NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-25-2019, 01:13 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Condition perils of early 70's cards

I don't know why, but for some reason a few months ago when I decided to focus in more a bit on 1970 through about '73 Topps cards - I thought I would have an easier time finding affordable cards with less obvious condition issues. Boy was I wrong. Is it just me, or did QC at Topps noticeably go down after the 1960's? Sure, it is easier to find cards with sharp corners in the '72 set than with 1956, but here is a list of various and sundry other issues that I've found (mainly '72 Topps is going to be my example because they seem to be the worst...) that I wasn't necessarily expecting:

1. Horrible centering. This was no surprise, but gosh did it get worse in the '70s?
2. Centered cards, but ones with sneaky diamond cut or extreme tilt issues upon second glance. I got burned on a '72 Carew that had the latter but for some reason was still graded a PSA 8. Also I have a slightly diamond-cut '73 Schmidt - it doesn't really bother me, but it's there. I went online and looked at the PSA 5 and 6 Schmidt RC's for comparison - and more than half of them had some degree of that issue.
3. Edge dings! The borders on '72 and '73 Topps seem particularly fragile - say in comparison to another set with white borders - like '65 Topps. Even cards that are otherwise in super high grade can have an easy to miss edge ding if you aren't being careful. Older sets it seems to me that the white borders are smoother and glossed better or something. Some '72s and it's like the edges and corners are a thin coat of white-out that can easily be chipped away!
4. Print spots that hide until you've bought the card, and random stray ink (roller marks?) and other common PD issues, like fish-eyes. Unless it's really bad, TPG's seem to go pretty easy on the fish-eye type things, but still - they are noticeable.
5. Card stock in general just seems crappier - and thinner. I've noticed that in comparison to other issues, 1972 Topps cards often slide around noticeably in their PSA holders. A trait which usually quickly earns their liberation from those holders when in my collection.

On the whole I'm not complaining because this timeframe is still cheper for me in collecting than say - '62 Topps. And by my own description I'm not a "high grade" collector. But I will admit the condition issues I've continually stumbled upon in terms of what I see for the grade have been eye-opening and a bit unexpected.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-25-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:25 PM
Albert Bee

Default 70s cards

Oh, yea...those print spots..dots...whatever they are....you see a lot of that in 73 and 74 …. I guess Topps figured - " who cares...where else the kids gonna buy baseball cards " !
Old 03-25-2019, 06:33 PM
€d M!££w00D

Couldn’t agree more. I am in the process of upgrading approx. 50 cards for my 1974 set due to the “spots”. I have tried to convince myself they are no big deal, but they drive me crazy! This is a HUGE problem for the 1975 set. These print dots/spots were the sole reason I chose to build my 75 set one card at a time. It was initially more expensive, but I knew I would have to upgrade 1/3- 1/2 of the set if I bought lots or a complete set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 03-26-2019, 12:30 AM

Yeah the 72 tilt issues bug me a lot....I ended up upgrading several times on some cards as I built up my loose set. Nolan Ryan...ugh must have bought 4 or 5 until I got one I liked....

Ricky Y
Old 03-26-2019, 08:57 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyy View Post
Yeah the 72 tilt issues bug me a lot....I ended up upgrading several times on some cards as I built up my loose set. Nolan Ryan...ugh must have bought 4 or 5 until I got one I liked....

Ricky Y

I hear you there. On my ‘72 Ryan I took a decently centered card with no tilt over many other things. The one I ended up with was only an SGC 4, but to me at least looked better than many other 6 and higher cards which had the tilt problems.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-26-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:15 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Easier? Not with these designs.

1970, 1971 and 1975 have those full-bleed color borders, plus the ubiquitous Topps poor centering.

I am convinced that the stock on 1973 cards is softer than on other years. They seem to get corner wear from the breeze. Add in the full bleed black back borders and you have a tough card to find in top condition.

My theory on the 1972s is that the designs themselves on certain cards are not perfectly squared off so they tend to look diamond cut regardless. That said, the asymmetrical design T-B makes it easier to tolerate off-centered cards that way. There are some cards that are just about always found o/c L-R. Finding a nice Aaron IA card, for example, is a challenge for centering. The thinner borders than other years also make the o/c more glaring.

1974 seems to be fisheye and print mark heaven.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-26-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:29 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
My theory on the 1972s is that the designs themselves on certain cards are not perfectly squared off so they tend to look diamond cut regardless. That said, the asymmetrical design T-B makes it easier to tolerate off-centered cards that way.

