NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2018, 08:11 AM
Dave Fa*st

Default Type Collectors - cards you don’t see anymore ?

Curious with the type collectors what cards you were seeing on the market 10-20 years ago for sale that you just don’t see that often if at all anymore?

There are several of the baking cards I hardly ever see now and kick myself for not grabbing them in the early 2000s.

Last edited by asphaltman; 09-22-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Always a type collector at heart, there are some that we rarely see for sale such as D303 (both varieties), D382 and some others. And then there are some that when we see them we either get them or might not have another chance at all. And then too there could be a big find of any of the super rare ones, at any time. Both of these boomeranged . One that used to not be so hot were the T215 Red Crosses. It seems they went from a few hundred dollars to $1k+ overnight, and have been there for several years.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:53 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Virtually all 19th century photographic cards--large gypsy queens, N167s, Lone Jacks, Four Base Hits, Yum Yums, Hancock Clothing, Just So, etc.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Dave Fa*st

Leon - agree although the two examples you've posted would be tough to say they were around and aren't now...they were hardly ever around.

As far as the 19th century, I would agree it doesn't seem like near as many examples out there. I'm assuming there are a few 19th century collectors that have just hoarded what they could and will sit on them for years.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Fair enough that those shown were never easier to begin with.

I remember back when I first got on ebay, you could pick these E99s up for under $100 each. Yes, they to are scarce but I think I remember seeing more available in my earlier career than I see today.

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltman View Post
Leon - agree although the two examples you've posted would be tough to say they were around and aren't now...they were hardly ever around.

As far as the 19th century, I would agree it doesn't seem like near as many examples out there. I'm assuming there are a few 19th century collectors that have just hoarded what they could and will sit on them for years.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:07 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default E99

Always nice when thoughtful collectors print the catalog letter and number on the back of the card for easy reference......LOL
Old 09-23-2018, 02:20 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

"As far as the 19th century, I would agree it doesn't seem like near as many examples out there. I'm assuming there are a few 19th century collectors that have just hoarded what they could and will sit on them for years."

If hoarding means getting one copy, then I agree. Most of these cards have less than five known copies of a particular card. People who do not collect these have no idea of how rare these cards really are.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:14 PM
Seth

Seems to me the market for rare types is generally thin right now, while you don't have to look hard to find high grade star cards (at high prices).

I track things like T209-2, E222, T211. T209-2, seems like there's next to nothing, whereas 5 years ago I feel like new stuff would pop up on ebay every month, and a few in the various auctions.

Generally, for those rarer sets you would find a handful of those cards around in every REA auction, etc. Now, it's every other at best. Then, I feel like Heritage has excellent cards, but I'm more likely to see high quality examples of something I've seen 20 times, rather than low quality examples of rare cards I (now) almost never see. Maybe it's just me, but that's my feel for it.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:26 PM

Good seeing you Dave, it’s been a while.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:26 PM
pete ullman

The reality is that a lot of issues w/fronts that look like t206 that have more difficult backs have virtually dried up. 5 to 10 years ago coupon cobbs were much less desirable then their T206 counterpart... and they were available. Anything like t215 Red Cross or t213 type one esp but really all types of coupons. There was a period of time where a handful of tea 215 Red Cross type ones languished on eBay for around $100 each because they had some back damage now they are $1000 cards?
Old 09-23-2018, 06:35 PM
Dave Fa*st

I think the E222s, E224's, or something like the Red Cross cards that have been available finally got in the hands of some of those collectors that just don't move cards to acquire other cards. For me, I can only have so many $2k cards before I have to sell something else. But seems some of these cards are not in that circulation anymore. And taking into account there are so few of them to begin with.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:16 PM
Luke Lyon

It's kind of funny/odd/interesting that these cards were more available years ago when they were worth a fraction of what they are now. It seems to me that with more common cards (like T206 Cobbs, T206 WaJo Portraits, Ruths, etc) the higher prices tend to bring more out of the woodwork.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:49 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbernard View Post
Seems to me the market for rare types is generally thin right now, while you don't have to look hard to find high grade star cards (at high prices).

