NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-21-2007, 03:40 AM
Administrator

Default Post Your Nicest Figural Pieces!

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Does anyone want to post pics of their rarest or most coveted figurals? This can include Statues, Trophies, Banks, Bookends, etc.

I'll start out with one of my favorites. Has anyone ever seen this one before? This '30s/'40s Tiger Statue is almost too cool for words. Amazing detail and colors, and he stands over a foot and a half tall. He is even wearing Greenberg's #5 on his sweater!!

Old 10-21-2007, 03:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

I've never seen that piece before Mark. It may be one of a kind. Here are a couple of my favorites.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-21-2007, 03:49 AM
Administrator

A few more, just to throw some "figural" ideas out there! Would love to see some other gems... thanks!

Old 10-21-2007, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Mike: Those are all beautiful pieces, but that D & M Trophy is drop-dead gorgeous! Looks every bit as attractive as any of the "Spaldings"!

Here are a couple of Cubbie Figurals (to wet your whistle...)

Old 10-21-2007, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Love the cubbies stuff Mark. That catcher on the top shelf is fantastic! I've never seen anything like it. The face mask and the workman glove and the color are perfect late 1800s. Where in the world did you find it? Here is another I posted recently.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Incredible stuff Mark.

Where are you from?

Old 10-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Here's a few of mine. The Tiger one came from Ralph Winegarner's estate. The baseball player head comes from a bigger carnival statue. I'd really like to have a complete one if anyone know where one is.

Clint

Old 10-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Clint,

Do you know whether the Indians piece was produced for the big-league team or a minor-league affiliate? Very nice.

Rob

Old 10-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Rob, I guess lucky for both of us it was produced for Wichita and not Cleveland. You won't have to try and find one now. This is the only one I've ever seen. It has a Wichita Indians decal on it. Thanks for the compliment.

Clint

Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Clint,

I thought I remembered that from a previous post and was really hoping it was minor-league related. Although I do have some Cleveland Indians minor-league stuff in my collection, your great piece won't keep me up at night like it would had it been issued for the big club.

By the way and off topic, I was going through some boxes last night and came across a stash of 1989 Wichita Wranglers team sets issued by Rock's Dugout. Made me smile.

Rob

Old 10-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Rob, Mr. Ruocco had a heart attack about 2 weeks ago. Luckily he made it to the hospital and no damage occured. I wouldn't have half the collection or knowledge if it wasn't for him.

Clint

Old 10-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Clint,

Thanks for passing along that news. If you could e-mail me a mailing address for him, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks, Rob

Old 10-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

British Columbia Electric Railway Trophy, 1911.

Max

Old 10-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Great pieces, Clint! I just love the Tiger and the Indian... there is also a Pirate just like these. I still regret selling it about 5 years ago. It was much rarer than I thought.

Greg... I am in Seattle, but moved recently from SD. Haven't encountered many fellow collectors here in the NW... so I am glad I found this site

The colorful Catcher is a Shafer-Vater piece from the turn of the Century. I can't believe how lucky I was (got it for $200 off Ebay Buy It Now, and in NRMT condition!) Amazing detail, when you see it live. I have never seen another since, let alone in this condition.

Here are a few more figurals...

The left piece is a rare "Turn of the Century" Pairpoint Termometer. The middle piece is actually a 1930s Cigarette Holder disguised as a Trophy. The Batter Trophy on the right has been a favorite of mine for quite a while...

Old 10-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Mark

There are a number of vintage collectors in the Pacific NW, and probably more on the card side. I'm just up the road (2 hours 10 minutes with no border wait) in Vancouver, B.C.

Max

Old 10-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Believe it or not I just beat out veangregg (Seattle collector) on an ebay item last night. I think that might be a first for me.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Thanks Mark, I'm glad you found the site. I've never seen the Pirate before but have seen another Tiger on ebay a few years back. Wow, you have some nice trophys and figurines. I love that cub on the bat iron figure.

Mike great trophys also. I hope someone on the board ends up with one of those Spalding trophys. Good luck guys.

Clint

Old 10-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Love that Goldsmith Trophy, Max. Those figural baseballs on the sides are just terrific. Can you imagine that pride of workmanship existing today?

Old 10-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

I am not sure if these are figurals or not, but here are 2 of my Gibbs Connor NFL banks.
I just posted the Eagles on in the October pickup area, and it is definetly the favorite piece in my figurine collection

Old 10-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Keith: Those are prime examples of figural pieces. This is an under-appreciated (and under-valued) segment of the hobby. I really love both of those... especially the Eagle. It's great that those old Gibbs Conner Prototypes have miraculously made it into the hobby.

Here is one of my personal G - C favorites. Note how the Brownie is stepping on the Lion's head (the Lion has X's for eyes...) The Browns beat the Lions for the NFL Championship in '54...

Old 10-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Those are fabulous pieces Mark. I hadn't seen that Browns one before. You're right, the Brownie stomping the Lions head is classic.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

I have no idea who made these or how long ago...they are carved out of wood and stand about 18" tall.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Although the only "figural" aspect of this trophy is the cup itself, I still like it. It was presented to Elmer Flick by the Bedford Golf Club in 1914 and is inscribed:

27 G.C.
EXPERT TROPHY
Jan-June 1914
B*G*C
Cup
Won by
Elmer Flick

Stands about 6.5 inches tall. Picked it up at the National. (Sorry for the poor image)

Old 10-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Dan: Those are awesome! What do you think is the time-frame.... 1930s? Really unique!

Rob: Gorgeous trophy!! Lots of historical signaficance as well... what a great pickup. Now I wish that I went to the National. Thanks for posting these!

Old 10-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

dan are the 2 wood statues from japan?

Old 10-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Hey guys, I have no idea when they were made, and there are no markings on them anywhere.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Administrator

In the bookcases and cabinets

The last one was a gift from Dick Fitzgerald, former pitcher for the Mounties, and still hurling the over-40 league in the Seattle area. I think he was especially glad it could find a new home

Max

Old 10-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Administrator

I sold this one a while back...made by Plasto. I have also seen an umpire made by Plasto.