NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-19-2016, 06:00 PM
Kyle May

Default Funding Collection Ideas

Hey y'all.

So I'm 21, and am looking for ways to fund my collection. Since I'm in a relationship, selling my body (which is a 1/1 by the way) for some extra coin is out of the question; I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate that too much.

So I have come up with 2 options...

- Prospecting: From the research I've done, there are mixed results. Some succeed, some fail, while the split comes from how much time/effort is put in.

- Flipping: All comes down to luck. I would mostly buy relics/autos lots, but I'd have to get lucky with what's in the lot, plus I'm not exactly sure where to buy them from.

Any thoughts? Am I missing any methods? What I'm looking for in this thread is some advice on how to fund a collection through cards, different methods, etc. Also, if anyone is experienced with funding their own collection through cards, would they be willing to network with me so I can pick your brain a bit?

Thank y'all in advance!
Old 07-20-2016, 05:22 AM

I know some guys do great prospecting, but opening new packs/boxes and hoping to flip or hold cards until they increase in value is almost always a bust. Buying prospect autos off Ebay or sites like this can work, but you have to judge when the right time to sell is. Ive held cards too long that I thought were going to go up and ive sold cards too quickly and left money on the table. How I have funded my collecting is flipping cards on ebay. Not necessarily prospects, mostly vintage, but can be done with any higher value cards if you are patient and take a lot of time to research prices and look at newly listed cards on ebay. I have found that auctions are not always the best to buy or sell cards. Over the years I have turned a very small investment of money into a decent collection and almost always only use money from card sales to buy new cards and do not have to invest anymore of my personal money. PM me if you have any questions
Old 07-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Just my opinions...

Prospecting: You'd do better in Vegas.

Flipping:

Do plenty of research: Use BaseballAmerica, ESPN and any source you can find. Buy low and sell high. Make quick work of pitchers especially - try to buy them before their first big exposure, then sell them as soon as a reasonable profit can be made; don't get greedy and miss the window because most all of them get hurt or otherwise recede in value quickly.

Hitters will almost always give you a better chance to turn a profit, but not always...I'm sitting on a bunch of Joey Gallo cards right now...waiting for two things: 1. Beltre to retire and/or 2. Gallo to learn to hit breaking balls.

I also have a bunch of Trout and Harper...which are long-term 'investments'...but it's too late to get anything of them on the cheap.

I am not convinced that any pitcher, even Kershaw, is worth heavy investment. Kershaw is currently on the DL and the other pitcher I have a fair amount of is Strasburg, who, while going great this year, is frequently injured. This may, in fact, be the best time to sell Strasburg.

-I've kinda rambled...hope you can sift a little good out of it.

The last thing I would say is, as in the stock market, diversify...don't depend on just a few players.

-Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-20-2016, 06:38 PM
Curt

If you have the time and patience, I think there are plenty of listings on ebay that provide potential for flipping or breaking down of larger lots to make some money. I don't have either...
Old 07-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Selling unwanted items other than baseball cards on Ebay or Craigslist
Old 07-20-2016, 06:50 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Another option that takes a bit of upfront money would be organizing box/case breaks. You buy a case of cards and people pay for teams or players. You typically can get at least 20% back and it is your customers taking the risk. You just open their packs on live camera and mail out each customers' "winnings".
Old 07-21-2016, 05:35 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Another option that takes a bit of upfront money would be organizing box/case breaks. You buy a case of cards and people pay for teams or players. You typically can get at least 20% back and it is your customers taking the risk. You just open their packs on live camera and mail out each customers' "winnings".
I've thought about that before. It's an interesting idea.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Kyle May

So based on all of these responses and a PM I got, I think I'm going to avoid Prospecting.

The goals for my collection don't necessarily have room for my funds to be tied up into prospecting, and I'm not in a place financially to put up a ton up front for buying/flipping.

I just got my first Monday-Friday 8-5 job, and I really like the freedom that schedule offers, so I'd prefer not to add a second job.

Conclusion: I'm going to develop a savings plan for my collection. Probably a monthly format, with goals/targets for each month. I'll just have to use what I have available.

Thank you very much for the responses.

Go Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Zips!