NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-10-2015, 03:39 PM
je.sse @rnot

Default Trouble letting go

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I'm having trouble letting go of a few cards I told myself I would sell to fund another purchase. I have already made the purchase, and it's time to send the cards off to auction. I just don't think I'm ready to get rid of a few of them. And naturally, those are the more valuable ones.

Has anyone else faced a similar dilemma? If so, what was the final decision?

And before anyone mentions it, I do realize the obvious logical thing to do would have been not to make the purchase until the cards I currently own were sold. But I didn't feel like waiting.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:21 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I have told myself. Just keep the 51 &52 Mick and perhaps the 48 Paige. Other than that, the others could be sold if need in case of emergency or something rare comes up, but you should not count on this and never buy what you cant afford. Never put yourself in a hole. Keep in mind this is suppose to be fun collecting. Stash away a few bucks each pay check and only spend whats there. You surely dont want to double-dip and take things away from the family, like trips or nights out, otherwise you'll end up with some unhappy meals.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 08-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Matt

I've been there. Often. Often.

It's tough, but you'll feel really good about yourself for selling them; helps build character.

Besides, as DeNiro would say in HEAT:

"That's the discipline."
Old 08-10-2015, 06:58 PM

Sell it. It's better to have one big valuable card than several smaller less valuable cards.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
i have told myself. Just keep the 51 &52 mick and perhaps the 48 paige. Other than that, the others could be sold if need in case of emergency or something rare comes up, but you should not count on this and never buy what you cant afford. Never put yourself in a hole. Keep in mind this is suppose to be fun collecting. Stash away a few bucks each pay check and only spend whats there. You surely dont want to double-dip and take things away from the family, like trips or nights out, otherwise you'll end up with some unhappy meals.
lmao
Old 08-10-2015, 09:12 PM
je.sse @rnot

Thanks guys, yea Chris I wouldn't buy anything I couldn't afford. That was just how I justified it to myself before I bought it. Now that I have it I'm having second thoughts about getting rid of the cards.

And Matt I've seen a few of the cards you've sold off recently. Must be to pick something up that's way out of my league.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Dave H@rford

Default Upgrades

My problem is upgrading. I will upgrade a card, "tell" myself that I can sell the lower grade card I am replacing....that never happens; duplicates and quadruplicates.

Dave
Old 08-14-2015, 11:27 AM
je.sse @rnot

If anyone was curious the card I picked up is a 52 Mantle. I posted it in the pick up thread. I've decided to follow the original plan and sell the cards I planned to. Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Which card are you letting go? All the ones you have are awesome.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 08-14-2015, 01:01 PM
je.sse @rnot

E90-1 Cobb, Wagner, Mathewson, and 41 play ball reese and ted williams. I was considering the CJ wagner, but I think I'm going to keep that one
Old 08-14-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I'm having trouble letting go of a few cards I told myself I would sell to fund another purchase. I have already made the purchase, and it's time to send the cards off to auction. I just don't think I'm ready to get rid of a few of them. And naturally, those are the more valuable ones.

And before anyone mentions it, I do realize the obvious logical thing to do would have been not to make the purchase until the cards I currently own were sold. But I didn't feel like waiting.
Oh my yes! I'm a documentary filmmaker, and it's been my plan to sell a few of my cards to help kickstart my new film. My plan has been to sell my '52 Eddie Matthews. It's the only PSA 5 in my whole set, which is PSA 6-8, and based on recent trends, I stand to about double what I originally paid for it.

