniently skipped the main point of my response, which is that nobody "hates' the Patriots - No one outside of Boston gives a shlt about them any more than any other team. We are discussing a current 'issue' - that's all. You are making it out as if discussing and giving opinions is not allowed until after the investigation. You're forgetting that you are participating in a DISCUSSION FORUM.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:30 PM
Mike C@.v3

We should start a "sour grapes" thread and let everyone that has true hatred (looking at you Phil) for a team or individual player(s), rip them through and through. Maybe it would make them feel better? Maybe their hatred would expire? Doubtful, but at least their partial thoughts could be outed in a thread that would welcome it.

Well, I think it was David that was looking for the "Patriot apologists" and it seems he got more than that
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 01-25-2015, 10:59 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Mike, I agree that there do seem to be a lot of sour grapes toward these guys, and I think "haters" has been aptly used here. I don't have much invested in this here.. but think a lot of people (well beyond this board) want to see them fail by any/all means, and they smell blood in the water in right now.

Scott, would be nice if this were totally objective, though I don't think it's necessary for something as trivial as sports discussion, and I don't think it has been here. The vehement (not yours) reads loud and clear to me, and I think plenty of people outside Boston feel some passion toward the Pats (mostly bad). This is similar to what people felt about the Yanks, the Bulls, the Lakers, the Niners, etc.. and if your Hawks win another, will be more commonly felt toward them. Seems pretty natural in sports.

Last edited by itjclarke; 01-25-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:02 PM
Chris

Last edited by FenwayFaithful; 05-18-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
So often? Please tell me what you're referring to besides the Spygate issue.

They were filming something out in the wide open for anyone to see. Every person in the stadium could see those signals being given by the coach. The severe penalty wasn't because of the infraction itself. It was because they continued to do it after a memo went out to all teams by the league in 2006 telling them to stop filming coaches' signals. They were wrong for that and were punished accordingly. They won those SBs because they had dominant defenses, a HOF coach, and a HOF QB. You can't get a competitive advantage when other teams are doing what you're doing but just in a slightly less convenient way (have a scout in the stands or press box taking notes with pen and paper of the coaches' signals, which once again, are available to anyone in the stadium). There's a reason why the league passed a rule that allowed defensive players to have audio communication with their coaches via their helmets. Stealing signals was part of the game (and probably still is to a degree to this day), as has been acknowledged by many NFL coaches (see below for a couple examples).

Funny how you mention teams that were successful and "None of those teams received the negative reaction of the Pats. It's the cheating, not the winning." Let's see here:

70's Steelers - Rampant steroid use

Broncos - Circumventing the salary cap during the late Elway years when they won 2 SBs; taping part of a 49ers walk-through practice in London in 2010

Late 90's 49ers - Circumventing the salary cap

90's Cowboys - Jimmy Johnson has admitted that videotaping coaches' signals was common practice and something he did although he felt it didn't help him at all.

2006 Colts - pumping artificial crowd noise into the stadium when the Patriots were on offense during the 2006 AFC Championship game

Steelers - Cowher: “Stealing someone’s signals was a part of the game and everybody attempted to do that. We had people that always tried to steal signals,” said Cowher, whose 2004 team won 16 consecutive games before losing to the Patriots in the AFC title game. “What happened when we lost that game is they outplayed us. It had nothing to do with stealing signals or cheating or anything else.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...act-of-spygate

I could list many more things, but I think that'll do.

Oh, and then there's this re: "DeflateGate" from Mike Florio today:

"But what has the NFL really found? As one league source has explained it to PFT, the football intercepted by Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson was roughly two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum. The other 10 balls that reportedly were two pounds under may have been, as the source explained it, closer to one pound below 12.5 PSI."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-deflategate/

So looks like Chris Mortensen's report may be wrong, just like the report about Jackson being one who noticed the ball was deflated. Sports journalism in this country is at an all-time low. If they were indeed closer to 1 PSI below the 12.5 minimum requirement, Belichick's explanation he gave yesterday is certainly plausible. If it's proven they intentionally deflated the footballs, then they should be punished accordingly.

But hey, great job jumping to conclusions before having all of the facts by all of the ignorant people here. Bravo.
This is exactly what I'm talking about, delusional Patriots fan. You really don't understand the difference between watching signs and being able to film them, having a permanent record which you can used to figure out all their defenses? You can claim that it was dominant defense, but when you know what the other team is doing it is a huge advantage, it is cheating and is a major reason why the Pats won those 3 SBs. Fact, the Pats are the only SB champion to be sanctioned for cheating. You can try to justify it all you want, but the Pats are cheaters. They were cheating 2001-07 and they are still cheating today.

