NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default 1928 Fro Joy, opinions please fellow collectors.

Posted By: dan mckee

I am posting this for the seller, I am in friendly communication with him. Please give me your thoughts on authenticity. He stated he had the paper tested and it is from the 1920s. Dan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5205833153

Old 06-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

Dan..I have a set that I bought about 15 years ago that looks like this. The cards have the same dotted lines around the borders. It's been a couple of years sine I tried last but I have sent the cards to both PSA and SGC but could not get them graded.

Alan

Old 06-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Hi Alan, they won't grade any fro joys now. If you write me directly, I can discuss yours with you. Dan r337man@yahoo.com

Old 06-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am sure it's a fake....the grainy look gives it away...regards

Old 06-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

It's a fake. I own both real & fake Ruth Fro Joy portrait cards, & there is not nearly enough clarity for the card in question.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

A black light is useful for identifying these types of reprints. The Fro Joy reprints I recently looked at fluoresced brightly under a black light.

http://cycleback.com/photoguide/fourteen.htm

My opinion is that collectors should be unusually careful in purchasing Fro Joy Ruths. People shouldn't be purchasing them from anyone off the street. Personally, I would never state that a Fro Joy was genuine without looking at it under the microscope.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure what type of "ink and paper tests" the seller is talking about. However, if he is talking about the standard tets done in a forensic labratory, the lab cost would have been more than his BIN. Further, you have to physically remove portions of the ink and paper from the card to perform the tests.

I know of one instance where such lab tests were legitimately done on a trading card. That was a case of super rare issue where there was subtantial question of the entire issue's legitimacy.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

The age of the printing is what is most important. Paper products from that era are relatively cheap and someone could easily apply printing to blank paper to counterfeit cards and claim the paper is from the era.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Administrator

You are correct Darren.

As it takes about a few moments to authenticate a Froy Joy without the use of callipers and bunson burners and lab goggles and fire exits, one would be misguided to take one of the cards to a forensic chemistry lab anyway.

A rule of the thumb for eBay sellers is that, if the forensic lab costs required for selling your trading card is going to be 3x higher than your sell price, the way to make the most money is to throw the card in the trash.

Old 06-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Administrator

This is a blatant fake and I will not post on the board how to tell immediately but if anyone I know wants to know, just write me. dan.