NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-26-2017, 03:55 PM

Default 500 hr ball

Hi everyone. Hope you’ve all had a safe holiday. Came across this 500 hr multisigned ball. Condition looks good, almost too good. Would appreciate y’alls thoughts on it!

https://m.ebay.com/itm/500-HR-Club-s...6/292129805529
Old 11-26-2017, 04:47 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I don't mind giving an opinion BUT what are your thoughts ?
Old 11-26-2017, 04:58 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
I don't mind giving an opinion BUT what are your thoughts ?
+1
Old 11-26-2017, 05:23 PM

To me it looks good, but I’m very very new to collecting. I guess my biggest concern is the price point. Seems to be priced low compared to comparable balls on ebay, which worries me (too good to be true?). Comparing the mantle and Williams on this ball to the upper deck autos I have of each I think it looks good.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-26-2017, 06:09 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

You need to know that a 500 HR autographed ball with Mantle and Williams is one of the most commonly forged items out there in the market.
This ball IMO I would not purchase .
Old 11-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Christopher Williams

That ball is 100% authentic.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:04 AM
Steve Zarelli

I think it's fine too and a reasonable price... especially considering terrible mass-produced fakes are selling for $700+.

I know the TPAs have taken criticism here, but they are going to get show signers like Mantle, Williams, etc right 95%+ of the time. It is their strong suit.

Also, if this is the same Athlon Sports that has been around for many years, they are a reputable seller.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 11-27-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

What made you think that the ball was not authentic/

Old 11-28-2017, 04:38 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I never said it was not authentic but what made me say that I would not buy it is the visual appeal of it. I didn't like the appearance of Mickey's first time with that long drooping descender on his first "M" , it looks like somebody bumped his arm when signing or the pen jumped when he brought his pen down and around on the descending and turn and ascending part of the "M" in Mickey
;the elongated "n" in Reggie Jackson"s last name, the apparent start and stop in the "E" and angle of the "E" in Ernie Banks' signature from beginning to end, and, finally, that long line from Killebrew"s "w" into the base of McCovey's last name.
I am no expert just a collector and there are much more knowledgeable people on this site than me, but the visual appeal of the signatures matter to me. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Kevin, we have to roast one another any chance we get! I have been waiting for someone to light the coals under me for not agreeing that all those Ruth autographs were bad.

The way I evaluate the results of these autograph threads is very simple: if Steve, Chris, Richard or Shelly get involved, I listen. Anyone else...not so much. If the silence is deafening, the jury is still out and will stay out for the rest of time;i.e-don't buy unless you don't mind not being sure...forever. The other thing is - if JSA or PSA says it's bad, it almost certainly is. If they say it's good, it's at least worth taking a closer look at. If they haven't rendered an opinion, I need to have heard from one of the guys I mentioned above.

Because everyone makes mistakes, if it's Ruth, Johnson, Cobb, Wagner or an early Mantle, I use my own judgement to make a buy/sell decision, then consult one or more of the guys above so that I feel better. So far I've never gotten a "you fvcked up".