NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2017, 12:36 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default OT: Mcgregor VS Mayweather

Now that it's finally confirmed..for those who care..who do you think will win the fight?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:39 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

If both get over 150-300 million they both won the fight. Id like to see a fight for $500 bucks, to me thats a real fight and there is only 1 winner

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 06-15-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Dave

If it's a boxing match as I have seen, it's going to be completely one sided, unless Mayweather carries him to make it seem more legitimate then it actually is.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackaJackKid View Post
Now that it's finally confirmed..for those who care..who do you think will win the fight?
Is anyone actually picking McGregor to win?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Dave

Unless there's a killer undercard involved, whoever pays for this will get exactly what they deserve....................to get ripped off.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
His mom...but she might be jiving too.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:56 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

I don't know about getting ripped off. For me, the PPV may be worth it just for the chance McGregor gets mad and kicks Mayweather in the head.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
They would have to be really really really stupid to pick McGregor to win. I actually can't even see him lasting the whole fight for a decision loss.

As someone who has had close to triple digit fights in both sports. I can say there is no way a MMA guy can stand with a pure boxer like Floyd. Even being an old man Floyd is going to embarrass him. It goes the other way also, Conor would embarrass Floyd in an MMA match.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Brian Macdonald

Probably should stay away from being a MMA fighter, after the results of this study have been released

http://www.theonion.com/article/new-...ur-knees-56256
Old 06-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Dustin Bellinger

McGregor has about as much chance of winning as Steph Curry would have at beating Venus Williams in a tennis match or Rob Gronkowski or Odell Beckham beating LeBron James in a game of one-on-one.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:50 PM

I'm bummed Floyd is giving this guy a pay day for no reason. Floyd is going to kill this dude.

I am VERY excited to see Triple G fight Canelo later this year though.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:04 PM
James

My bet is on Money Mayweather all day!!!

https://sportscardalbum.com/u/gemmin...seball#!page=2
Old 06-15-2017, 03:28 PM
David Peck

Definitely going to be buying this PPV.

I self subbed this Mayweather in 2012.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
McGregor has about as much chance of winning as Steph Curry would have at beating Venus Williams in a tennis match or Rob Gronkowski or Odell Beckham beating LeBron James in a game of one-on-one.
+1

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

This whole thing is just ridiculous! We've seen what happened to McGregor when he tried to do a little boxing with Nate Diaz - looked like he was going to suffer a heart attack and was running away from Diaz the whole time. This guy has serious stamina issues. I would have liked to have seen Mayweather step into the ring with Keith Thurman instead.

By the way, this thread should be moved to the Watercooler.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi4442 View Post
I don't know about getting ripped off. For me, the PPV may be worth it just for the chance McGregor gets mad and kicks Mayweather in the head.
One of the attorney's on the board may want to weigh in on this one, however, I suspect there will be language written in the contract that McGregor forfeits or loses his payday if he does a round house kick to FM head.

The same is true if McGregor resorts to ANY MMA tactics. I agree, it would be worth the PPV just to see FM get konked! Not worth it to McGregor to do it though.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 06-15-2017 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling as usual.....
Old 06-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

As someone who used to practice mixed martial.arts, I would prefer to see a boxer in the cage. However, Dana picked the wrong guy to box in the ring. It"s all hype. Nate would have a slightly better shot at an upset but I wouldn't put real momey on it. Sad thing is - it's bad for mma as a sport.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:56 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

McGregor is a tremendous athlete but I don't feel he has any chance here despite his talent. If it goes longer than a few minutes then Mayweather is just putting on a show.

I agree with what Jake wrote!
Old 06-15-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
This whole thing is just ridiculous! We've seen what happened to McGregor when he tried to do a little boxing with Nate Diaz - looked like he was going to suffer a heart attack and was running away from Diaz the whole time. This guy has serious stamina issues. I would have liked to have seen Mayweather step into the ring with Keith Thurman instead.

By the way, this thread should be moved to the Watercooler.
Although, I Certainly do Respect Your Humble Opinion!

