NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-27-2015, 07:09 PM
Dave

Default I need to hear some good news.

It's been a rough couple of weeks for my wife and I. I'd like to hear some good (happy) news from anyone. Anything and everything. Thanks !
Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
It's been a rough couple of weeks for my wife and I. I'd like to hear some good (happy) news from anyone. Anything and everything. Thanks !
Kimbrel's working on a changeup!

check out any Brian Regan video (several on YouTube) - laughter is always good medicine.

- I'll keep y'all in my thoughts too!

-Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-27-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:46 PM

Two cannibals were eating a clown when one of them asks, "Does this taste funny to you?"

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-28-2015, 12:30 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Two cannibals were eating a clown when one of them asks, "Does this taste funny to you?"

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

If a vegetarian eats animal crackers. Are they still vegetarians ?
Old 02-28-2015, 06:57 AM
H Murphy

Default Good News

Hey Dave some good news is you guys in the Hub should actually see some 40 degree days this week and us western mass`ers close to it. Also it`s day lights savings time next sat so before you know it the 2 of you will be "experiencing" 'tourists", cape traffic, it`s wicked hot out, is the T running yet, and of course another roller coaster Red Sox season. Hang in there...... !
Old 02-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
is the T running yet,
We've been asking that since they started phasing out the old PCC cars on the green line in the 70's.

Yes, the weather looks to be the best news of the week. I'm enjoying the upper 20's already, 40's would be fantastic.

Good news? When I fell on the ice Wednesday night it was just a strain. could have been way worse.

Steve B
Old 02-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
Hey Dave some good news is you guys in the Hub should actually see some 40 degree days this week and us western mass`ers close to it. Also it`s day lights savings time next sat so before you know it the 2 of you will be "experiencing" 'tourists", cape traffic, it`s wicked hot out, is the T running yet, and of course another roller coaster Red Sox season. Hang in there...... !
40 degree weather would be great. It will melt some of these 5'-6' snow piles. The T is trying to get back to normal sevice. Last I heard, they said full service will be restored by the end of MARCH ! The commuter rails are much worse off I guess.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:26 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Kimbrel's working on a changeup!

check out any Brian Regan video (several on YouTube) - laughter is always good medicine.

- I'll keep y'all in my thoughts too!

-Raymond

Thank you.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Doug Chamberlain

I hear Pablo Sandoval lost a couple pounds!!
Transaction thanks to: Andretti83, Beatles Guy, Bocabirdman, Brailey, Bryon Long, buckyball1, cincyredlegs, cparker94, dealme, deltufjp2, detroitbaseball, dougscats, drmondobueno, Edwolf1963, esiason14, familytoad, freakhappy, GehrigFan, grainsley, hangman62, JasonL, jschris, kamikidEFFL, KC Doughboy, LukeLyon, marslife, rainier2004, swohscs, tedzan, tinkertoeverstochance, vcuono, and more...
Old 02-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Dave

All great stuff. Keep them coming. Thanks
Old 03-01-2015, 08:14 AM
Grant Rainsley

PETE CARROLL LEAVING THE SEAHAWKS!

Pete Carroll, head coach of the Seattle Seahawks, is reported to be very near to signing on as a special consultant to The Pope in Vatican City. The Pope looks to recruit Carroll to be a spokesman for the Catholic Church because he is the first man in history that made 100 million people jump up and yell "Jesus Christ!" at the same time.

More information will be reported as details emerge………
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 03-01-2015, 03:33 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Hi Dave,

Live not too far from Boston, watching more snow fall as I write this, BUT the Sox play BC and Northeastern this week....to me, this game has ALWAYS signaled the 'official' start of the baseball season!

Let's hope Ortiz can keep his damn feet in the box!

Take care,
Andrew
Old 03-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Hi Dave,

Live not too far from Boston, watching more snow fall as I write this, BUT the Sox play BC and Northeastern this week....to me, this game has ALWAYS signaled the 'official' start of the baseball season!

Let's hope Ortiz can keep his damn feet in the box!

Take care,
Andrew
I saw some where that Ortiz wasn't happy with the new rule to speed the games up.

Last edited by DHogan; 03-01-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:36 AM

Default Good News

Quote:

Try www.bbnradio.org
Old 03-02-2015, 04:43 PM

Termite walks into a bar and says, "Where is your bar tender?"

Old 03-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Dave

Come on guys. I really need to hear more good news.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:12 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

As a teacher I can tell you that the kids I have seem to get nicer and nicer every year. Not necessarily smarter, but nicer. There's always hope in youth.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:26 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

The snow is melting, the new season of House of Cards is the best one yet, and after last season, the only way the Sox can go is up.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Come on guys. I really need to hear more good news.
It's starting to dry out in N.Texas (yea), but the rains are coming back.....which means our low lake levels will be helped. So, it's a win-win!!...sort of
Old 03-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

My girlfriend didn't get the termite joke. I had to tell her that termites eat wood and bars are made of wood. It was funnier than the actual joke.