The #595 Ryan is ridiculous. Since we were talking about it, I went and looked again thinking maybe I could upgrade - and 9 out of 10 of those cards on eBay right now have the tilt issue. Even some of the PSA 9’s out there for sale have it.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-26-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:25 PM
Albert Bee

Default 70s

what about this 1974 Topps Mike Philipps , take a look....its seems very hard to find in dead centered
Old 03-26-2019, 03:02 PM
je.sse @rnot

It wasn't any better in the 50s or 60s. Almost any specific card I've tried to track down is hard to find dead centered. Some were harder than others, but none were easy. Unless I just bought them from another collector who focuses on centering.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
It wasn't any better in the 50s or 60s. Almost any specific card I've tried to track down is hard to find dead centered. Some were harder than others, but none were easy. Unless I just bought them from another collector who focuses on centering.
50's cards don't seem to have the tilt / diamond cut issues en masse that Topps began to experience in the 1970's. Also the card stock was thicker and of higher quality in the 50's.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:27 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
50's cards don't seem to have the tilt / diamond cut issues en masse that Topps began to experience in the 1970's. Also the card stock was thicker and of higher quality in the 50's.
everything was good in the 50's followed by everything being dog S**t in the 70's and 80's.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well I wouldn't go that far...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-27-2019, 01:44 PM
J0hn Collin$

50's and early 60's cards were definitely thicker. I think this is why some of them hold up better at least as far as eye-appeal goes even in lower grades. And if you use those Ultra-Pro mag cases, the older cards won't slip and slide around in them the way say - a '72 Topps card will.

I think it's hard to say the '70s were total crap overall due to the cool designs - but imagine how nice they would be if they had the card stock of say - '57 Topps?
Old 03-27-2019, 02:34 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's funny if you think about it. The 'only' reason the overproduced cards from the 60's and 70's are coveted by most of us is because Topps' quality control sucked. There are 8 billion 1972 Nolan Ryan cards out there, but trying to find one centered and/or without the ubiquitous tilt is hard as hell. Can you even imagine if every single '72 Ryan Express was printed correctly...and centered perfectly? They would have all the appeal of a 1988 Topps common.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:38 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
It's funny if you think about it. The 'only' reason the overproduced cards from the 60's and 70's are coveted by most of us is because Topps' quality control sucked. There are 8 billion 1972 Nolan Ryan cards out there, but trying to find one centered and/or without the ubiquitous tilt is hard as hell. Can you even imagine if every single '72 Ryan Express was printed correctly...and centered perfectly? They would have all the appeal of a 1988 Topps common.
That card particularly has always been intriguing to me. At the height of the "Ryan Express" mania in the early 90's, my LCS had a '72 Ryan that they wanted like $150 for and I couldn't afford it. (I settled for - and cherished for a long time - a very o/c '73 Ryan that I could afford). Looking back that '72 was an ok card, but I don't think it was NM or anything. I first became aware of the card and the airbrushed hat job as a kid probably a few years earlier when Johnny Bench's "Great American Baseball Quiz" on ESPN featured it talking about the trade of Ryan for Fregosi. Was not able to score a copy until I was an adult collector, but it's weird now because I always think of it as a high-dollar card because of that - and of course it's not, really...

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-27-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
everything was good in the 50's followed by everything being dog S**t in the 70's and 80's.
From what I have heard (from people who worked there at the time) was that Topps was in severe financial distress. This led to poor (cheaper) paper and cutting corners in every conceivable way.

The flood in 72 did not help either with all of the damage.

Also lets not forget they had no competition..and a captive audience.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:03 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyvintage62 View Post
From what I have heard (from people who worked there at the time) was that Topps was in severe financial distress. This led to poor (cheaper) paper and cutting corners in every conceivable way.

The flood in 72 did not help either with all of the damage.

Also lets not forget they had no competition..and a captive audience.

That could be part of it.

I know they cut corners in some pretty cool ways, like using cardstock with the card backs printed to make boxes for Bazooka gum.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:56 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The 1977 Topps cards are on thinner stock and prone to chipping on the front. VERY tough set to collect in high grade. I am currently working on a '73 set, and it's taking time to find centered cards even more so in the high numbers.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:52 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
The 1977 Topps cards are on thinner stock and prone to chipping on the front. VERY tough set to collect in high grade. I am currently working on a '73 set, and it's taking time to find centered cards even more so in the high numbers.
'77 is my birth year, and a decade or more ago I had a NM set. Wish I had kept it.