NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default What is your favorite autograph medium?

I enjoy letters, gpc's, signed documents and checks the most as they typically date the signature. I am also more comfortable with the authenticity. I specifically collect pre-rookie and rookie signatures on these items. However, I do enjoy many other mediums. What are your favorite signed items to collect? I would love to see them! Below are some of mine..

not rookie but it will do

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 09-16-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:22 PM
M@tt Schw@de

3x5's or GPC's, no doubt about it.... And those that know me know I am even picky about the writing utensil depending on my project.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
3x5's or GPC's, no doubt about it.... And those that know me know I am even picky about the writing utensil depending on my project.
I hear you Matt.. I only buy pen now... no more sharpies or pencil for me. Do you frame your pieces at all?

Last edited by Forever Young; 09-16-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Mama, that's nice!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:10 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
I hear you Matt.. I only buy pen now... no more sharpies or pencil for me. Do you frame your pieces at all?
Yes I do.. I like to include pictures above the 3x5's and double mat around the picture and the index card. What's the deal with no sharpies? I like Sharpies for the newer autographs because you can read them from further away.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:11 PM
M@tt Schw@de

And by the way, after reading Kevin Nelson's book, I definitely do not want to own autographed 8x10's unless I got them myself.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Unhappy

I'm a sucker for the old fashioned 3x5...too bad it's getting impossible to get today's players to sign them...and I can't justify paying some of today's hall of farmers to sign them either...hard to collect autographs these days...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:51 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

When I'm buying, I prefer checks. In person, I like 3x5 cards signed with a Pilot Precise V5 rolling ball pen, because it allows me to see the flow of the lines in the signature. (I like signatures for their own sake.)
Old 09-16-2012, 09:08 PM

I like album pages because they were almost always signed AT the ballpark and as such the chances of an album page with a secretarial or "clubhouse" autograph are very small because the person almost always handed the album directly to the person to be signed.

3X5 cards usually have nicer quality signatures because the player was almost always sitting down when signing them because they were sent through the mail so in general, nicer quality.

I dont like Bank Checks because there is just too much going on.

GOVT postcards are the way to go for me because they not only carry the signature but to me they tell a story too because of the date and postmark, they are usually nice quality (see above) but also have more history than just a signature to me. BUT you have to be wary of the secretarial/clubhouse issue.

I am a sucker for multi-signed albums so I have a soft spot for those so I vote, ALBUM PAGES.

Rhys
Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Mike Navarro

I prefer signed rookie trading cards. To me, it's the perfect combination of two wonderful hobbies,
Old 09-16-2012, 09:47 PM
qualitycards

I always like signed cancelled checks
Here's a 2 Hall Of Famers (Bill Terry & Warren Giles) on a check.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I have a baseball encyclopedia signed by more than 220 players over their entry.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:16 AM

Default Favorite autograph medium

I probably enjoy vintage GPC's and 3 x 5's signed in fountain pen the most.
You really can't beat them for aesthetic beauty, plus as one poster already mentioned, being able to tie the sig to a specific date is an added bonus.

I also collect signed vintage RPPC's, checks, cuts, letters, bats, balls and other types of signed flats of no-hit pitchers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walter Johnson signed 3 x 5- 1929.jpg (76.1 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Walter Johnson signed 3 x 5-1929 -Back.jpg (70.4 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Bobo Holloman 1953 signed postcard.jpg (75.5 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Bobo Holloman 1953 signed postcard- back.jpg (72.6 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg Satchell Paige 1940's signed luggage tag.jpg (71.6 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg Item_14087_1.jpg (33.5 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-17-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:12 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

I like album pages, index cards, vintage signatures on baseball cards, but my favorite is GPC's. Here's a nice Hooper:

Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Not sure if I have a favorite or not. For me it depends on how I'm going to mat it or where I'm going to put it. For example, if it's for a team project, especially one that is 1950 or later, I try to get as many signed baseball cards as possible. When I can't find a card, a 3x5, AP or cut will do but I try to make sure I have a balance within the matted project. For my 1934 Cardinals project, I found a nice signed check of Paul Dean, so to balance it out I looked for a check of one of the other players and found a nice Jesse Haines check. I also love to get HOF'ers in my 1980's Hall of Fame book, but that of course is limited to living players (unless I sell it to CC and then all bets are off). Last but not least, I love to find or get autographs on sports magazines. There's just something about them that looks really great, and of course, they display really well too.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
I like album pages because they were almost always signed AT the ballpark and as such the chances of an album page with a secretarial or "clubhouse" autograph are very small because the person almost always handed the album directly to the person to be signed.