Good: Office Depot didn't have the bubble mailers I needed, so they gave me over 50% off on something that was close.

Good: I held a puppy the other day and decided I needed to get another dog.

Good: About to have a pot of my favorite tea and will also get to meet my girlfriend for lunch. Whoop!

Good: free refill at new coffee shop.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:04 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I've been to two Spring Training games so far. Three more to go. Going to see the Cardinals and Mets on Friday. Then on Sunday going to the Pirates and Astros. Then the following Friday going to see the Marlins and Astros! Yay for spring baseball!

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 03-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Dave

Thanks guys.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Doug Chamberlain

From my sister's sent birthday card I learned that the origin of the Irish Jig goes way back to an ole Irish tavern that served free beer but had no restrooms!!
Transaction thanks to: Andretti83, Beatles Guy, Bocabirdman, Brailey, Bryon Long, buckyball1, cincyredlegs, cparker94, dealme, deltufjp2, detroitbaseball, dougscats, drmondobueno, Edwolf1963, esiason14, familytoad, freakhappy, GehrigFan, grainsley, hangman62, JasonL, jschris, kamikidEFFL, KC Doughboy, LukeLyon, marslife, rainier2004, swohscs, tedzan, tinkertoeverstochance, vcuono, and more...
Old 03-26-2015, 06:23 PM

Default Things could always be worse:

83Funnycauseitstrue_thumb.jpg

Old 04-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Dave

Anyone have anything new, fun or exciting going on ?
Old 04-04-2015, 04:12 AM
Bill Boyd

Dave,
I volunteer at a local Genealogy Society helping people research their families. I have been approached by the local Junior High School, that the History Club wished to research their families. So for the last month or so, I have been meeting with this History Club and teaching them how to research their families, mainly through the free sources that are available.
I have been pleasantly surprised that these kids are excited about doing their research. When they randomly yell out "I found my great grandfather", is very rewarding. Sparking their interest in their family history and what involvement their family may have had in shaping our towns, counties or countries histories, will certainly perk their interest when it comes time for them to study about our countries events.
We do our work in the school library, and at one of our sessions, several kids had to serve their detentions in the library. After the session was over, a couple of the kids serving their detentions, approached me about researching family histories. These kids are curious, they want to know about their family's past. This has turned out to be a very rewarding program. And it is something anyone can do with their children.

Last edited by billyb; 04-04-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
Dave,
I volunteer at a local Genealogy Society helping people research their families. I have been approached by the local Junior High School, that the History Club wished to research their families. So for the last month or so, I have been meeting with this History Club and teaching them how to research their families, mainly through the free sources that are available.
I have been pleasantly surprised that these kids are excited about doing their research. When they randomly yell out "I found my great grandfather", is very rewarding. Sparking their interest in their family history and what involvement their family may have had in shaping our towns, counties or countries histories, will certainly perk their interest when it comes time for them to study about our countries events.
We do our work in the school library, and at one of our sessions, several kids had to serve their detentions in the library. After the session was over, a couple of the kids serving their detentions, approached me about researching family histories. These kids are curious, they want to know about their family's past. This has turned out to be a very rewarding program. And it is something anyone can do with their children.
Bill, very cool. It's good to hear that young kids are still interested in some history.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Anyone have anything new, fun or exciting going on ?
no
Old 05-09-2015, 01:32 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

I save 15% on Geico insurance by switching.

Albert
Old 05-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
no
There's always tomorrow Leon.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Belltown Vintage

I picked 7 tomatoes yesterday! I have 12 different varieties producing and really enjoying my first garden.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I picked 7 tomatoes yesterday! I have 12 different varieties producing and really enjoying my first garden.
Now that is some great news. Not much better than a fresh picked tomato. Here the outside gardeners are just starting to get ripe tomatoes. As a inside grower I have had them for close to 2 months.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

Our gardening season got started early this year and I took advantage - normally we wouldn't have ripe tomatoes until August. I've already pulled several Japanese eggplants and yellow squash and hoping the collard greens work out.

Favorite tomato so far is the Black Krim with Mr. Stripey a close second.

Another good thing: we adopted a 1.5-2 yr old black and tan coonhound three months ago. He's a very lovable dog. He has some issues that I'm not solving very well, but he's about to go back to a professional trainer, so we are looking forward to a lovable AND manageable dog. As you have mentioned (Ben), rescues don't forget that they have been rescued, but I'll add that it's good to let the dog pick you out at the shelter - if you are paying attention, there will be at least one that informs you that you should be his new companion.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:19 PM
pariah1107

Shelter animals are my first and only choice for pets.

The Whiskey Dick triathlon last weekend was an awesome time with friends. I finished the one mile Columbia River swim in 18:56 almost 30 seconds faster than two years ago , and was fourth overall out of the water. Our three man relay finished second in our age group 40-45; a nearly one hour improvement from our last effort (no event last year due to water level problems from the Colockum Dam). Here's my daughter at the Vantage boat launch before the swim.... "Are you sure you want to do this?"

