NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Pete Sycks

Growing up around the Twins when I was a kid it was great getting to know the players including Puckett through my neighbor Wayne "Twig" Terwilliger (1st base coach) I've been to his house a couple times when I was around 10 and my mom actually babysat their daughter for a couple years and we were on a first name basis with Kirby. He was the nicest guy in person and saddens me to hear about all of the stuff behind closed doors after he retired. Seeing all of his gold gloves and silver slugger bats was like a kid in a candy store. Also met: Thomas, Griffey, Canseco among others after the game. Met Feller at Twins fest in 2008 as I was randomly walking around and caught eyes with Feller and said to myself "Is that Bob Feller?" and looked up and it sure was, he was signing for $20.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 01-23-2015, 11:46 PM
Giovanni N.

Mine was meeting both Joe Dimaggio and Hank Aaron at a card show in 1985. They were both signing for $5 each, and I still have the balls I had signed by each hanging on my wall in my office.

The thing I remember most was when we were inline for Dimaggio they made sure you had no Marilyn Monroe items, and they told you not to ask him any questions about her.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:29 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

The first hall of famer I remember seeing in-person was Roy Campanella. He was at a San Diego Padres old-timers game back in the early 1970s. I don't recall if I said anything to him, as I was only around 10 years old at the time (and my mother was holding me back), but I do remember being on the sidewalk just outside San Diego Stadium when he and his assistant came out the gate and were getting into their vehicle after the game.

The first hall of famer I remember actually talking to was Duke Snider at a card show in 1979 in Fallbrook, California. I also met and got an autograph from Willie McCovey in 1974, as he was leaving the stadium after a game.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 01-24-2015, 02:07 AM

I attended the 1981 HOF inductions in Cooperstown. I remember seeing Cool Papa Bell in a drug store, quickly buying a pen and pad, and asking him for his autograph before he left. At this point in time, the public was allowed inside the Otesaga Hotel where I take it most of the HOF'ers stayed during induction weekend. So, my father took us there to have breakfast one morning, where we were seated next to Earl Averill and Freddie Lindstrom. Both were gracious enough to sign an autograph. I met a bunch of other players that day and still remember Jocko Conlan sitting in a big chair in the hotel lobby. I wrote him a letter a few years later mentioning that I met him at the hotel and requesting an autograph on an 8x10 and he sent it back personalized to me with the inscription 'Be Good to Your Parents' - three decades later, I get it.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:37 AM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Edd Roush. He lived in Oakland CITY, Indiana which was just about 10 miles from where I grew up. I'm gonna say it was about 1972. My buddy (who was a baseball nut like me) and I were thinking about how to get his autograph. One of us suddenly came up with the idea: "Hell, why don't we just drive over to his house?" Brilliant. Well, we did and we met Edd. He was just an on old man reading his newspaper or something. Nice. He signed a '61 Fleer for me and something for my buddy. Then he pulled out a stack of signed HOF postcards and gave us each one. Very cool, but I regret that I was so starstruck that I was a mumbling idiot. Could have asked him a thousand questions. But no.

Last edited by deadballfreaK; 01-24-2015 at 03:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 AM
P*ter Me@d

Default July 1966

Jim Konstanty was great friends with my grandparents. During the mid-1960s my family would spend a week a summer at his cottage at six-mile point on the west side of Otsego Lake. He would take my two brothers and me down to Doubleday Field to teach us baseball fundamentals before our annual visit to the HOF.
In late July 1966, we went for a day trip--a surprise visit to Shea for an old timers game in which "Uncle" Jim was playing followed by a Cubs-Mets tilt. We had lunch in the Shea Grill room. Still have the menu with autographs from Phil Rizzuto and Casey Stengal. I know Konstanty brought other players over to our table--but don't necessarily recall who they were.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:43 PM
Jim H

Ted Williams back in 1982. I attended a local show in Flint, Michigan. Very nice to me, ask me how high school was going and what did I plan on doing after graduating. A month or so later I meet Willie Stargell at a mall show.

I worked part time at a grocery store and remembering asking myself if I why am I spending $20 on a Williams auto? That was a lot money back then.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:11 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Warren Spahn was the friendliest HOF'r I ever met. Found him to be really friendly and a little crazy. had me laughing. As for the worst it had to be Reggie Jack@ss. What an arrogant snot. Frank
Old 01-25-2015, 08:24 AM
Tony Quinn

Bronko Nagurski in the mid 70's. My God he was a HUGE man. Hands the size of Christmas hams. Very nice man. Me and my dad used to go to Canton to get autographs for his collection. Also met Johnny "Blood" McNally and George Halas was on the plane ride back to Chicago and got to meet him close up and personal. Those old NFL guys were all very nice.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:13 AM

Bob Feller
Old 01-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Val Kehl

I met and chatted with Harmon Killebrew at a show in VA roughly 25 years ago. I think the show was put on by Tuff Stuff founder, Ernie White, whom I think was based in Richmond. Anyway, it was during the last hour or two of the show after he had finished his autograph-signing duties and the collecting crowd had thinned when Killebrew, rather than scooting asap as most signers do, began walking up and down the aisles of the show and un-hurriedly chatting with collectors and dealers about anything and everything they wanted to talk about.

Killebrew was extremely gracious and pleasant to chat with, even after I got bold and told him that I originally thought he was a huge waste of $$ to the Wash. Senators I loved when I was a youngster growing up in the DC suburbs. Because of the large $$ amount of his signing bonus, MLB rules at that time required that the Senators keep him on their roster for 2 years (I think it was) rather than let him play in the minors to get needed seasoning and experience. You see, to my Dad, striking out was a Cardinal sin, hence, my Senators heroes were contact-hitters like Pete Runnels, whereas Killebrew struck out a very high % of the time whenever the Senators did give him a chance to play in his early years. I never suspected back then that Killebrew would become a HOFer, much less even a decent MLB player!
Val

Last edited by ValKehl; 01-25-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Lyman Hardeman

Default Monte Irvin

From 1970 through 1972, my wife worked in the MLB Commissioner's Office on 5th Ave. in New York City. As a result, we were issued "gate" passes (we were on our own to find a non-reserve seat) which got us into any MLB ballpark in the country. On one occasion, we attended a game at Yankee Stadium with several of the brass from the Commissioner's Office. As I remember (it was 44 years ago), we sat about 15 rows up, behind home plate. We sat next to Monte Irvin, who also worked in the Commissioner's Office at the time. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame a couple of years later, in 1973. It was quite an experience.

My wife's gig also got us invited to the Commissioner's Office Christmas party for a couple of years, held at Toots Shor restaurant in mid-town. At one party, we met and talked as some length with sports artist Leroy Neiman, who had just published the book, "This Great Game," beautifully illustrated with many of his paintings. Great memories of NYC in the early 1970's.

Lyman
512-466-5358
Old 01-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
I met and chatted with Harmon Killebrew at a show in VA roughly 25 years ago. I think the show was put on by Tuff Stuff founder, Ernie White, whom I think was based in Richmond. Anyway, it was during the last hour or two of the show after he had finished his autograph-signing duties and the collecting crowd had thinned when Killebrew, rather than scooting asap as most signers do, began walking up and down the aisles of the show and un-hurriedly chatting with collectors and dealers about anything and everything they wanted to talk about.

Killebrew was extremely gracious and pleasant to chat with, even after I got bold and told him that I originally thought he was a huge waste of $$ to the Wash. Senators I loved when I was a youngster growing up in the DC suburbs. Because of the large $$ amount of his signing bonus, MLB rules at that time required that the Senators keep him on their roster for 2 years (I think it was) rather than let him play in the minors to get needed seasoning and experience. You see, to my Dad, striking out was a Cardinal sin, hence, my Senators heroes were contact-hitters like Pete Runnels, whereas Killebrew struck out a very high % of the time whenever the Senators did give him a chance to play in his early years. I never suspected back then that Killebrew would become a HOFer, much less even a decent MLB player!
Val
Killebrew was 20 when I met him. It's amazing how kids learned to write legibly back in the day.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:40 AM
Ben H*ds@n

In the 1980's I attended a lot of card shows in the Illinois area. I got to meet the likes of Dimaggio, Mantle, Ford, Mays, Boudreau, Appling, Mize, Buck Leonard, Musial, Feller, Minoso, to name a few. Great times at reasonable prices!!! One time, I ended up going to a card show during Labor Day weekend in which Bob Feller appeared. The show was not well attended and I ended up talking to Feller for the better part of an hour about baseball and obscure topics such as the Titanic! lol
Old 01-25-2015, 12:08 PM

My wife and son and I got to meet Bruce Sutter after he spoke and appeared at a BPA World Series youth event in Warsaw, Indiana several years ago.

As a Cardinal fan, it was a great experience. He was very cordial and engaging, and talked about why he left the Cardinals for the Braves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bsutter.jpg (53.7 KB, 496 views)
Old 01-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Larry Moe

Had lunch with Carl Hubble and Peewee Reese in 1980.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:42 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default earlist hall of famer

I met john smolz when he was like 3 years old...I think that's the earliest hall of famer as that was 40 years prior to the hall of fame..most of you guys met HOF people very late... post HOF is really really late......I thnk 40 years prior to being in the HOF is the earliest..
Old 01-28-2015, 02:00 AM
Tim

Default Merlin Ollson.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfn01 View Post
I haven't met any baseball hall of famers. The most famous baseball player I met was Paul ONeil. The oldest athletes I have ever met were football legends Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen when I was a senior at Richmond High School in Indiana. They were super nice, but I did not know who they were at the time. If I knew then what I know now, I would have had so many questions.
Look at that paw on Merlin Olson.......he was a beast. He was also one of the most articulate professional athelete, with varied interests away from the gridiron. Was saddened by his untimely passing.............

Last edited by tjb1952tjb; 01-28-2015 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:58 PM
K Farrell

When I moved to Clevelend in the early 1990's I met Bob Feller at a card show, then soonafter I met him at a bank branch opening, then a gas station opening, then the opening of an ice cream shop down the street - then a kid on my block started a lemonade stand and who was there signing? You guessed it, Bob Feller.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Arnie

Duke Snider. Got his auto at a card show. Got Mays and Mantle too at other shows, but Snider came up before they did. Oh yeah, got White Ford too but he also came up when Mickey and Willie did, Snider still beats them all as the earliest.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:39 PM
Bry@n

That is awesome about Griffith, I loved the story in your book (Walter Johnson: Baseball's Big Train, a must read for those who haven't yet).

Didn't you also meet your grandfather (Walter Johnson for those who don't know) when you were 8 or 9 months old? Even if you don't remember it I say that this counts and you win the prize given he is one of the original 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I met Clark Griffith in 1955, and remember it very well. I was nine.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:40 PM
Bry@n

I posted this story in the happy 100th birthday Joe D thread but thought a repost here would be appropriate because Joe D is the earliest that I ever met. Bob Feller is the second oldest.

I met Joe D in 199(5?) at the National in Chicago. I think he was charging $150 for an autograph so a teenage Jobu didn’t get one. However, my tale does not end here.

As luck would have it, my brother, father and I all chose to relieve ourselves mere seconds before Joe made the same call. My brother, 13 months younger than me, pissed to my left while Joe D, unbeknownst to me, pissed to my right. My brother started elbowing me and making noises in an effort to get me to look to my right. Thinking this was just typical younger brother harassment intended to cause me to break urinal etiquette and look at the guy next to me, I told him to knock it off and went to wash my hands. When I turned around from the sink I came face to face with Joe, who was stopped and looking right at me while waiting for my sink. My reaction must have been priceless, mouth immediately flying open and eyes wide, because Joe cracked a smile and said “Gotta take a piss, huh kid?” while he tapped me lightly on the arm. I was too shocked to offer much of a response, I think I cracked a half smile and nodded yes. But wait, there is more!

My dad, born in 1943, brother and I then walked out of the restroom grinning like kids who had just been given $50 and were about to be set loose in a candy store. As we slowly walked away, smiling from our encounter, I learned that my father did not share my concern for restroom etiquette, or at least was willing to break the rules if the situation required it. It turns out he was pissing to Joe D’s right and had recognized his neighbor. He broke the silence by uttering a statement that I will never forget “I just saw the unit that was in Marilyn Monroe.”
Old 01-31-2015, 03:19 AM
Fr@nk H.0r.v@th

Default Lou Brock

Lou Brock did an appearance in the town I was living in when I was about 8-9 years old... I remember him throwing us grounders and giving us pointers on the game... At the end of the day he gave all the kids a miniature glove that he signed... Probably the first and definitely one of the nicest professional athletes I have ever met.

I have actually met quite a few over the years, mostly because of my work. Couple quick stories...

Dan Marino. Super cool guy, I was 13 or so and he started a conversation with me.

Barry Bonds. I have met him numerous times and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. I know he's not HOF, but one of the biggest names I have met.

Jack Lambert. I worked up the nerve to ask him if I could shake his hand... I never ask for autos or handshakes when I am working but I couldn't resist. He shook my hand and I gushed, 'Thanks, Now I can tell my grandkids I met Jack Ham and Jack Lambert!!' He said 'Oh yea? Where did you meet the Hammer?' I told him the story and we ended up talking for about five minutes.

Norv Turner. Waaaay off board I know but the guy is genuinely awesome. Had to give him some props in a world filled with a lot of jerks. Trust me, I left a lot of negative stories out.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Hank Thomas

I guess I did technically meet him when he was in the hospital, or at least he met me, I hadn't thought of that. I was only a few months old, so naturally I don't remember it. I have always thought it was special to have been the last grandchild born before he passed away, and that he "knew" me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
That is awesome about Griffith, I loved the story in your book (Walter Johnson: Baseball's Big Train, a must read for those who haven't yet).

Didn't you also meet your grandfather (Walter Johnson for those who don't know) when you were 8 or 9 months old? Even if you don't remember it I say that this counts and you win the prize given he is one of the original 5!
Old 09-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Curt

Found this old thread via a search and thought I would revive it.

The first and earliest HOFer I met was Bob Feller, who was signing at Pacific Trading Cards in Edmonds. I think it was 1984 or so.

I "met" a few others at Mariner games in the 80s as well when I was chasing autographs, although all were still active except Yogi Berra, who was a Yankee coach or manager at the time. he was walking to the team bus after the game. Guys like Dave Winfield, Jim Palmer, Gaylord Perry, Tony Perez, Carl Yastrzemski and Eddie Murray all signed something for me at M's games. That was more seeing him close and in person vs. actually meeting him. I also got a bunch of signatures (maybe 1-2 HOFers, but I'd need to see the program to remember) at one of the Equitable Old Timers Game in Seattle.

I then met a few more at the Seattle Fan Fest in 2001, including Bob Gibson, Jim Rice, Orlando Cepeda & Enos Slaughter.

Lastly, I was able to meet a couple at Everett Aqua Sox games when they were signature guests before the games. Rollie Fingers, Gaylord Perry and Fergie Jenkins (I guess they like 60s-80s pitchers!). It was fun too be able too get a number of items signed by each, an opportunity you don't typically get in card show settings, as they were there for 2 hours each and there were really only so many fans interested in standing in line more than once.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Rick Ferrell....

In the lobby of the Otesaga Hotel. Me and a friend had basically snuck into the lobby, we got Ferrell to sign 2 Perez Steeles and we were then escorted out by security. It was well worth it. We each got around 25 hall of fame autographs on that trip. 1985 or 1986 or near there during the induction weekend.

Peace, Mike

PS I also got Gehringer on a baseball on that same trip and that was TOUGH! I basically bugged him so much on the golf course by recounting all of his accomplishments to him that his wife basically said "Charlie, sign for the boy so he will just go away!" He did, and I did! What a sweet sig he had!

Last edited by vthobby; 09-06-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Found this old thread via a search and thought I would revive it.

The first and earliest HOFer I met was Bob Feller, who was signing at Pacific Trading Cards in Edmonds. I think it was 1984 or so.
That is funny I was the first person in line for that signing. I remember Bob was late as he got lost finding the place. I got a Donruss Baseball Hereos card signed and a postcard signed
Old 09-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Jerry

When I was about 10 yrs old , we went over to Glenn Myatt's House a couple times. He was a friend of my Step Fathers. I remember looking at his scrapbook and the 1926 Cleveland Indians Team Panorama picture on the wall. Also Pictures of him and Speaker doing some Deer Hunting. I remember he didn't speak to highly of Cobb but was very fond of Ruth. He played from 1920-1936, He died in 1969
Old 09-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Curt

Look familiar? I got those same things signed as well, the 83 heroes card and the PC they sent to advertise the signing along with the 8x10 B&W paper photo with the career highlights on back he had there and a ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
That is funny I was the first person in line for that signing. I remember Bob was late as he got lost finding the place. I got a Donruss Baseball Hereos card signed and a postcard signed
Old 09-05-2015, 11:38 PM

Sure does. Great post. I now live 5 minutes away from where PTC used to have their store. Brings back good memories every time drive by
Old 09-05-2015, 11:41 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default Don Drysdale, 1961,

Stark field, El Centro. I was going on nine. The Dodgers and Angels would come through town once a year on the way to the Dodgers spring training site in Palm Springs. The guys would hold a clinic for us kids, literally a couple of hours, then back in the bus they would go. No pen, no cards, just me, my beater glove and Red Ball Jets. My Dad said I met Koufax but all I remember was Drysdale was so TALL, me being around 3 1/2 feet or so at the time. And these guys threw hard, I mean my jaw hung the whole time Drysdale was throwing. His herky motion scared the crap out of me, thinking about hitting. I think I learned about mortality that day. Man, that was a blast.
...whatever I want
Old 09-06-2015, 01:32 AM

Default Hof

The earliest HOF inductees I've met were Bob Feller and Ralph Kiner. Met both of them while attending Sports card & Memorabilia shows. Got autographs of both, and a picture with Kiner; didn't have my camera for Feller. Living in NYC, I've had the opportunity to attend many shows over the years.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:23 AM
Dave

I shook Phil Rizzuto's hand when he was walking thru a show near Boston, when he was on his way to the autograph signing area.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:49 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Wonderful names. Edd Roush and Carl Hubbell! I saw Stengel at an old timer's game, but my oldest conversation buddy is Pie Traynor. Spoke with him 2 or 3 times since he was often at the ballpark in the late 60's and early 70's. Most memorable one is Roberto Clemente, who spent some time talking with me when I was 10.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Robert J. Miller

Tough one because I don't know the dates.

But in the early 1980's I met Mantle, DiMaggio, Williams, and Aaron at different card shows.

Then at the Hall Of Fame Induction weekend in the early 80's I also met Lefty Gomez along with Williams, Roberts and several others.

Then at a SABR meeting one time I met Buck Leonard and several other Negro League players like Sy Morton (although not a HOFer). Now they were awesome. It was great talking with them and they were just so willing to talk for hours one on one with you.

Robert
Old 09-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Mike Ryan

The Oakland Oaks in 1946 spring trained in the City of San Fernando. My Dad, who had the contract of moving their equipment, introduced me to Casey Stengal and Babe Herman. I still remember Shaking hands with Herman. His hand was bigger than my 1st basemans glove.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I haven't met any HOFers (yet) but I ran track in high school with a guy whose mom was a professional photographer. In the 80s she was hired to cover a show with Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio. So she went and spent the day an arms length away from the two of them, making small talk, and at the end of the show, they offered to sign as much stuff as she wanted, for free. She declined, because she was not an autograph collector.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Jeff H

My son and I met and got autographs from Al Kaline and Gordie Howe at events in town around 25 years ago. As I remember both were very nice. My son was very excited to meet them.
My son and I play golf with Dolly Konwinski's (Dolly Niemiec) sons. She played in the AAGPBL and still signs at shows. She was at the Chicago National this year.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Ryan