Here are some facts to add to the Mcgregor/Diaz Fight Opinion:

Mr. Mcgregor was 5'9" - 74 inch reach
And he agreed to fight at a weight 25 lbs above his Normal Fighting weight of 145 lbs(Fight was at 170 lbs)
Most Fight Guru's say he went to bed that night at about 160-166 lbs

Mr. Diaz was 6'0" - 76 inch reach
He made weight and went to bed that night at 183 lbs
This is his Normal Weight Class

Mr. Diaz was a good 20 lbs heavier
Had a 2 inch reach advantage
And was 3 inches Taller

Mr. Mcgregor fought with about 15 extra lbs
From his Normal Fighting Weight Class
Old 06-15-2017, 05:37 PM

Default No winner!!

There will be no winner! First round they dance and touch gloves occasionally. Second round they both throw a few punches, working up a light sweat. Late in the second round THE BIG SHOW runs to the ring, steps over the top rope and chases Floyd in and out and all around the ring. THE BIG SHOW is still pissed from the time Floyd knocked him out on Monday Night Raw. But wait! Here comes the Diaz brothers! They are beating the daylights out of Conor McGregor. Don King is singing God Bless America over the PA. Order is restored when a dozen sickly looking 135 pound men in black and white referee shirts come running in to separate the combatants. Hell, I ain't even finished my second six pack yet!
Dana White issues a press release that night with details of the upcoming second fight! He assures the world that this will be the first time in history that PAY-PER-VIEW will be sold out! Count me in, again!
Old 06-15-2017, 05:42 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam majors View Post
There will be no winner! First round they dance and touch gloves occasionally. Second round they both throw a few punches, working up a light sweat. Late in the second round THE BIG SHOW runs to the ring, steps over the top rope and chases Floyd in and out and all around the ring. THE BIG SHOW is still pissed from the time Floyd knocked him out on Monday Night Raw. But wait! Here comes the Diaz brothers! They are beating the daylights out of Conor McGregor. Don King is singing God Bless America over the PA. Order is restored when a dozen sickly looking 135 pound men in black and white referee shirts come running in to separate the combatants. Hell, I ain't even finished my second six pack yet!
Dana White issues a press release that night with details of the upcoming second fight! He assures the world that this will be the first time in history that PAY-PER-VIEW will be sold out! Count me in, again!
That is great. This fight is so silly I could see that happening.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Jason Wells

McGregor's only chance is to just go hard from the opinion bell like it is a MMA match and just overwhelm Floyd. It probably won't happen but a big puncher always has a chance. Hopefully he leaves the other strikes/grapples out of the ring.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:04 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
McGregor's only chance is to just go hard from the opinion bell like it is a MMA match and just overwhelm Floyd. It probably won't happen but a big puncher always has a chance. Hopefully he leaves the other strikes/grapples out of the ring.
I know little about boxing, but I think this would play right in to what FM would want. Its his MO. Play defense, dance around, wear out the other opponent, strike when he sees an opening.

2nd round KO
Old 06-16-2017, 08:34 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
I know little about boxing, but I think this would play right in to what FM would want. Its his MO. Play defense, dance around, wear out the other opponent, strike when he sees an opening.

2nd round KO

True. Mayweather feasts on guys who come right at him. On the other hand Mcgregor sure as hell is not going to outbox him either.

Guy I remember giving him the most trouble way back in 2002 was Jose Luis Castillo, who had a great combination of aggression, power, AND boxing skill.

Only chance Mcgregor really has against even a 40 year-old Floyd is if Mayweather doesn't take this seriously, under-estimates Conor, doesn't train and just comes to the fight cold and expecting to win.........................which is completely not Floyd's M.O..

As flashy as he appears to be, he's similar to Bernard Hopkins in that he's always prepared, always stays on weight, and always, always, always shows up to his fights in shape.

It's possible Floyd's age catches up to him that night, but that's a long shot against this particular opponent.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 AM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
True. Mayweather feasts on guys who come right at him. On the other hand Mcgregor sure as hell is not going to outbox him either.

