NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Default Tom Brady Rookie Card

First time posting on this side, but can a member clarify what Brady's TRUE rookie card is please and what would it cost me to obtain one?

Greg
Old 09-05-2015, 06:52 PM
je.sse @rnot

One of the reasons I prefer vintage cards. Tom Brady probably has 100 or more cards that can be considered RCs, any from the year 2000. Prices could range from 5-10 bucks to $10k+

This one would be the one to own though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-TOM-BRA...item23535f2b35
Old 09-05-2015, 07:06 PM
John

From what I see on the PSA registry, they went with this: 2000 SP AUTHENTIC TOM BRADY
Old 09-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
From what I see on the PSA registry, they went with this: 2000 SP AUTHENTIC TOM BRADY

Yep, its this one that's considered his "true " rookie. Agree with another poster, the modern stuff starts to get really frustrating, I think Peyton Manning has like 250 cards issued his rookie year, whereas Steve Largent has one and only one true rookie. (for reference of course)

Old 09-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Scott Gerace

Default Brady's RC

Hi Greg,
The 2000 SP is his best rookie card and usually runs about $1,200 for an 8 and about $1,750 for a 9. However, it is not a very attractive card.

I personally prefer the 2000 Bowman Chrome or Bowman Chrome refractor. The regular Bowman Chrome is about $90 in a PSA 8 and $150 in a PSA 9. The refractor is probably about $600 in a PSA 8 and $850 in a PSA 9.

If you don't care for Chrome cards, you could go with the 2000 Bowman regular issue at about $50 in a PSA 8 and $85 in a PSA 9.

These are Brady's best RC's. Like I said, the best RC is the SP but I prefer the "looks" of the Bowman/Bowman Chrome more. You can have a better looking card and save some dough in the process.

Hope this helps.
Scott

Last edited by S_GERACE; 09-06-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Scott Gerace

Default 2000 Bowman Brady

Here is a scan of the 2000 Bowman Brady.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan.jpg (77.8 KB, 304 views)
Old 09-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Thanks all, wouldn't mind going for an SP from UD but the ones on eBay are crazy priced. Anyone know where I can buy one "reasonable"??
Old 09-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Phil Garry

Isn't the Auto Playoff Contenders a very popular one as well. Maybe not classified as a true rookie because of the auto and I guess it was an insert-type card, correct?
Old 09-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Scott Gerace

I personally wouldn't include it because of the auto/insert aspect but yes, it is a popular card. It's all a matter of personal preference. The Bowman Chrome refractor is also an insert card but to me it it's not a chase card like the Playoff Contender.

To give you an example using vintage cards, Otto Graham's RC is listed as the 1950 Bowman on the PSA registry but if someone were to approach me with a 1946 Sears card I wouldn't dismiss them if they called it his rookie card. The argument against the 1950 Bowman is that there was actually another card issued prior to it. The argument against the 1946 Sears is that it was not nationally distributed. I feel that both sides have valid points. Again, to me it is a matter of preference.

It seems like only football cards issued from 1951 through 1988 have rookie cards that are pretty clear cut, with the exception of the 1955 Topps All-Americans & 1961 Topps/Fleer. You can't call something a rookie card 10 years after he retired (Hutson). Again, it's personal preference.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:18 AM

The Contenders is numbered as part of the base set and is considered a true rookie card.

I've never understood the allure of the SPA. Much like most of Rodgers' RC's, I dislike the red practice jerseys.

I agree about the Bowman Chrome. Classic product, NFL uniform, great design.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Wait a weak, the whim will pass.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Isn't the Auto Playoff Contenders a very popular one as well. Maybe not classified as a true rookie because of the auto and I guess it was an insert-type card, correct?
The Playoff Contenders is a true rookie card, not an insert/parallel. Here are Brady's true rookie cards I would recommend, after these three there is quite a bit of a drop off.

1: Playoff Contenders
2: SP Authentic
3: SPx
Old 01-20-2018, 12:40 PM

bumping because I noticed a lot of Tom Brady rookie cards have doubled and even tripled in price since this thread started. Looks like they could go even higher the next few weeks.
So the two best holy grails now for football seem to be Tom Brady and Joe Namath rookie cards.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:40 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR View Post
So the two best holy grails now for football seem to be Tom Brady and Joe Namath rookie cards.
I am not sure I agree with this statement. Joe Namath RC, sure, but Brady? The big problem here is that Brady has quite a few rookies, such as the SP Authentic, Playoff Contenders, Bowman Chrome, etc. So which one is the holy grail here?