I track things like T209-2, E222, T211. T209-2, seems like there's next to nothing, whereas 5 years ago I feel like new stuff would pop up on ebay every month, and a few in the various auctions.

Generally, for those rarer sets you would find a handful of those cards around in every REA auction, etc. Now, it's every other at best. Then, I feel like Heritage has excellent cards, but I'm more likely to see high quality examples of something I've seen 20 times, rather than low quality examples of rare cards I (now) almost never see. Maybe it's just me, but that's my feel for it.
+1
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:50 PM
pete ullman

Ruth strips...exhibits...there used to be lots of ruth issues that could be had for $500 or less that are now in the thousands and no longer readily available! Also cobb postcards...for a while dietsche batting cobbs were everywhere for less than $1000...not anymore!!!!!
Old 09-23-2018, 09:44 PM
Dave Fa*st

I think postcards in general Pete...10-15 years ago it seemed you'd find that more oddball issue. I guess since then more people have just caught on to the postcard craze for baseball and you rarely see many of those now either.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:53 PM
Seth

Some nice type cards in the Brockelman auction!
Old 09-26-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
The reality is that a lot of issues w/fronts that look like t206 that have more difficult backs have virtually dried up. 5 to 10 years ago coupon cobbs were much less desirable then their T206 counterpart... and they were available. Anything like t215 Red Cross or t213 type one esp but really all types of coupons. There was a period of time where a handful of tea 215 Red Cross type ones languished on eBay for around $100 each because they had some back damage now they are $1000 cards?

Agree, Pete. Also the T213-3s, especially the HOFers in the set have skyrocketed. Back in the 80's and 90's it seemed no one wanted the series 3 (1919) cards because they had muted colors compared to the 2nd series which were brighter, sharper and glossy, (even though they were much, much tougher). Now compare the prices for nice commons in series 3 vs. nice commons in series 2.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My total SWAG theory is that people who have a few examples of rare cards are sitting on them waiting to see where values go, especially on the ones that haven't run up in recent years. I know quite a few people, myself included, who regret selling some issues or players too early and won't make that error again.

Could also be the AH effect: so many houses, so many auctions, all needing consignments. We may perceive it as 'seeing' fewer of these cards than in past years because relatively fewer of them are being FSBO'd on eBay where we search for them.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-26-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
My total SWAG theory is that people who have a few examples of rare cards are sitting on them waiting to see where values go, especially on the ones that haven't run up in recent years. I know quite a few people, myself included, who regret selling some issues or players too early and won't make that error again.

Like selling off an entire set (minus one common) of the T213-3's I derived from the Southern Find in the 80's to Bill Mastro in the early 90's to obtain money to purchase other cards? The biggest mistake I ever made in the hobby. The cards were all EX or better, about 15 were overprint backs. I sold the entire set for less than the price one Ty Cobb in EX goes for 25 years later
Old 09-26-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Good seeing you Dave, it’s been a while.
+1 Hope you're well my friend.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:11 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Like selling off an entire set (minus one common) of the T213-3's I derived from the Southern Find in the 80's to Bill Mastro in the early 90's to obtain money to purchase other cards? The biggest mistake I ever made in the hobby. The cards were all EX or better, about 15 were overprint backs. I sold the entire set for less than the price one Ty Cobb in EX goes for 25 years later
Ouch bob!!!
Old 09-28-2018, 12:08 PM

E 104 with Nadja Backs... I don't see a lot of those at all.

Ricky Y
Old 09-30-2018, 08:18 PM
Dan Studebaker

I would agree with the T209-2 I don't see them as often as I used to. The others mentioned always seemed tough.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyy View Post
E 104 with Nadja Backs... I don't see a lot of those at all.

Ricky Y
But as the ones I had mentioned first, how many have we really ever seen? They, like some others, have never been plentiful. They are neat though.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:36 PM
octavio ranzola

Texas tommys