Guy I remember giving him the most trouble way back in 2002 was Jose Luis Castillo, who had a great combination of aggression, power, AND boxing skill.

Only chance Mcgregor really has against even a 40 year-old Floyd is if Mayweather doesn't take this seriously, under-estimates Conor, doesn't train and just comes to the fight cold and expecting to win.........................which is completely not Floyd's M.O..

As flashy as he appears to be, he's similar to Bernard Hopkins in that he's always prepared, always stays on weight, and always, always, always shows up to his fights in shape.

It's possible Floyd's age catches up to him that night, but that's a long shot against this particular opponent.
+1 Yep thats exactly right. Floyd will be ready as always. I don't know if anyone thinks he "retired," at 49-0 (matching Marciano's record) and wasn't thinking about the next big cashgrab. I think McGregor was the biggest payday he could imagine.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Leon- shouldn't this be on the watercooler?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-16-2017, 09:33 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

If its so obvious that a certain guy will win...why does a fight make so much money..
Old 06-16-2017, 09:41 AM

I felt the same way when Floyd fought Pacman. Did anyone really think Floyd was going to lose?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:50 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
If its so obvious that a certain guy will win...why does a fight make so much money..
Novelty, Showmanship, it will be a carnival.

It's entertainment I guess. Same reason people buy movie tickets and pro wrestling PPV's. People want to see what happens, even if it's pre-ordained.

If anything, the press conferences will be highly entertaining at least.

Boxers have gone into MMA and MMA guys have ventured into boxing before..........but this is the first time two top guys at the height of their powers (though not so much for Mayweather anymore), in these two different combat sports, will step in the ring with each other, and people are curious to see it.

Myself, I don't see the point, but it is, what it is. Might be more interesting if Mayweather were fighting Conor MMA style, but likely that would be just as big of a whitewash in the other direction.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam majors View Post
LOL! I really enjoyed reading this post. They should actually have a ROYAL RUMBLE featuring boxers, wrestlers and UFC fighters. As soon as the bell rings, everyone is going to start beating the crap out of Mayweather. This will go on for 30 minutes and then he will get thrown out of the ring. In the end, we'll see the Undertaker give Iron Mike Tyson the TOMBSTONE and then Tyson will be thrown out of the ring (with Undertaker's ear still in his mouth).

The winner: The Undertaker!
:: creepy music plays :: dong ... dong ...
Old 06-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
You will likely see this, is my guess. Everyone wanted to see a fight like this the last time, but it never happened. Mayweather will have to adjust to an all out onslaught.

His ability to do so will determine who wins.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:07 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
Although, I Certainly do Respect Your Humble Opinion!

Here are some facts to add to the Mcgregor/Diaz Fight Opinion:

Mr. Mcgregor was 5'9" - 74 inch reach
And he agreed to fight at a weight 25 lbs above his Normal Fighting weight of 145 lbs(Fight was at 170 lbs)
Most Fight Guru's say he went to bed that night at about 160-166 lbs

Mr. Diaz was 6'0" - 76 inch reach
He made weight and went to bed that night at 183 lbs
This is his Normal Weight Class

Mr. Diaz was a good 20 lbs heavier
Had a 2 inch reach advantage
And was 3 inches Taller

Mr. Mcgregor fought with about 15 extra lbs
From his Normal Fighting Weight Class
I applaud you for not posting a mixed caps post.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:10 AM
Danny Gr|mes

I'll give Mcgregor 5 rounds tops, and has to get Floyd early. Mayweather although I despise him will run laps around Connor. Pure Gimmick

Last edited by refz; 06-17-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default Have better things to do with my time and money

Hunh, oh, yeah, sorry, I'll take a $50 exacta box in the third at Pimlico, numbers 3,4 and 9. Yeah. Throw in a $200 win on nine. Thanks
...whatever I want
Old 06-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Quote:
Originally Posted by refz View Post
I'll give Mcgregor 5 rounds tops, and has to get Floyd early. Mayweather although I despise him will run laps around Connor. Pure Gimmick
Agree. I am no fan of Mayweather but he is going to hit McGregor at will.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Anyone have a Mayweather RC for sale at a realistic price? The ones on ebay are beyond silly. 10K for a 10 or something like that lol.

