NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Default Probstein Ebay Rollout

Right now Probstein has some amazing cards on Ebay BIN, including a T227 Cobb to die for. What I don't get is why these consignors don't use an AH that would normally wave any fees for cards of this ilk, unless Probstein has done the same just to get the publicity. Am I missing something?
Old 01-24-2018, 10:52 AM
pete ullman

those "museum" pieces have been up atleast a few weeks.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Robert Williams

Museum prices suck.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Right now Probstein has some amazing cards on Ebay BIN, including a T227 Cobb to die for. What I don't get is why these consignors don't use an AH that would normally wave any fees for cards of this ilk, unless Probstein has done the same just to get the publicity. Am I missing something?
Even if AH doesn't charge seller a fee on front end, you are likely losing money on the buyer's commission on the back end. Capeesch?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-24-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:34 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Even if AH doesn't charge seller a fee on front end, you are likely losing money on the buyer's commission on the back end. Capeesch?
Not to mention also taking a risk of getting less than you want for the card.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-24-2018, 12:29 PM

His "museum cards" have been up for many weeks, including amazing, high graded versions of an E90-1 Joe Jackson, a T206 Cy young bare hand, an E102 Cobb, 48 Leaf Paige, 1917 Collins-McCarthy Joe Jackson (totally unreal this one), etc.

I just kind of assumed they belonged to him and that they were not consigned. I dont know why i think/thought that other than if those were my cards, I would not use Ebay to sell them. In my opinion, cards like these should be consigned to a very well respected auction house with a strong international presence.

I think that Ebay, especially PWCC, Probstein, etc., regardless of what you think of them, are ideal for cards that have wide appeal and are affordable (a relative term) to the masses (e.g., T206 red Cobb 5 vs same card in an 8). And yes, I think those with large ebay presences (like the aforementioned) will get higher prices for a card than a seller with less of a presence
Old 01-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Rob

Surprised he didn't list auction style since his auctions always seem to end higher than everyone else's buy it nows. wink wink

I'm going to go toss my couch cushions to see if I can come up with 500K to buy that Tom Brady rookie.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:50 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

probstein is dead to me.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-24-2018, 04:45 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Seems like the only sellers and AHs left on his board are a few identified saints, can not possibly do anything wrong, Mother Teresa as a card seller, and many others who are just the vile scum of the earth.

I’ve been reading pretty carefully here for a while. What is Probstein’s offense? Was he caught manufacturing fake cards? No. Does he sell people cards that are different than he advertises? Haven’t heard that. Does he post photoshpped Pics? Haven’t heard that. Does he take people’s money and not send cards? No. Seems to me all he has been charged with is his cards are overpriced and possibly shilled by his consignors. Which describes a lot of sellers. I have made a couple of offers in the last year and gotten some reasonable transactions. Guy is in a business to make as much money as he can. I get it. He’s not running the Red Cross or American Cancer Society.

I see some real unscrupulous criminals in this hobby. Trying to sell at inflated prices doesn’t get my gander up.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-24-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:53 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Seems like the only sellers and AHs left on his board are a few identified saints, can not possibly do anything wrong, Mother Teresa as a card seller, and many others who are just the vile scum of the earth.

I’ve been reading pretty carefully here for a while. What is Probstein’s offense? Was he caught manufacturing fake cards? No. Does he sell people cards that are different than he advertises? Haven’t heard that. Does he post photoshpped Pics? Haven’t heard that. Does he take people’s money and not send cards? No. Seems to me all he has been charged with is his cards are overpriced and possibly shilled by his consignors. Which describes a lot of sellers. I have made a couple of offers in the last year and gotten some reasonable transactions. Guy is in a business to make as much money as he can. I get it. He’s not running the Red Cross or American Cancer Society.

I see some real unscrupulous criminals in this hobby. Trying to sell at inflated prices doesn’t get my gander up.
I agree - most of the time Rick's cards go for more than I am willing to pay BUT every now and then I do get, what I feel is, a pretty decent deal. Shipping is always fast, packaging is great and I never question whether the card received is the same card I purchased. So not real sure what all the hubbub is? (hubbub is a good word - aint it?)
Old 01-25-2018, 05:09 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default prob

Probstein is Good

Museums are good..but closed due to Gov. shut down
Old 01-25-2018, 06:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
Probstein is Good

Museums are good..but closed due to Gov. shut down
Or the Sabbath
I agree, I like Probstein as a seller. I have bought some cards at very fair prices in his auctions.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:46 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Or the Sabbath
I agree, I like Probstein as a seller. I have bought some cards at very fair prices in his auctions.

...but probstein is STILL dead to me!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente