NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2018, 10:34 AM

Default Eddie Smith

Today I went to visit the grave site of MLB pitcher Edgar "Eddie" Smith, who was a two-time All-Star (1941-42) and also served during WWII. He's the closest MLB player buried to where I live, so I read up on him and then finally made the arduous five minute trek to the cemetery. I noticed the other day that he didn't have any cards during his playing days (unless I'm missing something), despite playing ten years in the majors.

Anyone else visit an MLB grave recently or have anything neat to share for Eddie Smith?

As a side note, I also visited Johnny V's father for the first time, who was also a veteran and buried about 1,000 feet away from Mr Smith. I apologized for starting his son's card collecting habit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.jpg (80.0 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.jpg (25.0 KB, 327 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-20-2018, 12:03 PM

Default Gorby

I got know Gorby near the end of his life and helped one of his close friends get Gorby some card show signings, an invitation to the celebration of Feller’s opting day no hitter, and an interview in the local Trenton paper. He had great stories.
Among other things I remember besides being the losing pitcher in the opening day no hitter, he gave up DiMaggio's first hit of his streak, and was the winning pitcher in the 1941 all star game that Williams won with a home run. There were other historical moments he was involved in, but I can’t remember them now.
Thanks for reminders.
I had some Gorby autographs, but sent them to a Net 54 collector awhile ago. If I find anything else, I will let you know.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:26 PM
Derek Granger

I had to look him up:

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/7d6a8df6

Bruce - that's awesome that you knew him. What's the deal with the manslaughter charge? Did he do time?

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 09-20-2018, 02:09 PM

Derek, never talked about anything but baseball stuff, but the person who introduced him to me was a well known local lawyer.
Wish I could remember the other great events he was in loved in. I will see if I can find the article. I do remember he had a great time when he went to Chicago, and wore the White Sox jacket they gave him everywhere. If I recall he too pitched a great game and the score may have been 1 to 0.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:52 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I admit that I saw the thread title and my heart skipped a beat as I wondered why someone was starting a thread about me. I am up for reading anything "neat" about me, however.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-20-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I admit that I saw the thread title and my heart skipped a beat as I wondered why someone was starting a thread about me. I am up for reading anything "neat" about me, however.
Must have been even better when you got to the part about me visiting your grave site.

I once went with a friend to my hometown and stopped by at my great-grandparents grave site and she was freaked out by seeing my name on the tombstone for my great-grandfather. My dad, who also has the same name, said he thought it was scary as a little kid. I was pretty sure it wasn't me down there, so I was okay with seeing it.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 09-21-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 PM
Mike Dugan

I have a friend and fellow Arkansas SABR member, Dr. Fred Worth that just crossed the 5,000 mark for baseball grave sites visited. He does a power point presentation at our chapter meetings. Not my cup of tea but he really enjoys it and does a great job presenting his travels in a humorous manner.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:05 AM

Default johnny!

great to hear from you! I visited yesterday! was going to call you.....

call me or email me!
Old 09-22-2018, 10:25 AM

My database indicates two playing period issues for Eddie if that helps:
1939 White Sox team issue
1940 White Sox Lotshaw's
Old 09-22-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfallen View Post
My database indicates two playing period issues for Eddie if that helps:
1939 White Sox team issue
1940 White Sox Lotshaw's
Thank you. I'll have to keep my eye out for one.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default apology

That bit definitely made the day, I am sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Today I went to visit the grave site of MLB pitcher Edgar "Eddie" Smith, who was a two-time All-Star (1941-42) and also served during WWII. He's the closest MLB player buried to where I live, so I read up on him and then finally made the arduous five minute trek to the cemetery. I noticed the other day that he didn't have any cards during his playing days (unless I'm missing something), despite playing ten years in the majors.

Anyone else visit an MLB grave recently or have anything neat to share for Eddie Smith?

As a side note, I also visited Johnny V's father for the first time, who was also a veteran and buried about 1,000 feet away from Mr Smith. I apologized for starting his son's card collecting habit.