You complain about us discussing what the nfl has leaked. We can still discuss this and change our opinion if new info comes out. However, your mind is already closed. No matter what the nfl decides, you are going to try to argue away the fact that the Pats are cheaters. 7 years later you are still trying to argue away Spygate
Old 01-26-2015, 09:27 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The sauna theory is 'solid logic'?

If the balls were in the sauna only for a short amount of time (just the time it would have taken to inflate them), then that's not long enough for the hot temperature to really effect the PSI. If they were in the sauna for an extended amount of time, they would be wet from the steam and the refs would have questioned a wet football (a wet football doesn't dry out quickly).

You Cheatriots fans are really grasping for straws at this point. I don't blame you though. I'm sure it's a hard fact to swallow that the team you grew up loving to root for has to cheat to get a competitive advantage.
No, not enough time to affect the ball, but the air that gets added would be hot. And cooling would put them around 2 psi lower.

I didn't say I knew that was done, just that an actual scientist had suggested it and it seemed for sure like a loophole the Pats would use if they thought it would give them an edge.

I do think that while the rule would technically allow it, by the spirit of the rule it's quite shady. And I also think there will be fines, maybe a draft pick loss no matter what the NFL finds.

The NFL is one of the oddest businesses I've seen.
Grab your stuff on field? That's a $20K fine.
Sell a framed photo collection prominently including the same crotch grab? Totally ok !

Harass your own teammate so he leaves the team and nearly quits altogether? And have management know all about it? One guy gets suspended for the rest of the year. Nothing for the others or for management.

Film from the wrong spot? That's a half million and a draft pick.

Simply bizarre.

Steve B
Old 01-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Chris

Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Interesting article. I hope it's OK for me to post a link. Sorry if it's not OK to do.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...f_fumbles.html
Old 01-26-2015, 10:06 AM
Belltown Vintage

I would add 'paranoid' and 'entitled' to "delusional patriots fans."
Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I would add 'paranoid' and 'entitled' to "delusional patriots fans."
Come on, Scott...have you not read this thread lately? I'm not a Patriots fan, but the few on here have added some good info...you should read it instead of popping in and stirring the pot.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Other teams weren't simply "watching" signals. They were stealing them, too. Have a scout in the stands or press box taking notes of the coaches' signals and then later syncing them with the game tape to decipher the signals. The Patriots did it in a more convenient way. With the memo going out to ALL teams in 2006, it's very possible that other teams were doing what the Patriots were doing before 2006.

Major reason they won those SBs? Lol, yeah, they have the highest win % in the NFL since then and have been to 3 SBs. Yeah, was a huge game changer.

"Fact, the Pats are the only SB champion to be sanctioned for cheating." Once again, wrong. Broncos in the late 90s when they won 2 SBs - circumvented the salary cap. They deferred $29 million to Terrell Davis and John Elway. The Broncos were fined $968,000 and were stripped of a 3rd round pick in 2002. And then were fined $950,000 and stripped of another 3rd round draft pick in the 2005 draft.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ap-violations/

Funny how you never hear about that.
The difference is what other teams were doing was allowed by the rules. That wasn't good enough for the Pats, they had to break the rules. It gave them an unfair advantage. If it wasn't a major reason they won 3 SBs, how come they have won ZERO since then?

It wasn't like they were blowing teams out, it was 3 close wins, two on last second fgs, Since then, they are losing those close games (to the Giants). I'd say having the other team's signals was a major reason they won.

You can turn a blind eye to the Pats cheating. Just don't expect the rest of us to ignore it.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Come on, Scott...have you not read this thread lately? I'm not a Patriots fan, but the few on here have added some good info...you should read it instead of popping in and stirring the pot.
Look in the mirror and then say that again without blushing.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
The difference is what other teams were doing was allowed by the rules. That wasn't good enough for the Pats, they had to break the rules. It gave them an unfair advantage. If it wasn't a major reason they won 3 SBs, how come they have won ZERO since then?

It wasn't like they were blowing teams out, it was 3 close wins, two on last second fgs, Since then, they are losing those close games (to the Giants). I'd say having the other team's signals was a major reason they won.

You can turn a blind eye to the Pats cheating. Just don't expect the rest of us to ignore it.
Taping the practices and signals was and I believe is standard practice. That there's a rule stating where this taping can be done pretty much confirms that. Prior to the pats taping from the wrong place the Jets had someone taping from the wrong place and the Pats didn't go to the league, just asked him to leave.

Frankly, if taping practices and signals is as common as it is, and a head coach is too dumb to change those signals the team is probably going to have some problems anyway.

