NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-21-2014, 08:45 PM

Default c1915 Yale vs. Swarthmore Basketball Broadside P/U

photo 1915YaleSwarthBasktBroad1_zps3c73b8f6.jpg

I'm pretty happy with this broadside that came this week off eBay...The seller had the year of 1901 wrong...and a high starting bid...No one bid...It took a couple seeks to put a deal together but he took my offer and relisted it with my offer as a BIN...at a designated time I would be on line to snatch it. I was able to learn the year by narrowing the years Tuesday March 2nd fell on being 1897 , 1909 , 1915....then I found a list of the games Swarthmore played in 1915 and that was the only March 2nd game with Yale...

photo 1914-15Schedule_zps8dc34c60.jpg

photo 1914-15BasketballTeam_zps096e904d.jpg

All that was great to find....but after I got it the seller told me a whole lot more of the posters history...it came from a player on the 1915 Yale team...and there's a lot more...which I plan to write a story on.

1915 is the earliest color illustrated college basketball broadside I've seen. For some reason early basketball broadsides are a lot tougher to find than baseball and football...About a year ago I posted a Syracuse vs. Colgate basketball broadside...and I was very happy to get it but this ones is bigger and illustrated...

For me the top tier of broadsides is when they are issued by the school as opposed to a newspaper, or railroad, or other entity (although railroad ones are very cool)...For me they're the most substantial in that they come direct from the source...This one was issued by Yale and an alum named Robert Dobson illustrated it.

For anyone interested, below is a link to a story I did on antique sports posters

http://www.sportsantiques.com/PurdueNWBBPost.htm

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 06-21-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Brad

Great item, Carlton. I've used the same method of deduction to date some of my early 1900s Purdue pieces - use an old media guide or record book to match the years that they played that particular opponent on that date and/or use an online calendar if necessary to trim down the possibilities to find the year.

Looking forward to reading the story on the piece's background!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Great item, Carlton. I've used the same method of deduction to date some of my early 1900s Purdue pieces - use an old media guide or record book to match the years that they played that particular opponent on that date and/or use an online calendar if necessary to trim down the possibilities to find the year.

Looking forward to reading the story on the piece's background!
Thanks Brad...yeah research is part of the fun...so you collect early Purdue items?

Old 06-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Scott S

Really neat item, Carlton! I know how hard any early basketball items can be, as I have been eying any opportunities to add Harvard basketball pieces to my Harvard collection. The best I have done on that front is this 1908 program, which has a drawing of a gentleman on the front who has a similar uniform to the Yale player on your broadside. Love these items!

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harvard bask cover.jpg (73.5 KB, 173 views)
Old 06-24-2014, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Really neat item, Carlton! I know how hard any early basketball items can be, as I have been eying any opportunities to add Harvard basketball pieces to my Harvard collection. The best I have done on that front is this 1908 program, which has a drawing of a gentleman on the front who has a similar uniform to the Yale player on your broadside. Love these items!

Scott

Thanks Scot, glad you appreciate it...Nice early program...good luck on those Harvard basketball pieces...Yeah...One time I was in a mall in Sacramento and got this girls basketball broadside for a game at the YWCA in Oakland Ca...unusual in that the illustration appears to be original pen and ink and hand colored art...It about the same size as the Yale Swarthmore....about 22" tall...and it's got the all important year of 1929!

photo Basketball_19X14_Inch_zps25ea53f4.jpg

photo close_zps1e7b228d.jpg

Old 06-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Thanks Brad...yeah research is part of the fun...so you collect early Purdue items?
Yes, Carlton...And I believe you have a couple Purdue pieces in your collection that would fit nicely in mine (if you ever want to sell...hint, hint).

I don’t want to hijack your thread, but here is one of my favorite Purdue pieces. I grew up in central Indiana and most of my family attended Purdue and/or lives nearby. I transferred to Purdue for my junior year of college (1991) and a friend of mine had a relative who lived nearby who had been a student at Purdue in the late 30s/early 40s. He knew I collected, in his words, “old sports stuff.” One day he brought me something and said I could add it to my collection if I wanted it.

It’s a tri-fold program/scorecard from the opening game played at Purdue's "new" baseball field in 1939 – an exhibition against the Pittsburgh Pirates - Saturday, April 15 (the Pirates opened the season two days later at Cincinnati). It measures 5-1/2 inches by 8 inches. Hall of Famers on the club included both Waner brothers, Arky Vaughan and Heinie Manush. Honus Wagner was a coach and Pie Traynor was the manager.

The back page has the baseball season schedule and the upcoming fall football schedule. The football squad played eight games that season and SIX were on the road!

Anyway...back to your thread. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Purdue program - 1.jpg (52.4 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Purdue program - 2.jpg (74.2 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Purdue program - roster highlights.jpg (70.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Purdue program - 4.jpg (70.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Purdue program - 5.jpg (73.1 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Purdue program - 6.jpg (55.5 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by BradH; 06-24-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 06-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Rob

Very cool, Carlton!

Am I the only drunk who thought "BYOB" when i saw this?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:05 PM

Carlton,
I'm glad you are finally collecting basketball memorabila !!!
See you at the National !!!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:25 AM

Default Got Team Photos!

photo full_zpsd152e357.jpg

BradH, Great program....look at those big names on the Pittsburgh roster....I like pro against college team exhibition games...nice program...Yeah I probably woudn't want to move that Purdue v Northwestern poster...It's by a big name illustrator named Leyendecker...story here

Rob/ooo-ribay...Thanks boss..glad you like the antique stuff...I know you have a heck of a Giants addiction...I mean collection...

Alan/Jewish Collector...Yeah sure I do basketball...Thanks but not going to the National...still tired from last years LOL...

Please note...I got photos of both the Yale and Swarthmore teams for 1915...see upper part of my home page...and there's still a story to go with the poster I want to write...have do drill down for more info first...If you can believe it....may involve a title search of a home in Stratford CT. before I can get the information I need!!!!

Old 07-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
 photo full_zpsd152e357.jpg

Yeah I probably woudn't want to move that Purdue v Northwestern poster...It's by a big name illustrator named Leyendecker...story here
Yes....I have read that post before, and this is one of the pieces I was referring to...