NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Al

Default Dan,Clint A Little Help On An Oshkosh Book

Dan, Clint or anyone who likes minor league items I need a little help with an item I picked up. Its a Book about 48 pages bound with a cover with string all about the Oshkosh baseball team. Titled Oshkosh in Baseball. This one is from 1913 but covers the team from the 1880s to 1913. Some great pics of alot of the teams of the Oshkosh Indians. Cover is decent for the age but the book inside is in great condition. Wanted to know a value on the item. Thanks Al

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Max Weder

The asking price on this varies all over the place.

It is quite common, as I believe there was a find of these a number of years ago. I have seen high asking prices, but it never sells at those prices.

I have seen it sell for as low as $50 on ebay, although a normal selling price would I think be in the $75 to $100.

It is a very neat item, and should sell for more. However, as I mentioned, there seems to be a large number of these offered, far more than for most books of this vintage. As such, this tempers demand.

Max
Old 09-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Dan Bretta

I've not seen it before, but I'm sure Max is correct as he knows baseball books inside and out. Are there any pics of the 1887 team with Dummy Hoy?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Al

Default book

Max Thankyou for the info. I did pay at the upper end of your range and did figure it to be worth a little more than that. Dan yes there is a nice picture of the 1887 team in there My scan is bad as its hard to scan this book but I believe he is seated lower left on the floor.

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Clint

I've seen a few of these on ebay and there may be a couple on there now. As Dan said, Max is one of the book gurus on here and I would trust his assessment on value. Neat book though and I wish there was one for Wichita or Topeka from that era.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Dan Bretta

Thanks Al! And as Clint said I sure wish there was one of these books for the Lincoln teams.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Max Thankyou for the info. I did pay at the upper end of your range and did figure it to be worth a little more than that.
Al

Even more so than cards, baseball books are a thinly traded market. The additional presence or absence of even one collector can affect the value of an item greatly. This is certainly a great book to have at the high end of the range, or higher.

Now, if some of the rarely seen baseball books would only surface ..

Max
Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Al

Default book

Thanks Max Yes I know what you mean I dont really deal in cards Im a pin collector, I love to see when a hard item comes up or one that hasnt been seen, boy then you know you better have a large WAR CHEST Ready! If you know what I mean! As for books you are right much fewer collectors and it is a thinly traded market but if its the right book then you will see the collectors come out!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 PM

I have bought and sold 4-5 of these books over the years and have never gotten less than $200 for a decent copy. I will pay $100 for as many as you want to send my way. Hype it up as a Dummy Hoy collectible as it has TWO large team photos with Hoy in it and you will get $200 for it eventually. This is at shows and fixed price sales but I buy them from time to time in the $75-$100 range in auctions and double the price and sell every single one. So while it might be worth $100 in an auction, if you are patient and market it well, you can double that easy.

Rhys
Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Al

Default book

Rhys,
Thanks for the info. The copy is in very nice shape and your price is what I thought it might be worth.. Regards Al