Hey, I get it.
The Pats used to be truly horrible in just about every way.
A coach whose main highlight was getting electrocuted during his introductory press conference.
Players harassing a female member of the press.
And generally just being a bad football team.

And as sports fans do, I looked anywhere else for the reason. The refs were against us, the rules were unfair, anything except the organization was just bad from the top down. Sure, they had some good players. Plunkett was pretty good, and was better after he left. Hmmmmm .......must be something odd going on there.....(Like the Raiders having a clue)

I'm looking forward to the superbowl, and the matchup between the most successful Pats head coach and the second most successful Pats head coach.

You mad bro?

Steve B

Last edited by steve B; 01-26-2015 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typos, probably missed some too
Old 01-26-2015, 02:21 PM
P.hil €lli$

Breaking news from Jay Glazer:

http://m.tmi.me/1eXHpm
Old 01-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
Breaking news from Jay Glazer:

http://m.tmi.me/1eXHpm
This is what I thought would happen from the beginning. Some no name, low level employee would get blamed and fired for this. The Patriots (Tom Brady) will of course claim that they never ever ever ever ever ever told him to reduce the air pressure in the balls, he just did it on his own.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 01-26-2015, 02:37 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
The Patriots (Tom Brady) will of course claim that they never ever ever ever ever ever told him to reduce the air pressure in the balls, he just did it on his own.
Of course
Old 01-26-2015, 03:23 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Maybe it's time to start a parallel Scooter Libby thread to lend some perspective.

Like Mike said, there's been some good stuff said, examples given, but seems the posse doesn't seem interested. What my Niners allegedly did by paying players under the table would be far far more severe than playing with lower pressure game balls. What any number of teams, that for whatever reason never had to face this type of scrutiny is more severe than deflated game balls.

Dean- re fumbles, I've seen reference to those stats. It's interesting, and I'd be curious to check out individual player stats to see how their fumble rates increased or decreased in NE (but trying to get work done!!). I did do a quick scan of Legarrette Blount's stats, and looked like he fumbled at a similar rate in NE as TB. I do think strong coaching emphasis on protecting the ball (look at Tiki Barber's career) and quickly benching fumble prone players can go a long way toward better offensive turnover numbers. I also consider a lot of other things as the truest factors in not fumbling-- being strong especially hand strength, protecting the ball (4 points of contact), being able to safely transfer ball hands, covering up with 2 hands when needed, wearing sticky gloves, etc. Just like some teams were ahead of the curve teaching stripping techniques (relatively recently, especially in secondary), I'd guess the Pats position coaches may be very good at teaching ball security techniques. Just checked, they did not lead the league in fewest fumbles this year, and were tied with 3 other teams for 2nd.

I vow I am not a Pats fan (and not blushing) and I was very happy when the Niners beat them in NE on MNF last season. This whole debacle has definitely given me a stronger rooting interest in the SB though.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
This is what I thought would happen from the beginning. Some no name, low level employee would get blamed and fired for this. The Patriots (Tom Brady) will of course claim that they never ever ever ever ever ever told him to reduce the air pressure in the balls, he just did it on his own.
Agreed. I once took the fall for a multi-million dollar deal that failed, even though I had nothing to do with it - but I was a paramecium and even the people on the other side of the deal understood what was happening. I even had management explain the situation to me beforehand, and we all agreed (me included) that it was best that we put my name on it as opposed to blaming the guilty and losing the deal.

I got a raise and a promotion for doing so. This is all part of business 101. The equipment manager will get a lobster dinner and a huge pile of cash. The Pats are grateful, but the behavior on all sides was expected. Even the NFL will be happy with such an outcome - it was the only way this could end, so I don't doubt it in the least.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:44 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Look in the mirror and then say that again without blushing.

Scott...I'm a man, I don't blush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

I echo Ian in that this has been a great discussion, with only minor flaming

I hope it all is swept under the rug prior to Superbowl Sunday, then the Patriots and the NFL can bring in 'The Wolf' after a week or so.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:46 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Scott...I'm a man, I don't blush

Mike - I am proud of you that you are keeping tabs on this via your cell phone. It means you have a life. Me, on the other hand...
Old 01-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Mike - I am proud of you that you are keeping tabs on this via your cell phone. It means you have a life. Me, on the other hand...

Lol...damnit, Scott. You're trying your hardest to get to me, but it will not work!!!

Old 01-26-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Taping the practices and signals was and I believe is standard practice. That there's a rule stating where this taping can be done pretty much confirms that. Prior to the pats taping from the wrong place the Jets had someone taping from the wrong place and the Pats didn't go to the league, just asked him to leave.