But I'm just really, really hesitant about selling it. It's the biggest card in my set, and I have this secret fear, that right when I sell it, there's going to be some major surge of interest in Mathews, and the card is going to go up even more! Silly I know, but still...
Old 08-14-2015, 01:54 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:

Jesse, you aren't alone. The fact that you even consider selling some cards to help you get others proves you aren't too far gone. . I am 42, and I know a guy who is about 10 years older than me. He recently made several thousand dollars worth of baseball card purchases. Amazed at his sudden flurry of activity, I asked a mutual friend of ours how he did it because this fella practically lives paycheck to paycheck and is an absolute hoarder. My buddy informed me that our friend cashed in a substantial chunk of a 401k. A lot of people have multiple sources of income and investment to help them retire. This guy doesn't, and from what I can see he has no back up plan. If he ever plans on retiring, he will have to sell a ton of his collection to do it. Like I said, he is a hoarder of the first rate. You have it under control, you have a plan. Relax and execute your plan when you are ready.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:18 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Jesse, you aren't alone. The fact that you even consider selling some cards to help you get others proves you aren't too far gone. . I am 42, and I know a guy who is about 10 years older than me. He recently made several thousand dollars worth of baseball card purchases. Amazed at his sudden flurry of activity, I asked a mutual friend of ours how he did it because this fella practically lives paycheck to paycheck and is an absolute hoarder. My buddy informed me that our friend cashed in a substantial chunk of a 401k. A lot of people have multiple sources of income and investment to help them retire. This guy doesn't, and from what I can see he has no back up plan. If he ever plans on retiring, he will have to sell a ton of his collection to do it. Like I said, he is a hoarder of the first rate. You have it under control, you have a plan. Relax and execute your plan when you are ready.
Some of you may have thought the same thing about me if you've seen some of my posts over the last couple of months. I am by no means a rich man, but have picked up some nice cards recently. 52 Mantle, 51 Bowman Mantle, 14 CJ Wagner, 33 Ruth, etc. The focus of my collection shifted and I have sold off quite a few already. I'm pretty happy with the results so far.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:27 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Some of you may have thought the same thing about me if you've seen some of my posts over the last couple of months. I am by no means a rich man, but have picked up some nice cards recently. 52 Mantle, 51 Bowman Mantle, 14 CJ Wagner, 33 Ruth, etc. The focus of my collection shifted and I have sold off quite a few already. I'm pretty happy with the results so far.
Not at all! It pays to be focused (which I haven't always been ) and resourceful. I have learned that I am never going to be able to get everything I want, but if I will be smart, patient, and focused I can get some nice stuff over time just as you are doing.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:31 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
yeah those cards are the waterside properties....1951 mantle etc.... Peter Speith seems to be looking for all the same cards....1933 ruth is on the water...a 1935 goudey has a view of the water but maybe a block away...
Old 08-14-2015, 03:13 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
yeah those cards are the waterside properties....1951 mantle etc.... Peter Speith seems to be looking for all the same cards....1933 ruth is on the water...a 1935 goudey has a view of the water but maybe a block away...
Yea I've decided that's what interests me the most, just going for a few big cards. Set building really isn't for me, although I probably should have started with something cheaper than 52 Topps. Perhaps down the road I'll try to put a set together again.

The next one I pick up could be a while after this one, but I've got my eye on a few.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:20 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Yea I've decided that's what interests me the most, just going for a few big cards. Set building really isn't for me, although I probably should have started with something cheaper than 52 Topps. Perhaps down the road I'll try to put a set together again.

The next one I pick up could be a while after this one, but I've got my eye on a few.
Exact!! Thats kinda what i been doing. I want some of my childhood players, but also want some big cards i dream to have. I would love a Wag or Joe Jackson, but the hunt is there and narrowed my search for what i want most. And Yes the Goudey Ruths is on my list as well, but hopefully when the prices fall.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 08-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Sean Sullivan

I do that all the time. In fact, just last Saturday, I FINALLY let go of a bunch of complete '80s sets that I loved, but were just taking up too much space. It got to the point where I couldn't even walk around my baseball room and admire my higher end stuff for over a year.
On top of that, I have 4 or 5 cards I bought to "upgrade" and thinking, I will just sell the lower grade (but still nice) cards.
Of course, those duplicate cards are still sitting there.

At least now I can walk around and admire them.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
If anyone was curious the card I picked up is a 52 Mantle. I posted it in the pick up thread. I've decided to follow the original plan and sell the cards I planned to. Thanks for the responses.
Nice Mantle you picked up. That's good you are selling I believe it's better to have one great mt rushmore card than several lesser cards. Quality over quantity.