NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-11-2015, 06:51 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default New Different Exhibit Card back Mantle. Mays etc.

Hi Guys:

Just picked up a group of Exhibits with a new/different back. At least for me it was new. Anyone else have any from this set?

These are from the Fun Fair Olde - Tyme Penny Arcade in Miami Florida. See below.

Just ANOTHER card to add to your Mantle, Mays, Musial, Dodgers, HOF, etc. wantlists!

I have 45 different and this set seems to follow the 1955 Exhibit set which also is the set the PC backs were from.

Here is a list of the cards I picked up: Adcock, Ashburn, Atwell, Baker, Batts, Baumholtz, Bilko, Carrasquel, Dark, Doby, Dropo, Ennis, Goodman, Greengrass, Gromek, Groth, Hegan, Hermanski, Hodges, Kelner, Lockman, Maglie, Mantle, Mathews, Mays, Mele, Minoso, Mitchell, Musial, Pafko, Porterfield, Reese, Roberts, Schoendinst, Schmitz, Seminick, Spahn, Stephens, Torgeson, Trucks, Vernon, Waitkus, Wertz, Woodling, Zernial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fun Fair Back0001.jpg (77.8 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg Bomba Chicklets Ennis0001.jpg (59.1 KB, 259 views)
Old 08-11-2015, 07:35 PM
Chris

Great pickup! I'm assuming the Mantle is for sale for a very reasonable price? .
Old 08-12-2015, 12:50 AM

Wow Fred that's really cool.

Ricky Y
Old 08-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I wouldn't really classify that as a variation if it is a post-production stamp placed by the arcade owner. Interesting but not OEM, so to speak. I have a number of different exhibits with after market stamping on them, even one used to advertise a card collecting magazine [I forget which].

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I wouldn't really classify that as a variation if it is a post-production stamp placed by the arcade owner. Interesting but not OEM, so to speak. I have a number of different exhibits with after market stamping on them, even one used to advertise a card collecting magazine [I forget which].
I am curious as to your take on the Dad's Cookies Exhibits if you don't mind sharing? I view them in a somewhat similar light. I've given up on back variations for Exhibits given the costs associated with them but am always curious about other's opinions.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't think the Dad's were hand stamped. They look like they were printed on the sheets before cutting.

Same with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette backs.

They're interesting adaptations of a card issue to an advertising purpose, I suspect with the cooperation of ESCO in the printing and cutting process. Or like these Nu-Card variations on the common western stars cards:

The arcade back shown above is more like the Page's Pittsburgh Milk back stamp on the Homogenized Bond Bread cards, strictly an after-market affair. Nice and interesting and collectible, but with a difference.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-12-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:52 PM
Chris

Thanks! I've never had one of the Dad's Cookies Exhibits in hand so I always just assumed they were stamped by the Cookie company after the fact.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I take it the Exhibit company really didn't care if arcade owners did that on their own as opposed to getting some sort of a licensing agreement to print ads on the back?

Ricky Y
Old 08-15-2015, 08:12 AM

The only problem I have with hand stamped backs like this are that you have no idea when the stamp was put on.

I've got a dozen blank backed MSA discs of Lou Brock and I could turn them all into rare backs with a $10 stamp from Staples.

Not saying this one isn't vintage, but how do you tell?
Old 08-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Hi Gents:

Been away for a few days. Since I started this thread I should log back into the conversation.

Starting at the top:

Sorry Chris, Mantle is not available as I am sure you knew. Mantle was probably the one in the worst shape of the group as someone put tape on all four corners!

I did get a few dupes which I would consider trading but the Mick was not one of them. I also have a few Dad's Cookies for trade.

Thanks Ricky! I know you enjoy your Exhibits as I do!

Hey Adam: I did not classify these as a variation, I said they were a new/different back. Agreed it and others with stamps are not OEM. Please post other baseball/football Exhibits with aftermarket stamping you mention.

I will post some of mine below. In order (I hope)

Set of Dad's Cookies, 2 Different Fonts/Wording on the Holloway Black Cow Sucker backs, Dad's close up, Bomba Chicklets from Puerto Rico, Triple Nickel Books, 2 Different 1955 PC backs one with plain line one with the words A MUTOSCOPE CARD in the line, A Plain PC back, Fun Fair back again, Pittsburgh Post Gazette, and close up of Triple Nickel Books.

Anyone else have any different backs on their Post 1939 Exhibits? If so please post them here!

One interesting point that may or may not be pertinent, as mentioned, I got 45 different in this group. One of the other backs shown below, the Bomba Chicklets from Puerto Rico, also has 45 different cards in the group that was found. I wonder if the Exhibit company limited other company's who wanted to print or stamp on the back to just do so on 45 cards so as not to "infringe" on the normal Exhibit set of 64 cards. This may hold true for all but the Dad's Cookies set which was issued in a 64 card set.

More research will need to be done and more cards for most of the sets would need to be found to answer that question.

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0362.jpg (78.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Cow Sucker0001.jpg (77.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg ExBacks.jpg (82.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle PC's0002.jpg (72.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg plain postcard back0001.jpg (78.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Fun Fair Back0001.jpg (77.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Robinson Post Gazette 2.jpg (76.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg triple_nick1.jpg (45.5 KB, 105 views)
Old 08-22-2015, 06:03 PM
Larry

Quote:
Absolutely +1.

Larry