Frankly, if taping practices and signals is as common as it is, and a head coach is too dumb to change those signals the team is probably going to have some problems anyway.

Hey, I get it.
The Pats used to be truly horrible in just about every way.
A coach whose main highlight was getting electrocuted during his introductory press conference.
Players harassing a female member of the press.
And generally just being a bad football team.

And as sports fans do, I looked anywhere else for the reason. The refs were against us, the rules were unfair, anything except the organization was just bad from the top down. Sure, they had some good players. Plunkett was pretty good, and was better after he left. Hmmmmm .......must be something odd going on there.....(Like the Raiders having a clue)

I'm looking forward to the superbowl, and the matchup between the most successful Pats head coach and the second most successful Pats head coach.

You mad bro?

Steve B
This makes no sense. The only one mad is Tom Brady for losing to the Seahawks and then running away like a little girl instead of shaking Richard Sherman's hand.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:39 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
This makes no sense. The only one mad is Tom Brady for losing to the Seahawks and then running away like a little girl instead of shaking Richard Sherman's hand.
I guarantee, nothing would make a player look like a bigger chump than would accepting Richard Sherman's mock conciliatory hand shakes. Ask Michael Crabtree last year. I think in both cases those guys did well to just walk away, rather than to let it escalate which is all Sherman wants. I give it up to Sherman though, he's an amazing talent and a champion talker and head shrinker. He's to the NFL what Gary Payton was to basketball.

I expect to see LeGarrette Blount and some pulling guard running his way quite a bit on Sunday. Also, so much of what NE does passing, they do from the inside out (backs, TEs and the slots), so will be interesting to see how much a factor Sherman will be. The one I can't wait to see is Kam Chanceller vs Gronk, one of Sunday's more compelling potential matchups.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:42 PM
Chris

Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...into-bathroom/

So the ballboy carried 2 large bags into a one stall bathroom, emptied the Patriots' bag of footballs, deflated 12 footballs by 1-2 PSI, put the footballs back into the bag, and exited the bathroom in roughly 90 seconds? Let's remember that the ballboy was not aware of any future investigation and wouldn't have been in any rush to do all of this. It's much more likely the kid was taking a piss, which is, you know, the purpose of a bathroom. This story has become an absolute joke.
I was telling a buddy he took a piss then either washed his hands, or "stink palmed" the Colts' game balls... if you've seen Mallrats, you know what I'm talking about.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:53 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Love the use of the term, "person of interest" btw, like this is some super high level investigation into terrorism or espionage. "Perp" would have been great too.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
I guarantee, nothing would make a player look like a bigger chump than would accepting Richard Sherman's mock conciliatory hand shakes. Ask Michael Crabtree last year. I think in both cases those guys did well to just walk away, rather than to let it escalate which is all Sherman wants. I give it up to Sherman though, he's an amazing talent and a champion talker and head shrinker. He's to the NFL what Gary Payton was to basketball.

I expect to see LeGarrette Blount and some pulling guard running his way quite a bit on Sunday. Also, so much of what NE does passing, they do from the inside out (backs, TEs and the slots), so will be interesting to see how much a factor Sherman will be. The one I can't wait to see is Kam Chanceller vs Gronk, one of Sunday's more compelling potential matchups.
Brady started it by talking trash to Sherman. When you start something and the other guy beats you, be a man and admit you are wrong. You don't run away like a little girl. That is pathetic. I understand why Pats fans don't have a problem with that, they are still in denial about Spygate.

Crabtree didn't talk trash to Sherman before that game. It was Sherman who initiated it. In that situation you just walk away. Those two situations aren't remotely comparable.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 AM
Peter

Default Unfair Competitive Advantage

I don't go too crazy over sports analytics, but I thought this was pretty damning. If you don't really think that deflated balls (no laughing please) gives you much of an advantage, you should check this out. It's not all about Brady either.

Apologies if this was already posted in the thread or you don't like to read graphs.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com...-proof-in-2007
Old 01-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Belltown Vintage

Sherman never stops talking - his soundbytes aired the other night and was hilarious. He comes after guys unprovoked. Brady new that but still mouthed off. That's fine, but with Sherman you better back it up or be prepared to quietly take the backlash, which is what Brady wisely did.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Steve Birmingham

At least people recognized the quote...........

Superbowl Sunday I might just have to have a beer from the "fire freddy" Mug I bought years ago. (Lets see who gets that one)

Steve B
Old 01-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Belltown Vintage

My favorite 'Sherman mouthing off' moment is when he mouthed off to gigantic Trent Williams and was then punched in the face. Sherman barely moved and started laughing. I'm thinking if Brady punched him it would have turned out differently.