3X5 cards usually have nicer quality signatures because the player was almost always sitting down when signing them because they were sent through the mail so in general, nicer quality.

I dont like Bank Checks because there is just too much going on.

GOVT postcards are the way to go for me because they not only carry the signature but to me they tell a story too because of the date and postmark, they are usually nice quality (see above) but also have more history than just a signature to me. BUT you have to be wary of the secretarial/clubhouse issue.

I am a sucker for multi-signed albums so I have a soft spot for those so I vote, ALBUM PAGES.

Rhys
Ditto what Rhys said. But let me add that for me, just about any medium is acceptable for any item on my vintge want list. I even have a "leather cut" taken from a signed baseball. Evidently the ball had previously been displayed as such, that there were numerous holes and marks. Seller decided to "unstitch" the ball, and sell selected leather cuts from the four panels and sweetspot. Odd, but effective. And it filled one of my needs for a rarely encountered autograph. (Just don't tell Topps, otherwise they will start chopping up baseballs too).

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 09-17-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Signed rookies
Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Exhibit cards are my favorite but I also like vintage-signed cards, esp. postally-used PCs.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-17-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
Yes I do.. I like to include pictures above the 3x5's and double mat around the picture and the index card. What's the deal with no sharpies? I like Sharpies for the newer autographs because you can read them from further away.
Matt,

I am not a fan of the sharpies for a couple reasons.

1) They seem to change color at times vs ball point/fountain pen. I do realize it depends on how you take care of them

2) I feel like I can see the signature better with a ballpoint/fountain pen. The flow, the thiness etc.

Do these points make sense? Plus, I really only collect old/vintage autos so if a sig of say.. maris or mantle existed in a sharpie, that would also entail it was a newer sig.
You collect newer sigs and enjoy the sharpie so to each their own! Hence the thread..we all enjoy different things which is cool!

Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Matt,

I am not a fan of the sharpies for a couple reasons.

1) They seem to change color at times vs ball point/fountain pen. I do realize it depends on how you take care of them

2) I feel like I can see the signature better with a ballpoint/fountain pen. The flow, the thiness etc.

Do these points make sense? Plus, I really only collect old/vintage autos so if a sig of say.. maris or mantle existed in a sharpie, that would also entail it was a newer sig.
You collect newer sigs and enjoy the sharpie so to each their own! Hence the thread..we all enjoy different things which is cool!
Yep! Makes perfect sense.. I hate the black magic marker they used in the 80's that would yellow around the signature after time.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 PM

Default Love signed vintage baseball cards and HOF RC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
I prefer signed rookie trading cards. To me, it's the perfect combination of two wonderful hobbies,
I'm with you Mike, I love collecting autographed baseball cards from all the 50's sets, as well as HOF rookie cards signed. I have a near complete 1958 Topps set needing about 65 cards.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:09 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Amazing collection, Ben. Did Willie sign that "Form, Willie Mays"? Funny.

I prefer whatever the signature looks best on. I'd love a Ruth on a single signed ball but I'd take Jimmy's Gehrig signed postcard over it any day of the week. I like Ty Cobb on letters, as he wrote a bunch of them. Later era players (50-60's) I like on their best looking card, i.e.: Koufax on '63 Topps, BRobby & Drysdale on their '57 RCs, Ted Williams on '54 Topps, Mantle on '54 Bowman...

But for the one player I collect the most (Killebrew), I have no preference at all.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Jeff

Depends on the era of the player, up through the 60's probably 3x5s, GPCs, Checks and cards.

Modern day players, cards/programs.

I also like to take small cuts (which are generally cheap) and make custom cards.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 09-19-2012 at 03:56 PM.