NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

View Poll Results: Can Trout replace cobb?
Yep hes already has 3 7.32%
No way ! 20 48.78%
Sure but needs more seasons of the same 17 41.46%
Whos mike trout? 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2018, 01:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Sure you can. Willie Mays said Clemente was the best player he ever saw (outside of himself). That covers everyone but Cobb on your list. Orlando Cepeda who was a teammate of both Mays and Aaron said Clemente was better. My team

RF Clemente
CF Mays
LF Ruth
SS Wagner
3b Schmidt
2b Hornsby
1b Gehrig
C Josh Gibson
DH Williams
RHP Johnson
LHP Koufax
I'll take the numbers over two anecdotes. And they aren't even close, if you look at for example Baseball Reference.

Here is Roberto.

Black Ink
Batting - 23 (90), Average HOFer ≈ 27

Gray Ink
Batting - 154 (82), Average HOFer ≈ 144

Hall of Fame Monitor
Batting - 231 (32), Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards
Batting - 51 (83), Average HOFer ≈ 50

And here is Hank.

Black Ink
Batting - 76 (8), Average HOFer ≈ 27

Gray Ink
Batting - 408 (2), Average HOFer ≈ 144

Hall of Fame Monitor
Batting - 421 (3), Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards
Batting - 75 (9), Average HOFer ≈ 50

There's a great deal of, what's the word, romance around Clemente, perhaps because of his flair and charisma, perhaps because of his early death. But the numbers just aren't there. In 2003 Bill James ranked him something like 70th on his all time list. I would put him a lot higher than that, but he isn't anywhere close to Aaron IMO.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-26-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I'll take the numbers over two anecdotes. And they aren't even close, if you look at for example Baseball Reference.

Here is Roberto.

Black Ink

Gray Ink

Hall of Fame Monitor

Hall of Fame Standards

And here is Hank.

Black Ink

Gray Ink

Hall of Fame Monitor

Hall of Fame Standards

There's a great deal of, what's the word, romance around Clemente, perhaps because of his flair and charisma, perhaps because of his early death. But the numbers just aren't there. In 2003 Bill James ranked him something like 70th on his all time list. I would put him a lot higher than that, but he isn't anywhere close to Aaron IMO.
I could list several more Hofers like Sparky Anderson and Lou Brock. If you don't care about defense, you can argue Aaron was a better hitter, though his numbers are inflated by playing in easy hitters parks. I value great defensive players and players that gave 100% all the time. I will take Clemente and Mays over any other players that I have seen play.

There is no romance around Clemente. He was regarded as the best player in baseball in the late 60s/early 70s after Mays and Mantle were in decline. There are plenty of quotes from that era including a 1968 article in Sport where he was chosen the best player in baseball by MLB GMs. There are even a quotes from Aaron (who was upset that others thought Clemente was better) such as "When you're second best, you try harder." from a 1967 article. If anything, Clemente doesn't get the respect that he deserves from modern analysts who never saw him play.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:34 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

Here is Roberto.

Black Ink

Gray Ink

Hall of Fame Monitor

Hall of Fame Standards

And here is Hank.

Black Ink

Gray Ink

Hall of Fame Monitor

Hall of Fame Standards

Your posts are usually spot on, Peter. But the numbers comparison is a bit of a stretch. Come on. Comparing Hall of Fame metrics for the two players is silly. Clemente played in 2,433 games. Aaron played in 3,298. Aaron's career was a third longer than Clemente's. Of course his metrics dwarf Clemente's. And you can't make the argument that Clemente wouldn't have added to his own metrics tremendously had he continued playing. His last five years, Roberto was actually getting better. He was a little dinged up in 1972, so he played in only 102 games. But he still hit .312, and OPS +'d 138. The year prior, at age 36, he hit .341 with a 143 OPS +. He had a 7.3 WAR at age 36. At age 35 in 1970, he hit .352 with a 160 OPS +. Clemente was a .334 hitter with a 157 OPS + his last five seasons. At the end of the 1966 season, he was a career .310 hitter in over 7,000 career PAs. He raised his average 7 points from age 32 on, and would have continued raising it even further had he lived. From 1966 to 1972, age 31 to 37, he averaged 8.9 WAR per 162 games played. He'd made no plans to retire. His game was built to play into his early 40s. He was in absolutely ridiculous shape.

There's no romanticism involved. The guy was a fantastic player. He didn't hit home runs by choice. He felt that he helped his team more by hitting for average that going for home runs. He put the success of the team first. To suggest that he couldn't hit home runs like Aaron is silly. He tailored his game for the park he played most of his games in. But his power is legendary.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.