NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Default Potentially Dumb T215 Pirate Question

Posted By: James Feagin

Why are Pirate baseball cards (and non sports for that matter) widely regarded as T215? I checked out the ACC today and that designation is exclusively for Red Cross. They seem to be identical in checklist to the T213-T215 in checklist. Shouldn't Pirates be more appropriately designated as T-UNC?

James

Old 11-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

James,
Not a dumb question at all. I have researched it and asked it also. Burdick nor Sugar (Sports Collectors Bible) listed it at all, let alone as T215. I don't know where the designation came from and last time I asked about it on the board all I got was crickets chirping . I look forward to an answer but am not optimistic....regards (Stirling used a whole different numbering system)

Old 11-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think it's a question without a definitive answer. Maybe they simply made a mistake.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I got an email this evening from a hobby veteran, who would prefer to stay anonymous, which stated the designation came from Edward Wharton-Tigar. regards

Old 11-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Is it because they have the same checklists - or close to the same checklists? I don't know the answer to that, but it may have been part of the reasoning.
JimB

Old 11-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koochin

I was told (many years ago now) the designation came from Sir Edgar Wharton-Tigar.

I'm not in favor of the 'modern revision' of looking at the back for five seconds,
it's Wills, so its not American, and therefore doesn't belong as a T215.

The checklists are identical, the pictured subjects are identical. There is no
reason for Wills to issue a baseball card set whatsoever, nevermind one of the
most obscure New Orleans issues. The idea of the inclusion of baseball cards,
in Pirate brand tobacco (for issue to US servicemen overseas) came from P. Lorillard
New Jersey.

perhaps those on the board more familiar with lithography, could comment on whether
the fronts were printed in New Jersey (possibly the backs later), or if UK lithograph
presses could produce identical cards with all the same exact colors, paper stock/size.
Seems time consuming to me to gather all the pictures, proofs, printing plates, ship them
over from the US, set up a new press in the UK , and start all over again - when you could
just ship the cards over.