NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-30-2023, 03:08 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Potentially the most unpredictable Playoffs ever

As we head down the home stretch with the Playoffs about a month away, right now it has the making of potentially the most exciting Playoffs ever, in my opinion.

I don't recall 2 Heavyweights like the Braves & Dodgers in one League in a long time. Both with recent WS titles under their belts, both just dominating all season long. Will they meet? Who will prevail?

One of those 2 will also have to face the Phillies who are on fire right now, and the defending NL champs.

So some big time matchups hopefully coming in October.

Over in the AL you have 3 teams who can potentially top the perennial AL Champ Astros, but won't be an easy task.

3 (Baltimore, Texas, Seattle) new and exciting teams with some outstanding matchup potentials as well. I'm really hoping for a Battle of Texas at some point between the Rangers and Astros.

Still a long way to go, but can't wait. The beer is on ice!

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-10-2023 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:22 PM
Jay Shumsky

I agree that the playoffs should be great to watch this year, but the Dodgers and Braves were both pretty good last year and were joined by the Mets to have 3 100 win teams in the NL (although the Mets were going in the wrong direction at the end). In the AL, Houston had over 100 wins and the Yankees had 99 so that's 5 out of 12 teams which probably meant the playoffs were a little more top heavy last year.

There does seem to be more balance among the likely teams this year which should make for some great series. It all depends on who gets hot at the right time. Last year, I didn't think the Phillies were getting in since they struggled the last month but turned it on once the playoffs started.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:28 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

....but the problem with last years is too many sweeps and not enough Game 5's in the early round nor Game 6 & 7's in the later rounds. 4-1 & 4-0 in the NLCS & ALCS, dats a no good.

I think this year it just seems more even. I see a lot of Series going the distance, to the final and decisive game of the Series.

We'll see.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 08-30-2023 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:12 AM

Dodgers v Braves could be epic. As a fan, I'm hoping Ohtani joins the Dodgers. Then that playoff matchup could be epic for at least another year or two before people start leaving for the Mets and Yankees.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:55 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Every year I hope for epic matchups and 7 game series.

This year definitely has the potential with some really strong teams.

And I agree would love to see Atlanta vs LA and alll the stars going at it.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-31-2023, 03:12 PM
Jay Shumsky

You never know what will happen in the playoffs. Last year, it looked like both LCS series would have been very close but Houston swept the Yankees and the Phillies beat San Diego in 5. Personally I hope for the Phillies to sweep and for whoever they play next to have a series go the distance.

Last edited by jayshum; 08-31-2023 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:02 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post
Dodgers v Braves could be epic. As a fan, I'm hoping Ohtani joins the Dodgers. Then that playoff matchup could be epic for at least another year or two before people start leaving for the Mets and Yankees.
Braves and Dodgers start a 4 game series tonight.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:22 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post
Who is leaving the Braves or Dodgers to go the Mets or Yankees?
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 09-01-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Who is leaving the Braves or Dodgers to go the Mets or Yankees?
I was just making the joke that at some point everyone leaves for a big paycheck from the Yankees or the Mets.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:25 AM
Tim Odeen

I root for a bunch of losers: Reds, Guardians, Mariners, Rockies, Twins. After my teams all exit early, and the anxiety goes away, the playoffs become very enjoyable every year.

But! I do hope Ohtani goes somewhere competitive next year. I would like to see him win. Fingers crossed for the Mariners, but that would likely hamstring them financially and return them to obscurity.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-01-2023, 10:34 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I root for a bunch of losers: Reds, Guardians, Mariners, Rockies, Twins. After my teams all exit early, and the anxiety goes away, the playoffs become very enjoyable every year.

But! I do hope Ohtani goes somewhere competitive next year. I would like to see him win. Fingers crossed for the Mariners, but that would likely hamstring them financially and return them to obscurity.

Reds and Mariners could be sneaky good if they make it to the postseason.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 09-02-2023, 12:07 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Reds and Mariners could be sneaky good if they make it to the postseason.
Mariners could be very good, but I wonder if they peaked to soon. Reds will not be good. All the pitchers are maxed out.

