NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Default Collector Safe Screwdown Holders

Posted By: mike wrenn

I recently was looking through my collection of prewar and post war cards 1880's-1950's they total around 300
hundred. After a closer look, I looked at some of my cards
from the side. To my amazement I noticed that my 1911 t205 gold golder Zack Wheat card was wavey. Upon inspection of all of my cards I have about 100 cards
that are wavey. Some mildly and many really bad. I inspected the holder with the card in it and noticed
that there is alot of pressure at the top and bottom of the card. Also there is a small space along both sides of the holder. I believe that the pressure from the screws
put too much pressure on the top and bottom of the card
and alows too much air into the side of the holder and causes the cards to warp or become wavey. My cards are stored in wall showcases which allow pleanty of air into the showcase. These cards have been in these holder for about 2 years. I don't want to alarm anybody regarding these holders. I would appreciate any feedback regarding
this interesting affect that these holder's had on my cards. I really noticed bad waveyness on cards that have thinner stock, Although I did have about 5o cards that
also experienced waveyness on thicker stock.
The collector's safe holder's are in the blue and yellow plastic bags 3"x5" Stackable, Flat card era, fit's 52 to present, item sdf-35 Made in china

Old 08-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: samuel

you have to be careful not to make it too tight. I usually put all the screws in at the same time and give them equal turns until the top piece is firmly in place.

edit: you might also have a problem with moisture.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Anderson

Mike - are these recessed screwdowns, or flat sided? Are the cards in the holder raw or sleeved first? If they are flat sided and unsleeved, I strongly encourage you to ONLY use these with a sleeve. I can't tell you the number of cards we've seen damaged by screwdowns without penny sleeves. I've seen a Wayne Gretzky RC, Michael Jordan RC, 1953 Topps Mantle, and other high end cards peel apart or otherwise become damaged when opening the holders. In fact, we at BVG/BGS will not even accept submissions in them - we require customers to take them out first.

I haven't noticed the waviness issue to be a widespread problem, but yes, tightening the screws to much can cause the middle of the card to lift slightly in some cases, and can also put so much pressure by the screws that any gloss is removed from the corners.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Jordan, Gretzky... Shiny crap

Seriously, this is scary stuff. I'll have to get off my fat butt and check this out.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I stopped using those types of holders years ago after a few of my cards ended up with hairline creases from the uneven pressure.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 08-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I used to use those on any of my more expensive raw cards and I didn't have any trouble. I used to do like the post above and tighten the screws as evenly as possible and I tried not to tighten them down any more than it took to hold the card in place.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mike wrenn

Thanks to all who responded,especially Gehrigfan. The holders are flat not recessed, and they where placed in raw. The cards where placed in a showcase frame with plenty of ventalation and hung on the wall. The room that I have my collection in has very little heat and no air condition, has a ceiling fan which usually keeps the room confortable. I don't believe it is a moisture, But I appreciate the input on that. To Gehrig fan, have you ever seen cards that are wavey, and are these card totally ruined or can they be flattened out naturally or by placing something heavy on top of a raw card.
I would appreciate any input on my dilema.
My collection of player solely focus on Brooklyn
player's from 1880's to the 1950's. The condition
of my 100 cards conservativly are 5's and up.
If there ruined I'm out only a few grand that
I paid over the past 15 years. Market value about $15,000. Is there any way to salvage these cards.
Thanks to all who respond

Old 08-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Anderson

I'm not sure on the best method to flatten them back out, but my guess is that someone like like Kevin Saucier might have some ideas???

Old 08-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...in about 10 years because of this problem. If you insist on screwdowns -- and I don't know why one would -- you have to use the recessed ones with a penny sleeve.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!