Mickey mantle around 1982. He was completely drunk signing autographs at a department store. If you bought a pair of Lee jeans he signed an autograph for you. My mom actually made a comment to him about showing up at an event for kids in his condition which started an argument between him and her. I was 7 at the time and totally embarrassed. Looking back I understand now. He was a total a-hole then but he ultimately made amends for his behavior. My mom and I share a laugh From
time to time about her shouting down the Mick
Old 09-06-2015, 03:27 PM

Started going to the HOF induction ceremony in 1970 -- met people Like Rube Marquard, Harry Hooper, Lefty Grove, Jesse Haines, Joe Cronin, Satchel Paige, Cool Papa Bell, Max Carey, Zack Wheat, Earle Combs, Lloyd Waner, Frankie Frisch, Burleigh Grimes and Buck Leonard just to name a few. Did the same thing that a previous poster mentioned --hung out in the lobby of the Otesaga Hotel.
Here are a few photos of me as a kid with Buck Leonard, Lefty Gomez, Stan the Man, Rapid Robert and Lefty Grove.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grove pic .jpg (35.2 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg HOF photo1.jpg (44.4 KB, 365 views)
Old 09-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Marty K.

Default HOF......Not really....

Around 1994 I showed one of my neighbor's son my small vintage Yankee collection .....he was impressed to a point.... being young I wasn't sure he knew or really cared about the 30's Yankees .....A couple weeks later his mother saw me playing catch in the front yard with my oldest son so she brought her father, who was visiting from out of town, over to meet me.... I remember that he was in his 90's and his nickname was Smoke .... He played football at Columbia with Lou Gehrig... Smoke is in the team picture that appears in a couple of the books on Gehrig....Smoke was a smallish halfback and he remembered and commented on the size of Gehrig's thighs and how very strong he was....This was 1922 and if you have that picture Smoke is top row, second from the right.....as close as I will ever get to my favorite player Lou Gehrig.......

I assume you meant Baseball HOF
But I've met Rocket Richard , Jean Beliveau, Johnny Bauer all great guys....
Old 09-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Craig Diamond

Default Stan the Man

For a few years in the late 1980's there was an annual televised awards show called the "Jim Thorpe Sports Awards." I lucked into tickets one year, watched the show and then when it was over everyone hung around and mingled, included the various athletes - Riddick Bowe, Emmitt Smith, Jackie Joyner, Jim Courier, etc.

I moved around in the crowd getting signatures, shaking hands and just generally being in awe. At one point I look around and notice an older man in a red jacket sitting alone by himself in the front row. Right away I see it's Stan Musial. Stan Musial! No one's paying any attention to him at all and he's just kicking back watching the scene. I walk over and all I can say is something like "Wow, you're Stan Musial!" He says "that's right!" and then pulls out a stack of postcard sized cards with a full colored photo and lots of stats and info. He asks if I'd like an autograph and even had a sharpie ready to go. We had a brief chat and I moved on. Felt like I'd found hidden treasure.

It was cool to see all the great athletes, but as a baseball loyalist, having a chance to meet up with Stan Musial was easily the highlight.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:51 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Default Ron Santo (go figure)

I used to work at a valet parking lot one block from Wrigley Field. It was a mom and pop operation, just my boss and I would park around 30-40 cars in a grid. When I first started in 2005, he told me Ronnie occasionally would pull in the driveway and he'd fetch him a couple beers from the garage fridge, as we were on Ronnie's way back to the Kennedy expressway.

Sure enough, after one of the games that summer a black, 2004 Chevy Tahoe with full tints pulled over into the driveway and beeped a couple times. My boss immediately began waving and told me to go intercept it with a couple MGD cans out of the fridge. The window rolled down and there was Ron Santo. His setup was quite unique-all the vehicle's controls were on the steering wheel, just like the hand grips on a motorcycle. So imagine driving on cruise control with the brakes and all! He slipped me a sawbuck. I still wish I would have got to interact with him more than the three times I saw him that year. But I think I deduced why he never really came through again.

Much to my horror, I grabbed one of those MGD cans for my walk home one night, cracked it, took a sip and recoiled-it was absolutely disgusting. I checked the expiration date and it was well past one year. I figure it was about 18 months from brewing. I was so embarassed. I had been giving Ron these absolute shit beers. As the years have passed though, there's no doubt. He will always be my favorite vintage Cub-RIP
Old 09-22-2018, 11:42 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Many....

