NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I remember a post a while back talking about frosting or something like that on PSA cases that had been tampered with. Would this be an example of a PSA case being tampered with? The link below is a card that from my understanding would be considered as possibly tampered with b/c looking at the back, the left side has more frosting at the edge of the case when comparing it to the right side. Just trying to learn what to look for.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/auction/93619748

Old 11-04-2005, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

Posted By: Anonymous

Hello Charlie,

I am a newby here but I was on the PSA boards for awhile before I started to look at this board. As far as WIWAG goes they had their own sealer so I am not sure you can tell from looking at the holder. The best way I have heard of is to see a crappy card in a holder with a high grade flip. I have also heard that vintage cards were not targeted but I could be wrong. Also, As far as tampering with holders I have heard that really bad frosting on all edges of the holder is a good sign and obviously if the holder comes apart way to easy. I know some think they come apart easy anyway but anything out of the ordinary is a clue.

Troy

Old 11-04-2005, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

Posted By: T206Collector

The example that you have provided does not help -- I hardly notice any difference in the "frosting" and, in any event, think any slight difference in color is more likely due to the way the light from the scanner is being reflected. Also, the Lajoie looks like a 4, and the seller is asking way too much money for it. However, if you were going to find tampered PSA seals, I imagine Yahoo! would be a good place to start.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

Posted By: pete

i agree with t206Collector, the scan does not show well, the card is graded a 4 which to me is a correct grade for that card, based on the photo provided i would say its not tampered with...
pete-

my best pitch was the one that made it to the plate!

Old 11-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

Posted By: Josh K.

I also agree that that slab is not tampered with. In fact, I dont believe that there is any "frosting" shown in that scan (at least not the type of frosting that you see when a slab is cracked open). If you really want to know what it looks like, buy a low priced psa card and crack the slab open yourself - you will immediately see the difference.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

Posted By: Charlie Barokas

After the whole "WIWAG" thing PSA added a security measure to its holders. If you look on the border of the holder you will see 4 clear spots or "windows" as long as these windows are clear then the holder has not been resealed.

Charlie

Old 11-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

Posted By: scott ingold

Old 11-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

Posted By: identify7

Fine example of the T206 Hummel, stealth variety!

Old 11-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

Ha Ha . Point is with the psa case' that they don't break. Sgc and gai shatter. Imho this is not good when buying online.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

I don't know about GAI, but I have not seen shattering with SGC.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

Posted By: Joe

gai does shatter

Old 11-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

The new BVGs are real difficult - the two halves fit inside each other (I guess that is one half inside, and the other the sleeve). Wouldn't crack, used a saw.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

Posted By: Charlie Barokas

Scott,

Before you start worrying, check out the windows on the left and right border they are cloudy not clear. I don't think people need to be worried if all the windows are clear.

Charlie

Old 11-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

I really meant that alot of people do not know this and if you see a case from a scan it could spell trouble. Even though i crack and resubmit all the time it would be great if the case was not usable afterwards.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

Posted By: will watson

the Lajoie slab looks fine, just a little beat up. for reference, here is a slab that has been tampered with:

sorry it isnt prewar baseball, its the only one i could find

Old 11-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Default Tampered cases

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I appreciate the advice on the card. It might just be the way I was seeing the back of the holder that made me think that it would be a good example of a tampered case.

Scott and Will I appreciate you posting scans of holders that have been messed with. It will be a good reference for the future. Now I can say I know what a frosted case would look like.