As for the fight, it seems an absurd mismatch, one of the very few greatest boxers of all time against a guy who isn't even a boxer. Cmon.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-27-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Onslaught? Puhleeze... Mayweather is one of the best counter punchers and defensive boxers alive. World class boxers who've trained all their lives haven't been able to touch him. He will win every round going away and it will be dullsville

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-28-2017, 06:11 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

If MacGregor gets back up to 10 to 1 I might have to put a few hundred down playing for a lucky punch.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 06-28-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:12 AM

The only luck you're going to get fighting Mayweather is maybe he'll be sick that day and won't be able to fight.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:08 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
The only luck you're going to get fighting Mayweather is maybe he'll be sick that day and won't be able to fight.
You probably would have said the same about Tyson before the Buster Douglas fight. While of course the odds favour Mayweather.... ANYTHING can happen.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:22 AM

Well a big difference that jumps out at me between the Douglas fight and this one is that Douglas was a professional boxer.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Well apparently it doesn't "jump out" for most, as the odds are better in McGregor's favour then they were for Douglas.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Well a big difference that jumps out at me between the Douglas fight and this one is that Douglas was a professional boxer.
And the number one contender at the time, not exactly a fringe professional.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Well apparently it doesn't "jump out" for most, as the odds are better in McGregor's favour then they were for Douglas.

I think most people know that Buster Douglas was a professional boxer and Connor McGregor is not.

Last edited by packs; 06-28-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:31 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
I think most people know that Buster Douglas was a professional boxer and Connor McGregor is not.
My point was that McGregor not being a professional boxer has had little to do with the odds/betting. If that fact was actually paramount to most, the odds would be considerably different.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah... Howevar, Conor iS Irish and Has an 845 Pound Punch,
Evar been hit wit a 10 pound sledge hammer going 20mph?

At 10-1 odds, Honestly ~ If You were ta bet $100?
Would You Take What Most Feel is a Secure $10 wining's
or
Take the Chance at increasing the $100 to a $1000?

Difference between a T, E, M Beater or a Nice PSA 4 HoF'er!?

("If They Actually Come ta FiGHT!?!?")

"Bombs Away!!!"

I'm Absolutely Certain THaT I'm iN the Minority!
Howevar, I'll Take Irishmen iN 4-6 Rounds...

"If the Fix iS iN!?"
Then who knows what kind of Circus this will turn inta!?

I fir one hope that they come ta Truly Bang it out!!!
We'll See Though Aye...
Old 06-28-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
"THeY" ALL Said Almost the Same Ting About "Gentlemen Jim Corbett"
Possible Beating John L Sullivan...

McGregor has been Working & Training... And He's 27
Mr. Floyd hasn't been Punch'd in 2 years... And He's 40+!

I'm older than both of'em,
So I know what it's like ta be a Healthy 27
and an Older 40...

"Just Keepin it Real!?"
Old 06-28-2017, 11:44 AM

Yeah but that's ignoring the fact that literally no one has ever beat Mayweather in his sport. McGrgegor has lost fights in his own sport.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Hope springs eternal for people who love upsets. While anything is possible, it is extremely unrealistic to think an MMA guy is going to beat the man who may be the world's best boxer ever. Even if he is 40. There is not one rational reason you could name that says he has a chance, assuming it isn't fixed and assuming Mayweather trains seriously.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-28-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree. And if the tables were turned and they were in the octagon the same thing would happen, only to Mayweather. That said, stranger things have happened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Hope springs eternal for people who love upsets. While anything is possible, it is extremely unrealistic to think an MMA guy is going to beat the man who may be the world's best boxer ever. Even if he is 40. There is not one rational reason you could name that says he has a chance, assuming it isn't fixed and assuming Mayweather trains seriously.