Also, would you take a Brady RC over the 1935 National Chicle Bronko Nagurski? I sure as hell wouldn't!
Old 01-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Яоь

If he loses this time around, I'm positive the prices will cool down. The Eagles know that in order to beat a champion you have to knock him out because there is no way they will win by decision.

Looking for one card for each of the following (SGC only):
e94 Blome's Chocolates
e98 Old Put Cigar
e99 Bishop & Co.
e100 Bishop & Co.
e104 Nadja
e105 Mello-Mint
e107 Breisch Williams

Successful transactions:
aconte, brianp-beme, Luke
Old 01-25-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I am not sure I agree with this statement. Joe Namath RC, sure, but Brady? The big problem here is that Brady has quite a few rookies, such as the SP Authentic, Playoff Contenders, Bowman Chrome, etc. So which one is the holy grail here?

Also, would you take a Brady RC over the 1935 National Chicle Bronko Nagurski? I sure as hell wouldn't!
I should have worded it better I should have said the holy grails of vintage and modern football cards.
Namath the grail of vintage football cards.
Brady the grails of modern football cards.

Also I would in a heartbeat take Brady rookie cards over 1935 National Chicle Bronko Nagurski.
Why? It is so much easier to flip and the Brady card has not peaked yet.
We have to factor in modern collectors. I know of a few modern collectors who much rather have the 86 Jordan rc over the Mickey Mantle rookie for 52 Topps.
I know it's hard to believe, but the modern collectors go by nostalgia just like the vintage collectors do. Jordan was their Mantle just like Brady is their Namath.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauce View Post
If he loses this time around, I'm positive the prices will cool down. The Eagles know that in order to beat a champion you have to knock him out because there is no way they will win by decision.
Brady beat Russell Wilson and Peyton Manning in the Superbowl. This Philly team might be their easiest match yet with Brady going against a backup quarterback.

Last edited by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR; 01-25-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:40 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Brady never faced Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl. It's impossible - they both spent their whole careers in the AFC.

He did beat Kurt Warner, Donovan McNabb, Jake Delhomme, Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan.... and lost to Eli Manning.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:52 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
and lost to Eli Manning.
Twice
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-26-2018, 09:50 AM
Яоь

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Twice
Dilly dilly!

e94 Blome's Chocolates
e98 Old Put Cigar
e99 Bishop & Co.
e100 Bishop & Co.
e104 Nadja
e105 Mello-Mint
e107 Breisch Williams

Successful transactions:
Old 01-26-2018, 12:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Not grails by any means, but I like them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bradymetal.jpg (78.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg bradyspx.jpg (78.4 KB, 66 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:01 PM
Яоь

So many to choose from....

e94 Blome's Chocolates
e98 Old Put Cigar
e99 Bishop & Co.
e100 Bishop & Co.
e104 Nadja
e105 Mello-Mint
e107 Breisch Williams

Successful transactions:
Old 01-26-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
Brady never faced Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl. It's impossible - they both spent their whole careers in the AFC.

He did beat Kurt Warner, Donovan McNabb, Jake Delhomme, Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan.... and lost to Eli Manning.
Correct I was thinking of AFC Championship with Manning.
The main point is the Tom Brady rookie cards will continue to go up significantly if the Patriots win the SB next week and win another next year.
The Tom Brady rookie cards are the modern holy grails of football.
One went for over 92k on Ebay about a week ago. That is amazing for a card that came out in 2000.

Last edited by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR; 01-26-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Яоь

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Not grails by any means, but I like them.
The Metal card is very easy to chip. So it can be somewhat almost as delicate as a vintage card.

e94 Blome's Chocolates
e98 Old Put Cigar
e99 Bishop & Co.
e100 Bishop & Co.
e104 Nadja
e105 Mello-Mint
e107 Breisch Williams

Successful transactions:
Old 01-26-2018, 03:38 PM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post

If only I had rolled my life savings into the 2000 Playoff Contenders Brady RC 10 years ago! The PSA 10’s look like they will breach $100k with a Super Bowl victory.