My earliest was Charlie Gehringer at HOF Weekend. He would not sign for anyone. I was about 16 years old and loved old baseball stats so when i approached him and his wife my friends were howling and saying "forget it, you are wasting your time". I started telling Charlie all of his stats (like he forgot! ha!@)......he kept refusing until his wife said something like "just sign the damn ball Charlie so this kid will go away!". Signed a beauty on the sweet spot and I was forever immortalized by my buddies!

Peace, Mike
Old 09-23-2018, 06:44 AM

Mine would be Kirby Puckett and Jim Rice down in Florida around 1989 or 1990

My best friend and I had collected baseball cards since first grade together. Everything was baseball between us and during the winter he and his dad planned a trip down to Florida to watch some spring training games and get autographs and they invited me to come. I couldn't wait for spring to get here.

Finally spring arrived and we headed out from middle Georgia down to florida...we visited the Twins site and they had a practice field across the parking lot from their stadium so you would go to the practice field early and they would all sign autos when they walked across the parking lot...I managed to get Kirby Puckett to sign 4 cards for me while my friend was busy chasing down someone else(he didn't see puckett was leaving, and Kirby was in his top 3 favorite players)...so now I had 4 autographs and knew I could get something great from my best friend in trade if I made him sweat...so when he asked I told I him I would think about what I want in trade for a puckett

We then went to the Red Sox camp and after the game, all the players were peeling out in their cars(oil can boyd had a sweet Mercedes 450) and not signing ...so as me and my best friend stood there at the fence we saw a batboy walking a huge trash can of bats out to the dumpster....and we noticed the fence gate was still open where they were letting the players drive out...so me and my friend walk into the stadium and over to the dumpster and my buddy hops in and starts throwing out bats to me....when I hear "You boys supposed to be back here?"....I turn around and its Jim Rice....I say "no sir"......and Jim Rice says "well don't get caught"..and walks over to his baby blue chevy bel air, cranks it up, and drives off.

Was an awesome trip that created incredible memories for two 17 year old boys that had been baseball fans all their lives, played little league together every year of their lives, etc....

Unfortunately a week and a half after we got back, my best friend contracted spinal menigitus(sp) and passed away 2 days later. After his wake, me and his father went back into the room where he laid in his casket and I took out a Kirby puckett autographed card and put it in his hand. He was buried with Kirby in his hand.

Last edited by Dpoolem3; 09-23-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:33 AM
Bob McLean

Bob Feller, Whitey Ford, Gaylord Perry, Fergie Jenkins. Might be missing a couple of guys.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:45 AM

Whitey Ford, Lou Brock
Old 09-23-2018, 07:56 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Default Nice old thread

Wow: Clark Griffith and Edd Roush!! Who here knew Tim Keefe and Bid McPhee? Earliest I can do is Pie Traynor, who used to be at a lot of games during the last days of Forbes and the first days of 3 Rivers Stadium. He was as approachable and friendly as could be.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:25 AM
Bruce Esser

In the mid 50's I was allowed to tag along with my big brothers baseball team to go watch Creighton play. They played at Fontenelle park. Bob Gibson was pitching and struck out at least 2 guys every inning. My brothers coach knew Creighton's coach so after the game we were allowed on the field. I went up to Bob, shook his hand and congratulated him on a great game.

In the early 90's my wife (a doctor) was helping to organize a Diabetes awareness/education conference. She asked me to go pick up a Mr. Hunter and chauffeur him to his hotel and to the conference. I assumed it was some doctor. It was Jim "Catfish" Hunter. We talked about family and hunting. I took him to the airport the next morning and he gave me a signed baseball.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 09-23-2018, 06:40 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Joe DiMaggio in or around 1961. He was doing a promotional tour for the Air Force Commissaries and visited our Little League association at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi. He autographed my first baseman's mitt as well as a drawing of him in my copy of "Big Time Baseball".
He then wanted to hit a home run on our Little League field. The fence was 220' and his first swing was a ground ball down the first base line. His next swing was a hr.
Great memories!!