NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Josh Margolin

Default Considering Selling Off My Autos

Hey everyone. I've been toying with the idea for a while now, and I am thinking about selling off the large majority of my autos and going to the card side completely. All of the forgeries and my inability to become an expert has left me somewhat disillusioned. Has anyone here ever done this? Can you recommend an auction house that might come to me to get everything as I don't want to even think about shipping all of this stuff or doing this piecemeal. Not sure yet what I want to do, but your thoughts would be appreciated.

Want List: T227 Baker Amen!
Old 04-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I think Heritage has an NYC office, Lelands is on L.I., and REA is in NJ, so you could start there. If there is enough value they will come to you.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-26-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Banned

they will come to you if you have nice enough autographs. goldin auctions in on this site and they could help you too.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Don't forget about the B/S/T section....most trusted individuals here can send payment via Paypal Gift and you get around all of the 18-20% fees you would pay with the big auction houses.

Thre are plenty of high rollers here ready to spend money on good autographs.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 04-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Josh Margolin

Thanks guys. All good suggestions. I think I have a number of nice pieces (feel free to browse in my flickr album), but I don't think I want to piecemeal stuff out if I decide to go this way. I'm certainly not sure I want to sell anything and may just stick with what I have (and probably keep adding if that's the case). I don't believe I've been burned, but I have been thinking about this for some time and appreciate your input.

Last edited by margoaepi; 04-26-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:47 PM
qu@n nguy3n

if you go big auction house route, they'll probably single lots your nicer pieces (signed tobacco, young, greenberg, lajoie...) but group the smaller lots anyways.

were there alot of interest when you made the t205 walsh/t206 marquard available? probably best bet to big auction house them to get most eyes on them, that's why they charge 20%. if you list them on the board expect alot of back n forth and tire-kickers etc.

another suggestion would be consigning them to richard/jim for their client list but that will also require some work hammering out prices for each piece.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Sent you an email Josh, I got dibs on two that you know I want
Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Those Christy Walsh releases are great. I picked up a Jim Jeffries and a Victor McLaglen when they were being sold off.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Don't forget about the B/S/T section....most trusted individuals here can send payment via Paypal Gift and you get around all of the 18-20% fees you would pay with the big auction houses.

Thre are plenty of high rollers here ready to spend money on good autographs.
The best idea so far. Give the people here a chance and safe yourself 20 percent. Trust me if Jim and Richard see a good deal they will pounce on it.

Jim I left the door open go for it.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
The best idea so far. Give the people here a chance and safe yourself 20 percent. Trust me if Jim and Richard see a good deal they will pounce on it.

Jim I left the door open go for it.
+!, especially if you have just the 50 listed on your site..I'm sure you would sell fast.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-26-2013, 04:51 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I assume i'm not the only one that has already messaged you about a couple items...
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 04-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Ken Goldin

Feel free to contact me at ken@goldinauctions.com
We have low fees, as well as a low buyers premium, and as the using goes "go with the hot hand"....right now we are getting the best prices, and we will come to you, and if you are reasonably local, it will be the owner coming to you ....I liked what I saw in your gallery
Thanks and good luck
Ken
Old 04-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
. . . send payment via Paypal Gift and you get around all of the 18-20% fees you would pay with the big auction houses.
Last time I used the Paypal Gift option to send to a monetary "gift" to a fellow OC member, I got dinged for the 17.5% fee. If I recall correctly, I was presented with the option of paying the fee, or having it deducted from the "gifted" amount.

Has anyone used it within the past month that could chime in as to whether they had to pay a fee for sending a cash gift via Paypal, and if not, what was the monetary size of the gift ?

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 04-26-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post
Last time I used the Paypal Gift option to send to a monetary "gift" to a fellow OC member, I got dinged for the 17.5% fee. If I recall correctly, I was presented with the option of paying the fee, or having it deducted from the "gifted" amount.

Has anyone used it within the past month that could chime in as to whether they had to pay a fee for sending a cash gift via Paypal, and if not, what was the monetary size of the gift ?
Not if you use your bank account. If you use a debit or credit card, you get the fee.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 PM

Default JimStinson

Just pm me or e-mail me what you want for the autographs and I'll pay it.....Can't possibly be easier than that ...unless you live within driving distance (I am in Utah) to one of the other interested parties , if so sell to them
Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Just pm me or e-mail me what you want for the autographs and I'll pay it.....Can't possibly be easier than that ...unless you live within driving distance (I am in Utah) to one of the other interested parties , if so sell to them

Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Old 04-26-2013, 07:50 PM

Default JimStinson

I am serious................
Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Ken Goldin

Lot 340 April 5th goldin auctions

Honus Wagner signed check sells for $3700

Enough said
Goodnight!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Josh Margolin

Thanks for all the responses. Let me address a few different issues:

1 - For everyone who sent me PMs/Emails about individual items, thank you for your interest. I am not looking to sell item by item, but if I change my mind, I will surely let you know and will do my best to try to keep track of what everyone wants. Niederman, I know what you are lusting after!

2 - To the auction house reps that emailed me, thank you. I appreciate the emails and I will be in touch if I decide to sell. I will obviously be looking for the lowest seller's fee and the highest circulation.

3 - To Jim, I am not really a salesman and have not sat down and worked out prices for each item, nor do I intend to. That is part of the reason I am looking to go the auction house route (along with getting as many eyes on the collection as possible). If you, or anyone else wants to shoot me an email with a ballpark for a total buyout, I'm certainly game.

4 - To those who sent me emails urging me not to sell out, thanks. I appreciate the encouragement, and I may just decide to put things away for a while rather than sell off. I got a stern talking to from my wife this evening along those lines, so that may rule the day. Regardless, its good to know what my options are, and that was the whole point of the thread.

Thanks to all, and to all a good night.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Not if you use your bank account. If you use a debit or credit card, you get the fee.
Greg, my thanks. That explains the solution I was seeking. I will not make that mistake again.

Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 AM
Josh Margolin

Just to update this old thread, I've consigned the better part of my autograph and card collection with Love Of The Game Auctions -- including signed T206 (Wheat, Marquard) and T205 (Walsh) cards, two Cobb autographs, and a signed letter from Hugh Jennings to Hugh Duffy. Happy bidding folks!