NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-20-2012, 06:57 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Default OT Question about getting the President in person

Hey All,

President Obama is going to be in Milwaukee this weekend for a grassroots fundraiser. I am going to go, and I really, really, really want to get his signature, from hand, not auto pen. Does anyone have any experience getting autographs from political figures in person that they can give me some advice on?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

It's always easier after they retire, so hopefully after November you will have a better chance.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Jim Murphy

go early and get a spot near the place where he is coming out of the staging area. He won't sign before the speeach but might afterwards. Do NOT take your own pen as the SS will take it away from you.

as he comes near ask, "Mr President would you be so kind"

only problem with waiting till after the election is you will have to wait for a book tour or go to Hawaii
Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
It's always easier after they retire, so hopefully after November you will have a better chance.
I'm guessing discussing political affiliation is not forbidden on the board
Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
go early and get a spot near the place where he is coming out of the staging area. He won't sign before the speeach but might afterwards. Do NOT take your own pen as the SS will take it away from you.

as he comes near ask, "Mr President would you be so kind"

only problem with waiting till after the election is you will have to wait for a book tour or go to Hawaii
Any good thoughts on medium for a signature? I am thinking a note card is good, but wanted any extra thoughts. Thanks
Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'd get one of the Topps cards from 2008 and try to get it signed. Heritage did one that looks like a 1971 Topps baseball card, which would be my choice. Don't get your hopes up, though. I tried to get a political autograph once at a presidential rally and I didn't get within 100 yards of the candidate. The campaign itself has also issued some nice postcard-sized portraits.

As for the political commentary, spare us the gratuitous right wing spew--the vast majority of us are here to talk sports and collecting, not politics. There is enough of that crap outside the hobby.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-20-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

It was a legitimate answer, regardless of your left wing political spew. Unless you are right in front of the stage area, forget about it. Went to see Clinton once. Went early but still didn't get within a hundred yards of him. The area up front is usually reserved for people with better connections as the passes were coordinated for certain areas.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
Very true. I attended a small event with Bill Clinton a few months ago. As the speech ended, I approached the front with an 8x10 and a Sharpie, as Clinton shook a few hands. One Secret Service agent came up to me and told me to put my pen away. As I turned to question him, another agent walked over to me and took the picture and asked me my name. I told him, and once Clinton finished shaking a few hands, the agent turned to Clinton and handed him my picture and repeated my name.

Moments later, the SS agent returned to me and handed me back my signed 8x10 shown below!

Best of luck, but as others said, don't get your hopes too high, as the security makes it extremely difficult.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clinton.jpg (64.5 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by scooter729; 09-20-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
It was a legitimate answer, regardless of your left wing political spew. Unless you are right in front of the stage area, forget about it. Went to see Clinton once. Went early but still didn't get within a hundred yards of him. The area up front is usually reserved for people with better connections as the passes were coordinated for certain areas.
I thought it was funny lol
Old 09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Very true. I attended a small event with Bill Clinton a few months ago. As the speech ended, I approached the front with an 8x10 and a Sharpie, as Clinton shook a few hands. One Secret Service agent came up to me and told me to put my pen away. As I turned to question him, another agent walked over to me and took the picture and asked me my name. I told him, and once Clinton finished shaking a few hands, the agent turned to Clinton and handed him my picture and repeated my name.

Moments later, the SS agent returned to me and handed me back my signed 8x10 shown below!

Best of luck, but as others said, don't get your hopes too high, as the security makes it extremely difficult.
That's awesome! Neat story, hopefully you can fill out the rest, that would be unreal.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I'd get one of the Topps cards from 2008 and try to get it signed. Heritage did one that looks like a 1971 Topps baseball card, which would be my choice. Don't get your hopes up, though. I tried to get a political autograph once at a presidential rally and I didn't get within 100 yards of the candidate. The campaign itself has also issued some nice postcard-sized portraits.

As for the political commentary, spare us the gratuitous right wing spew--the vast majority of us are here to talk sports and collecting, not politics. There is enough of that crap outside the hobby.
That would be good, but dont have the time to get a card like that unless I bought something and got it over nighted.

My hopes aren't high, I just see the dude signing at his rallies all the time, so I think its a decent shot if I am more aggressive than other people in getting to the front
Old 09-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post

How big was that Clinton event? Seems crazy that an SS would just tell him to sign (though I am guessing he asked politely) Great story!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:16 PM

There always seems to be a flood of signed stuff along the campaign trail so I think you at least have a shot. That's better than nothing. If I were you I wouldn't take a baseball with me. Most of the Obama signatures are with a black sharpie and it looks terrible on a baseball.

I have a signed copy of his book Audacity of Hope. I bet you could pick up one of his books just about anywhere.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
There always seems to be a flood of signed stuff along the campaign trail so I think you at least have a shot. That's better than nothing. If I were you I wouldn't take a baseball with me. Most of the Obama signatures are with a black sharpie and it looks terrible on a baseball.

I have a signed copy of his book Audacity of Hope. I bet you could pick up one of his books just about anywhere.
My fiance has one and we were planning on bringing it. If the oppurtunity comes up, I would like to get another item signed, but the book is option 1
Old 09-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Thought I would give an update on this. Obama had a rally today so I brought a stock photo from the White House website. After the speech, I got up to the front and carefully took out the photo. Secret Service immediately yelled at me to put it away, which they then did to other people with books and stuff, so no chance of getting it. Sad day.

But on a positive note, my fiancé shook his hand and is now the happiest person on Earth. So a win for the day
Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

nice! i was checking back for an update. bummer on the autograph though.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 AM
J@RR0D

Cool story, bummer on the auto. I tried to get Al Gore in '96 and the closest I got was shaking Tipper's hand.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 AM

I am not conservative and chuckled at the initial political comment. I took it on its humor level.

Last edited by drc; 09-25-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
Cool story, bummer on the auto. I tried to get Al Gore in '96 and the closest I got was shaking Tipper's hand.

not too shabby
Old 09-26-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
Any good thoughts on medium for a signature? I am thinking a note card is good, but wanted any extra thoughts. Thanks
I would think a baseball or one of his Topps cards would be interesting.

Edit: No success... I'm sorry :/

Last edited by Sean1125; 09-26-2012 at 05:09 AM.