Mariners rotation could have been much better, but Emerson Hancock is out long term.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 10-04-2023, 02:07 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

would love to see Texas vs Houston.....winner goes to the World Series.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Braves Dodgers could be epic. Acuna, Olson, Betts, Freeman, plus all the pitchers.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:25 PM

If the Donnie Baseball curse holds true, the Marlins should be in line to win it all this year.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:07 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
would love to see Texas vs Houston.....winner goes to the World Series.
I did not see Texas crushing Tampa like this.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:30 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Braves Dodgers could be epic. Acuna, Olson, Betts, Freeman, plus all the pitchers.
1st epic battle could be Phillies and Braves. Re-match of last years Round 2.

But yah if we get Braves Dodgers and Astros Rangers....that would be ideal. But still 2 rounds to go to get there.

Astros Orioles wouldn't be too shabby either, but hoping first for the Battle of Texas.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-04-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I did not see Texas crushing Tampa like this.
1 run in two games that is surprising.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:35 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Twins sweep the Jays and it's off to Houston

Carlos Correa going home.

Boy that Mets contract falling apart worked out for him.
Old 10-04-2023, 06:31 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

The Braves will face the Orioles in the WS the Braves will prevail.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-04-2023, 06:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Fear the Bird.

Old 10-04-2023, 06:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Twins sweep the Jays and it's off to Houston

Carlos Correa going home.

Boy that Mets contract falling apart worked out for him.
Worst year of his career. 1.4 WAR and .230. What happened? I had him on my HOF potential list.

Old 10-04-2023, 08:02 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Worst year of his career. 1.4 WAR and .230. What happened? I had him on my HOF potential list.
Definitely not a great year for him. Still only 28, but yah he better redeem himself in the Playoffs or come back strong next year or his HOF chances will dwindle.

He did make a very nice play to throw Bichette out at home.......and a great tag on a pick off play of Vlad Jr., and he drove the first run of the game in with a bases loaded single.........so not a bad to start to these Playoffs.

4 sweeps in the first round.

Let's hope the 2nd round gets a little more intense.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-04-2023 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 05:24 AM
Jay Shumsky

All sweeps in the first round was a surprise. As a Phillies fan, I was not expecting them to beat the Marlins as easily as they did, but Wheeler and Nola really stepped up with great starts. Wheeler wasn't a surprise, but Nola has not been great this year. Next up is Atlanta. I don't see how the Phillies can win this series, but I thought the same thing last year and they beat Atlanta in 4 games so hopefully they can find a way to do it again, but if I had to bet on it, my money would be on the Braves.

Hopefully this round is more competitive, but I could see the Braves, Dodgers, Orioles and Astros all winning pretty easily.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:14 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
All sweeps in the first round was a surprise. As a Phillies fan, I was not expecting them to beat the Marlins as easily as they did, but Wheeler and Nola really stepped up with great starts. Wheeler wasn't a surprise, but Nola has not been great this year. Next up is Atlanta. I don't see how the Phillies can win this series, but I thought the same thing last year and they beat Atlanta in 4 games so hopefully they can find a way to do it again, but if I had to bet on it, my money would be on the Braves.

Hopefully this round is more competitive, but I could see the Braves, Dodgers, Orioles and Astros all winning pretty easily.
Jay, can you rank the 4 underdogs in Round 2, 1 to 4, with 1 being the best chance at an upset and advancing, to 4 being least likely to advance.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:44 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Jay, can you rank the 4 underdogs in Round 2, 1 to 4, with 1 being the best chance at an upset and advancing, to 4 being least likely to advance.
I would list them in this order:

1 - Rangers
2 - Diamondbacks
3 - Phillies
4 - Twins
Old 10-05-2023, 08:46 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
For one thing plantar fasciitis, since about May. He can't run-- 30 GIDP-- and it likely affects his hitting approach also.

The Twins would be really tough to beat with a fully healthy Correa, Lewis and Buxton. Of course, a fully healthy Buxton is seen about as often as a unicorn.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-05-2023, 12:14 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Back to Correa and the key pickoff of Vlad.

"Sonny Gray said this was all Correa. Correa noticed early that the runners couldn’t hear the 3rd-base coach & told Gray about it early in the game."
Old 10-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Tim Odeen

None of my teams have ever won a WS: Reds, Mariners, Colorado, Twins, Cleveland.

Here are my picks. Twins, Orioles, Arizona. I want to see new blood win a WS. Sonny Gray is a former Reds pitcher. They are my #1 team.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:24 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I want to see a Baltimore-Arizona WS. So sick of the Dodgers and the Astros!
Old 10-07-2023, 04:03 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
I want to see a Baltimore-Arizona WS. So sick of the Dodgers and the Astros!
+1 and everyone not from Texas or So-Cal.

