NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Default What do you think of the new PSA slab?

What do you guys think of the new PSA slab?

https://www.psacard.com/security

A lot of new features. I think the QR code on the back is a little dated but I guess that's a nice feature for the registry. What I really don't like about the new slab though is this new 'lighthouse' PSA logo on the front. It's HUGE not to mention it dissects the classic red border. Suddenly all of the old PSA slabs will look out of place because the border is now split. I have a feeling a lot of OCD collectors will have an issue with this and/or people that like to display their PSA cards.

It reminds me of the time SGC messed with their iconic green border and after a lot of negative feedback they tweaked the design to incorporate the border. I appreciate the new technology, but this new PSA front logo is going to stick out like a sore thumb when every PSA slab made since 1991 has an unbroken red border.

It would be great if they would consider moving the light house logo above the classic red border and just make the new logo a little smaller.

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 06-19-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:18 PM

I think the new slab is very excellent!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:19 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Don't worry, it will change again soon.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:24 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post

...and there will be a price bump each time...

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-20-2017, 05:30 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
...and there will be a price bump each time...
Lets not forget the huge push to get people to reslab their cards because any slab/label before this latest and greatest is just not worth having.

Here is a link to this same thread already in the water cooler section. http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241094

Last edited by bnorth; 06-20-2017 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

At the end of the day it is still a piece of cheap mass produced plastic. And it must mean the last one from a couple of years back that at the time was so great has not solved the problem.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:43 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
At the end of the day it is still a piece of cheap mass produced plastic. And it must mean the last one from a couple of years back that at the time was so great has not solved the problem.
I don't think they changed the cheap plastic slab, just the label again.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

They are touting a stronger weld though. Stronger than what?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:51 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Is it just me or have they tightened down the screws on grading stamdards with the release of the hologram labels? I've compared lots of side by side grades and it appears to be the case.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:17 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Tuesday???

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Tuesday???
Get thee back to the watercooler.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:42 AM
Greg Mitchell

My biggest issue has not been new holders but PSA's increasing use of ugly wrap surrounding cards inside the holder (even t206s) allegedly to hold them in place. They've always done it on very limited basis but now going whole hog. Ruins many cards for me and I never buy them now as "aesthetics" mean a lot for me. I realize some people like the extra "protection." Anyone else agree?
Old 06-20-2017, 10:06 AM
J1m C0chran

It hasn't deterred me from buying one (at least consciously), but yes it detracts. It's just one more layer between your eye and the card. I have a similar opinion about BVG.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Default Yeah , I think so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Is it just me or have they tightened down the screws on grading stamdards with the release of the hologram labels? I've compared lots of side by side grades and it appears to be the case.

...yeah I think so too....I got these back around Christmas ; I know this set ; I was truly expecting 8.5 's with an outside chance of a 9 for the Bridges and Miksis..------.or just maybe they were assigned to the "Grader Of Death" at 4.52 pm on a Friday....

Old 06-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Better get used to it, people. PSA won't stop until they create a perfect holder, and I believe they eventually will. In the future, they will insert a micro chip into the case. If anyone cracks the case open, then the chip will immediately transmit the information to the PSA headquarters. The card will also be automatically removed from their online database.

Furthermore, human graders will be replaced by GREEN LASERS. The GREEN LASERS will be able to zoom in on the card (7000 x) and even the tiniest amount of restoration will be detected. No more inconsistencies in grading, no more doctored cards getting slabbed - everything will be perfect.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:19 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Better get used to it, people. PSA won't stop until they create a perfect holder, and I believe they eventually will. In the future, they will insert a micro chip into the case. If anyone cracks the case open, then the chip will immediately transmit the information to the PSA headquarters. The card will also be automatically removed from their online database.

Furthermore, human graders will be replaced by GREEN LASERS. The GREEN LASERS will be able to zoom in on the card (7000 x) and even the tiniest amount of restoration will be detected. No more inconsistencies in grading, no more doctored cards getting slabbed - everything will be perfect.
r u for real?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:52 PM
Ben

the $7 reholder fee isn't really a problem imo, the problem is the $29 return shipping... I think the new holder will be good for the hobby.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I just think it's way way for them to continue to re slab cards. It cost them nothing to do and probably makes a ton . I would like to see how much they made from the last time they made a a hologram.

If they change the plastic holder that will cost to much money. No matter how much they say that it's for you the collector. Remember it's about how much money they make.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:09 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I personally like the new PSA flip a lot, so much so, that once I saw it, I renewed my PSA Platinum membership because I was afraid prices would soon go up. I'm sold on it, and the logo dissecting into the red frame doesn't bother me.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:52 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default Don't care.

PSA is like any profit driven company. Things do not happen if there's no money in it. Maybe it's protecting market share, maybe creating a new market by disavowing old holders, maybe just new flash to keep up with the times.

You tell me. No company will blab their strategies for all to see. Just have your cash ready.

Pay up, sucker.
...whatever I want
Old 06-21-2017, 05:47 AM

The size, location and amount of PSA logos on both sides of the flip, is a bit much, to be polite. Looks too busy visually.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:52 AM
pete ullman

i like the added security measures...but seriously Joe...we should now consider PSA a technology company...get real!
Old 06-21-2017, 05:54 AM
pete ullman

oh...and by the way..."never get cheated!"
Old 06-21-2017, 07:49 AM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Their weld machine setting goes to "11", which is better than the others that only go to "10".
Old 06-21-2017, 08:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

To be really cynical, my guess is that our man in Mexico is not going to be deterred by this. I hope I am wrong and that it helps and it is good that PSA is trying. I don't think people really appreciate the extent of the problem.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:06 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
To be really cynical, my guess is that our man in Mexico is not going to be deterred by this. I hope I am wrong and that it helps and it is good that PSA is trying. I don't think people really appreciate the extent of the problem.
Me either Peter......some of these guys think there are an endless supply of Pete Rose PSA 10 rookie cards!!
Old 06-21-2017, 08:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Me either Peter......some of these guys think there are an endless supply of Pete Rose PSA 10 rookie cards!!
It's more of an issue, I think, with cards where seeing a 10 doesn't immediately raise a red flag because lots exist, like Jordan, Montana, etc.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:32 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
oh...and by the way..."never get cheated!"
Lol
...whatever I want
Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 AM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

These are nice looking slabs, I received this Monday.

Last edited by PiratesWS1979; 06-21-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Happened to me,too,several times.Ultra quick finish up a submission at end of the workday and I get screwed.But one time the cards were overgraded in my favor,couldn't believe the grades I got.Even a Santo '61 rookie with a clearly creased upper corner got a 7.The quick denigrating grades on a submission far surpassed that one in my favor.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:05 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

PSA has always been about profits first, not protection first however that is abundantly clear that some collectors are not able to see that.

They had no choice but to change to the existing holder to made it more difficult for them to be opened and resealed. They had no choice but to upgrade the flip with more security features so that they will be harder to reproduce them.

I am not sure how this prevents the fella in Mexico (or anyone else) from continuing to do what he is doing. As long as cards with previous versions of flips are in circulation it is a green light for this fraud to continue.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post

This lends credence to the idea that the grading standards are tougher with the newer slabs. That's a great looking 3!
Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post

Personally all I see now is an obnoxiously huge PSA logo. My eye first goes directly to that massive light house. But beautiful Cy Young by the way.

Tags
psa