Found it: Williams punches Richard Sherman

My understanding is that he didn't actually say "You mad bro?" Someone tweeted the infamous pic of him and Brady, along with that quote, and Sherman then adapted it.

Last edited by Runscott; 01-27-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:58 PM
Chris

Last edited by FenwayFaithful; 05-18-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Richard Simon

Now they are saying an equipment guy vanished into a rest room with the game footballs. Right, the Pats found someone to fall on the sword.
And if you believe an equipment guy would deflate footballs without orders from the coach, then I have a deed to the Bunker Hill Monument to sell to you.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-27-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Brock

Quote:
It just keeps getting worse and worse for the anti-Patriots crowd.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...534771d1e3d792
I really love the hypocritical Pat fans. Please explain how the colts balls and Patriots backp balls were fine? Pat fans can never admit when they get caught cheating, they just make excuses after excuses. Yet if another team gets caught cheating, pat fans will be the first to boo and scream cheater at them. I'm sure you guys think Aaron Hernandez is innocent and probably want him back.

The cheaters will be punished after the super bowl with a fine and a draft pick taking away. Hopefully the Pats don't win because than the Super Bowl is tainted and it just shows kids that cheating is fine and you can make excuses to get away with it.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:

Questioning the Patriots' possible rules violation does not make one an "anti-Patriot", any more than you disagreeing with my comments makes you an "anti-runscott".
Old 01-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Richard Simon

Too bad that such a great and historic city, one of the best cities in America, has this bunch of cheaters representing them.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-27-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
I really love the hypocritical Pat fans. Please explain how the colts balls and Patriots backp balls were fine? Pat fans can never admit when they get caught cheating, they just make excuses after excuses. Yet if another team gets caught cheating, pat fans will be the first to boo and scream cheater at them. I'm sure you guys think Aaron Hernandez is innocent and probably want him back.

The cheaters will be punished after the super bowl with a fine and a draft pick taking away. Hopefully the Pats don't win because than the Super Bowl is tainted and it just shows kids that cheating is fine and you can make excuses to get away with it.

Take that, patriot fans!!

Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Marty

As someone else alluded to, I think Belichick already explained how the Patriots skirt (and probably have skirted) the rule for many years, maybe as far back as when they were first allowed to break in their own footballs in 2007. They found a way to artificially increase the PSI by a pound or so (their mysterious "rubbing" process), do this immediately before they are tested, and then just let them settle in at 11.5 or so, with a nice soft ball to throw, catch, and hang on to. Love them or hate them, the Patriots don't miss a trick, and they can say that they followed the letter of the law (if not the spirit) - their balls measured out at 12.5 PSI when they were examined before the game.

The prep accounts for 1 PSI less, the weather for the other. Net result will probably be the NFL taking away the team's ability to break in the ball, or teams submitting the balls two or three hours before testing to prevent this.

Cheating? Not really. Fair play? Not really, either.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:16 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:

The article fails to mention how the Colts balls didn't lose pressure. What's your theory on that?
Old 01-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The article fails to mention how the Colts balls didn't lose pressure. What's your theory on that?
Yeah so bizarre that only the Patriots footballs lost pressure. And when they were refilled at halftime, they didn't lose pressure the rest of the game.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 01-27-2015, 06:49 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Yeah so bizarre that only the Patriots footballs lost pressure. And when they were refilled at halftime, they didn't lose pressure the rest of the game.
My theory is that it was 20-30 degrees colder on the Pats side of the field than it was on the Colts side of the field.

Hey, that's no more ridiculous than some of these other loony theories.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:51 PM
Jeff

Based on the fact that they scored nearly twice as many points in the second half with the right balls I would say they may have handicapped themselves to start with.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Chris

Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Do we know at what PSI the Colts' footballs started at? Do we know at what PSI the Colts' footballs ended at? Do we know how the Colts prepare their footballs?
No. To help feed your paranoia, since "we" all hate the Patriots for some reason known only to Patriot fans, we don't know anything about any other NFL team's footballs, because the Patriots are the only ones being picked on. It's a conspiracy where all other NFL team's questionable actions are ignored or coverd over (conspiracy). Remember - everyone hates the Patriots.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
No. To help feed your paranoia, since "we" all hate the Patriots for some reason known only to Patriot fans, we don't know anything about any other NFL team's footballs, because the Patriots are the only ones being picked on. It's a conspiracy where all other NFL team's questionable actions are ignored or coverd over (conspiracy). Remember - everyone hates the Patriots.

Quit being a hater, Scott I liked you a lot more when you were just filled with hate!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 PM
Chris