Old 10-08-2023, 06:54 AM
Jay Shumsky

It will be interesting to see how these series play out. 3 of the 4 home teams (that had long layoffs) lost game 1 which can be tough to come back from in a 5 game series.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:03 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
None of my teams have ever won a WS: Reds, Mariners, Colorado, Twins, Cleveland.

Here are my picks. Twins, Orioles, Arizona. I want to see new blood win a WS. Sonny Gray is a former Reds pitcher. They are my #1 team.
I know you are too young to remember but the Reds won in 1919, and 1940; the Twins won in 1987 and 1991 (and in 1924 as the Senators) and the Indians won in 1828 and 1948.

I would to see the O's and D-Backs.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:20 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubman1941 View Post
I know you are too young to remember but the Reds won in 1919, and 1940; the Twins won in 1987 and 1991 (and in 1924 as the Senators) and the Indians won in 1828 and 1948.

I would to see the O's and D-Backs.
Reds won in1975, 1976 and 1990 also.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:15 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Reds won in1975, 1976 and 1990 also.
You are correct, I forgot these.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:33 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Now it's getting good.

4-3 bottom of 7th.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:49 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

There is a chance at 4 upsets in the 2nd round.

WOW!!!!
Old 10-09-2023, 07:00 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a hit......home run....I should say.

WOW!!!!!

I'm gonna say it now, that may be the hit that won the World Series!!!!!

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-09-2023 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2023, 07:16 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Holy F#@k, what a finish!!!!!

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-09-2023 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:24 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a hit......home run....I should say.

WOW!!!!!

I'm gonna say it now, that may be the hit that won the World Series!!!!!
I hope not, but the Phillies certainly had as good of an opportunity to go up 2-0 and let the Braves back in the series.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:52 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
I hope not, but the Phillies certainly had as good of an opportunity to go up 2-0 and let the Braves back in the series.
Phillies had em on the ropes.......bottom of the 8th 2 outs 2 strikes.

Definitely not over by any means, but they better win the next game.

I just want the Series to go 5 games, and then extra innings.
Old 10-09-2023, 10:07 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I know you are too young to remember but the Reds won in 1919, and 1940; the Twins won in 1987 and 1991 (and in 1924 as the Senators) and the Indians won in 1828 and 1948...
My first thought was, wait, the Little Bighorn was 1876, not 1828...

Of course, you meant 1920, with Tris Speaker and Joe Wood.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:48 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
My first thought was, wait, the Little Bighorn was 1876, not 1828...

Of course, you meant 1920, with Tris Speaker and Joe Wood.
Thanks, my fingers got displaced and I seldom proof read but should

Speaker was great as usual but Smokey Joe was very much a non-factor. Jim Bagby Sr. and Stan Coveleski lied the way.
Old 10-10-2023, 03:49 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Thanks, my fingers got displaced and I seldom proof read but should

Speaker was great as usual but Smokey Joe was very much a non-factor. Jim Bagby Sr. and Stan Coveleski lied the way.
What were Bagby and Coveleski lying about?
Old 10-10-2023, 04:49 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
What were Bagby and Coveleski lying about?
About Smokey Joy being in his prime.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:27 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Cubman huh.....are you sure you are not Harry Carrey reincarnated?

Who the hell is Smokey Joy?
Old 10-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Austin Riley

For those of you who missed it

I can't decide between the TV guys or the Spanish broadcast being the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jeQroQqkF8
Old 10-10-2023, 05:53 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

To clarify:

Quote:
The Indians won in 1876, 1920, and 1948.

Quote:
Bagby and Coveleski led the way but as far as we know, were truthful.

Quote:
Wood was a happy enough fellow despite blowing out his pitching arm in 1913, but he was known as "Smoky Joe."

Quote:
Jim Carrey is an actor (an over-actor in fact,) while Harry Caray was a baseball announcer.
Old 10-10-2023, 06:45 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

The Battle of Texas is coming!!!!.........or The Lone Star Series, whatever you want to call it.

Good bye East Coast

Well at least you have the Jets, Giants and Patriots to keep you entertained until January 7th.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-10-2023 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-11-2023, 04:59 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:

Who the hell is Smokey Joy?
Someday I will learn to proof read and not rely on autocorrect.