Last edited by pariah1107; 08-04-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Our gardening season got started early this year and I took advantage - normally we wouldn't have ripe tomatoes until August. I've already pulled several Japanese eggplants and yellow squash and hoping the collard greens work out.

Favorite tomato so far is the Black Krim with Mr. Stripey a close second.

Another good thing: we adopted a 1.5-2 yr old black and tan coonhound three months ago. He's a very lovable dog. He has some issues that I'm not solving very well, but he's about to go back to a professional trainer, so we are looking forward to a lovable AND manageable dog. As you have mentioned (Ben), rescues don't forget that they have been rescued, but I'll add that it's good to let the dog pick you out at the shelter - if you are paying attention, there will be at least one that informs you that you should be his new companion.
My last 3 shelter dogs picked me. We had a St Bernard for 13 years, a Rottweiler for 13 years, and our current Pitbull for close to 2 years now.

When getting our current dog I did not want a small dog(under 100 lbs) or a pitbull. Well now we have a 75 lb Pitbull named Bubba that sad puppy eyed me into adopting him and I am darn glad he did.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
My last 3 shelter dogs picked me. We had a St Bernard for 13 years, a Rottweiler for 13 years, and our current Pitbull for close to 2 years now.

When getting our current dog I did not want a small dog(under 100 lbs) or a pitbull. Well now we have a 75 lb Pitbull named Bubba that sad puppy eyed me into adopting him and I am darn glad he did.
Yes, if you let them adopt you, you will generally end up with something you didn't plan on. My plan was a 40-50 pound Australian Shepherd or Border Collie - my last dog, Angie, was a 75 pound lovable hound that I carried quite a bit for the last four years of her life, so this time I wanted a dog that would be easy to handle when it got old. So I brought home a 90 pound Coonhound puppy

I blame it on David, as he was there with me and didn't tell me not to. Bad David.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:08 PM

Just found out a few days ago that my comic strip is getting published by ths magazine called Palooka next year.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Dave

Quote:
I've never cared for tomatoes. My wife loves them.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

I love them, but from a practical standpoint - many of my recipes call for tomato sauce, and there is nothing better than home-made. I have 15 plants, hoping they go crazy so that I can make enough sauce to fill the freezer. I really don't care for the stuff in the cans.

My girlfriend does not usually like tomatoes, but she has been eating these every time I bring them into the house. They are quite different from what you get in a store, as in - they have flavor.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Dave

There was a story in yesterdays paper that there will be a bumper crop of apples in New England this year. I hope the huge storm with hail today didn't ruin that prediction.

My wife won't let me have a dog. We live in a very small apartment.

Congratulations on the comic strip getting published.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:47 PM
Dave

Thank you all for posting. I hope more people will do the same.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Ben North

Quote:

My wife won't let me have a dog.
I have always found it is much easier to get forgiven than get permission from the wife.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:30 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

This link that Steve B posted in the autograph section was pretty funny: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/84680172/
Old 08-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I have always found it is much easier to get forgiven than get permission from the wife.
My wife threatens to kill me when I do stuff like that. I keep wondering if she would do me in some day.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:54 AM
Daryl

Default I need to hear some good news.

My wife and I are expecting our first child, a boy, by the end of this year. We have been married (and trying) over 10 years, and finally got to the point where we thought it would never happen. But, God blessed us like He always does and I believe His timing is better than ours could ever be! The only bad news (not really) is that I'm selling my collection to help out, but I'm glad to do it.

Last edited by 4815162342; 10-04-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
My wife and I are expecting our first child, a boy, by the end of this year. We have been married (and trying) over 10 years, and finally got to the point where we thought it would never happen. But, God blessed us like He always does and I believe His timing is better than ours could ever be! The only bad news (not really) is that I'm selling my collection to help out, but I'm glad to do it.
Thats awesome! Congrats!!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
My wife and I are expecting our first child, a boy, by the end of this year. We have been married (and trying) over 10 years, and finally got to the point where we thought it would never happen. But, God blessed us like He always does and I believe His timing is better than ours could ever be!
Congratulations !
Old 10-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Dave

Thank you to all the members that post in this topic. It's helped me in a good way to hear some real time good news. With all the stuff that my wife has been going thru the past 6 years due to complications from chronic progressive Multiple Sclerosis. She has been dealing with MS for 28 years. We were told yesterday that she needs to be on a ventilator permanently and 24/7 nursing care. Any prayers and kind thoughts will help us both.

Best regards,
Dave Hogan
Old 10-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Thank you to all the members that post in this topic. It's helped me in a good way to hear some real time good news. With all the stuff that my wife has been going thru the past 6 years due to complications from chronic progressive Multiple Sclerosis. She has been dealing with MS for 28 years. We were told yesterday that she needs to be on a ventilator permanently and 24/7 nursing care. Any prayers and kind thoughts will help us both.

Best regards,
Dave Hogan
I wish you and your Wife the best.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:56 PM
Ben North

For some good news I am on vacation and this is the view off the upper deck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vacation.jpg (75.9 KB, 216 views)