NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Default Question for Type 1 experts

Every once in awhile I pick up a movie still from Pride of the Yankees. I've noticed over time that some will show a copyright date of 1942 and some will show 1949. I know the movie was released in 42, so that's cool, and I also know it was re-release in 49, so I assume the 49 copyright would be considered a type 2. With that said, I just recently came across a few that had 1943 copyrights on them. Now, I know the movie was probably still playing in theaters (I think) and I know for sure that it was up for several academy awards in March of 43 (maybe they printed up more for the awards push?), so would those 43 copyright photos still be considered Type 1's? I believe they would, but wanted to ask the experts just in case.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:08 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

First of all, I say original not type 1. But if the images are sharp and clear, they should be original by PSA's standards, but perhaps not Hollywood photograph collector standards. I don't know the particulars of the movie or photos, so don't know how they were issued, but PSA has a a two year window.

I would assume the movie studio used the same original negatives to make the photos, and perhaps even to make the later re-issues.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:12 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Every once in awhile I pick up a movie still from Pride of the Yankees. I've noticed over time that some will show a copyright date of 1942 and some will show 1949. I know the movie was released in 42, so that's cool, and I also know it was re-release in 49, so I assume the 49 copyright would be considered a type 2. With that said, I just recently came across a few that had 1943 copyrights on them. Now, I know the movie was probably still playing in theaters (I think) and I know for sure that it was up for several academy awards in March of 43 (maybe they printed up more for the awards push?), so would those 43 copyright photos still be considered Type 1's? I believe they would, but wanted to ask the experts just in case.
If off original negative rather than a dupe negative in 1943, yes.. type 1.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 05-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

I'm curious what the experts think about this one. Original? Type I, Type II ?

babe ruth-1200.jpg
Old 05-20-2018, 11:21 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Can you post an image of the reverse?
Old 05-20-2018, 03:40 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Can you post an image of the reverse?
The reverse would indicate the photo was printed in the 90's. You got me.

A polaroid copy camera was used to make a 4 x 5 negative of the original photo with the autograph. The image I posted is a first generation photo from that negative. So it went from a 1934 original 7 x 9 photo to a 4 x 5 negative back to a photo.

My dad ran the advertising photo department at a newspaper. He was able to make 4 x 5 negatives from some rare photos we had. The negatives created high quality second generation photos. Just another reason why you can't always rely on just a scan to determine the age of a photo.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:19 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post

A polaroid copy camera was used to make a 4 x 5 negative of the original photo with the autograph. The image I posted is a first generation photo from that negative. So it went from a 1934 original 7 x 9 photo to a 4 x 5 negative back to a photo.

My dad ran the advertising photo department at a newspaper. He was able to make 4 x 5 negatives from some rare photos we had. The negatives created high quality second generation photos. Just another reason why you can't always rely on just a scan to determine the age of a photo.
Digital scans of old photos can be very clear, so your point is well taken. The clarity of the image is only part-- but is part-- of determining if a photo is original.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:

There is no gotcha here from my perspective. It could not be original or 'type I' under any conditions. There is a signature in the image therefore it could not fit the standards. Unless, of course, Babe Ruth's signature was floating in the air in front of him while the photo was taken.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 05-24-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:06 AM

facsimile signatures could be placed over a negative when a photo was developed making it a Type 1 photo with a facsimile signature. This was more common when acetate negatives took over and there are many team issued where this technology was used.

There is a debate in photography as to whether a digital photograph can ever be a "Type 1". On the one hand, it is as clear as anything done back in the day but on the other hand there is a deconstruction of the photograph done by the computer or camera and then a reconstruction of the image when it is printed (similar to a wire photo from years past but obviously much better quality). There will never be definitive answer but the debate is fun.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:35 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
There is no gotcha here from my perspective. It could not be original or 'type I' under any conditions. There is a signature in the image therefore it could not fit the standards. Unless, of course, Babe Ruth's signature was floating in the air in front of him while the photo was taken.
Type I - A 1st generation photograph, developed from the original negative, during the period (within approximately two years of when the picture was taken).

I don't understand why a photo can't be a type I just because it has a signature. Photo is taken and developed in 1934. Photo is then brought to Babe Ruth the very next day while the Yankees are still in town, and he signs it - which is in fact what happened. The actual, original photo I owned with the original signature was all from 1934.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:57 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Digital photos can be original, though they are not 'real photo' in the technical sense that they are not made the traditional 'photochemicals & sunlight' way.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:20 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Type I - A 1st generation photograph, developed from the original negative, during the period (within approximately two years of when the picture was taken).

I don't understand why a photo can't be a type I just because it has a signature. Photo is taken and developed in 1934. Photo is then brought to Babe Ruth the very next day while the Yankees are still in town, and he signs it - which is in fact what happened. The actual, original photo I owned with the original signature was all from 1934.

I was going on the assumption that the signature was part of the photo not on the photo. Of course, an original photo with a signature on it would be an original photo.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”