NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-24-2019, 03:43 AM
Mike

Default USPS Insurance

Hi Everyone...

I have sent out thousands of packages over the years. I have sent some insured. However, I never gave it much thought. Now, I am preparing to consign a few cards that would have a $5000 replacement value. If I insure them and the worst happens, will the insurance actually pay out? Would I have to "prove" that the contents of the package are worth $5K ? or jump through any other hoops? Or is it a simple process?

Has anyone here actually collected on the USPS's insurance?
Old 03-24-2019, 05:56 AM

Send them Registered and you won't have to worry about them getting there. You can add the insurance and yes they will pay(I have had two claims in 25, years and both were promptly paid).

That being said, the place you are sending them may well have(should have!) private insurance that will cover the material while in transit to them at no additional cost to you. You would just have to send them as required for the value stated, which on my policy is Registered or Overnight, each with a signature required.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:03 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Hi Everyone...

I have sent out thousands of packages over the years. I have sent some insured. However, I never gave it much thought. Now, I am preparing to consign a few cards that would have a $5000 replacement value. If I insure them and the worst happens, will the insurance actually pay out? Would I have to "prove" that the contents of the package are worth $5K ? or jump through any other hoops? Or is it a simple process?

You have to prove the worth, printout of Ebay sale or credit card receipt, a letter from an expert might be enough as well. I filed one claim and they made me jump through hoops and it took 6 months to get reimbursed.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:01 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I sent over 100 pieces of antique china from a small town in northern WI to CA.

When I asked about a potential insurance claim, I was told that an appraisal of value would be necessary. I couldn’t find any recent sales. An eight hour drive would have been required to get an appraisal. After considering the cost of the drive, the cost of the appraisal and the cost of the insurance, this is what I did.

I split the shipment into three parcels. I put enough padding between each individually wrapped piece of china to protect every quarterback in the history of the NFL from injury for life. I sent the large boxes one at a time. Number two wasn’t sent until number 1 arrived safely.

I sent each package parcel post without postal insurance. All arrived safely and there was no breakage. I have heard multiple tales of difficulty in collecting on USPS Insurance claims. It’s hard for me to understand why the post office runs an annual deficit with their insurance seemingly being a cash cow.

I have only had to refund a couple of small eBay sales to fine upstanding eBay buyers who claimed no delivery or damage. Had I insured everything that I have sent using USPS in the last two decades, perhaps they wouldn’t have had a deficit.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Garth Guibord

You could also get a quote from Collectibles insurance, as it may cost about the same to cover the shipment through USPS as it does to insure your whole collection with Collectibles for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 09:44 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The auction who you are consigning to should cover it on their policy if you ask. If not, find a different auction.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Bry@n

This is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
You could also get a quote from Collectibles insurance, as it may cost about the same to cover the shipment through USPS as it does to insure your whole collection with Collectibles for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 11:56 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
The auction who you are consigning to should cover it on their policy if you ask. If not, find a different auction.
This is good advice.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It isn't too expensive to send it registered. It is probably the safest way to send something. I personally don't buy insurance. When I have something of high value I overnight the item USPS. It is a risk but when I ask the ladies at the counter, at our very busy PO, they all say they have never heard of an overnight package getting lost. That all said, registered is probably the way to go. Or do as Jay said, and ask the AH to help with it. Sort of curious what way you go so let us know, if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Hi Everyone...

Old 03-26-2019, 04:39 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It isn't too expensive to send it registered. It is probably the safest way to send something. I personally don't buy insurance. When I have something of high value I overnight the item USPS. It is a risk but when I ask the ladies at the counter, at our very busy PO, they all say they have never heard of an overnight package getting lost. That all said, registered is probably the way to go. Or do as Jay said, and ask the AH to help with it. Sort of curious what way you go so let us know, if you can.
The Overnight makes sense, you gotta figure the less time a package spends in the system, the lesser the chance it gets lost.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:43 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Registered

Registered is your safest way to ship. Over the years, as a Postmaster, I have dealt with many overnight packages that arrived late, arrived damaged, arrived without contents, or didn't arrive at all. Overall, First Class and Priority mail seems to be much more consistant than Express Mail.

For some reason, Express Mail seems to be more prone to theft while traveling through the processing plants than other classes of mail. Recently, I personally sent an Express item to Denver, and the package was opened in the Denver Express Mail facility and $600 in cash was stolen. Also, a month ago I sent an Express item to a small city that is around 110 miles from my home. The item was guaranteed overnight but it took 4 days to be delivered, and that was only after I called the Post Office and raised hell.

Registered is handed off from person to person, with each person signing for the registered item. The drawback is that because of the safer handling procedures, Registered is much slower than other classes of mail.

Yes, right now I am a pissed off former Postmaster.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.