NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Default What grade is this card?

So I just received this card in the mail on a trade. (He sent first) He didn't have a scanner and said, trust me.. The card is NM... So I get the card today.. I would grade this card a 5.5, and of course, he says that i'm crazy... So what say you? Is the card a Ex/Ex+ or is it NM? I scanned the card in the case that it came in because I didn't want to break his tape seal...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://vintagebaseballcardshop.com

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardshop; 07-02-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:49 PM

VG+ at best on a good day!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:53 PM

Oh, and he sent this one too... This one is supposedly Ex+ lol.. I told him 3.5

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 PM

Hi,

Well, to begin with, I see 4 corners with wear to them. Corner wear is always increased when a card is diamond cut and this card has the lower left border and the upper right border wider than the other 2 corresponding borders on each side.

Also, there appears to be white wear marks on the sleeves and by the light pole, and it looks like a crease from the lower left border across to Mays' hip. Finally, the picture is out of registration, best noticed on the uniform & hat lettering along with his face that clearly shows the blurred image.

I personally do not like the diamond cut cards- and 1966 Topps suffered from them a lot (I have a number of them in my set I would like to replace), so when combining the miscut with the crease and the picture registration problem I would grade the card no better than VG or VG-EX. If the card is not creased, then your assessment of EX-EX+ is probably right. This card is definitely not near mint.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
Old 07-02-2012, 09:10 PM

Nice observation Jeff! I really appreciate you taking the time to properly analyze the card... Would you believe that I was so distraught over the card, that I didn't even notice the crease on the bottom left above the W.. Nice eye! So yeah.. that makes it even worse! wow.. so yeah.. VG at best! Nice call!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:52 AM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-dog View Post
VG+ at best on a good day!
Right on I was thinking vg-ex on Mays and vg on Rose. That card would not be NM from 3 feet away.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 07-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Dave Foster

[QUOTE=vintagebaseballcardshop;1010023]So I just received this card in the mail on a trade. (He sent first) He didn't have a scanner and said, trust me.. The card is NM... So I get the card today.. I would grade this card a 5.5, and of course, he says that i'm crazy... So what say you? Is the card a Ex/Ex+ or is it NM? I scanned the card in the case that it came in because I didn't want to break his tape seal...

You need to stick w/ trading partners that have scanners!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:05 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I think it's a little stronger than VG/EX, but not quite EX. I'll say VG/EX+ (that's assuming it doesn't have any creases). Is the card NM as described? Not by a long shot!

And the Rose is a VG

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 07-04-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:32 AM

Yeah.. That's generally always the case, but this guy was pretty sure of himself of his grading, and used the ole' "I'll ship first, if you don't like it ship it back" line... I wasn't really out anything other than a great deal of disappointment, because I used some work stamps to send it back via snail mail lol

[QUOTE=pclpads;1010574]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardshop View Post
So I just received this card in the mail on a trade. (He sent first) He didn't have a scanner and said, trust me.. The card is NM... So I get the card today.. I would grade this card a 5.5, and of course, he says that i'm crazy... So what say you? Is the card a Ex/Ex+ or is it NM? I scanned the card in the case that it came in because I didn't want to break his tape seal...

You need to stick w/ trading partners that have scanners!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Cameron Crafton

I agree with everybody else. Those cards are VG at best, and the Pete Rose would even have problems getting that.

The Willie Mays has four really bad corners. Its centering actually isn't bad for the age of the card, but it still has imperfect centering. The card has a crease on the lower left side of the picture, bleow Willie's arm. The picture is fuzzy and there a ton of white marks on the card. I would grade that a PSA 4, maybe a 5 if you're lucky.

The Pete Rose also has four really bad corners, and has flayed sides. On the left side there a black mark near the center of the border and the card shows signs of fuzziness (Might be from the scan?). To put it simply that is a pretty ugly card haha, no offense. I would grade that one a PSA 3, possibly even a 2.5.

Neither card is NR-MT.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Mike

I'm not sure if you added the two numbers together you'd get a NM