NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 07-21-2016, 10:23 AM
John

Default Eddie Price, Hugh McElhenny, Lenny Moore and other 50s Stars

I've been watching these "Time for Football" Tel Ra produced highlights I bought online and it's been great to see some of these players from the 50s in game action for the first time - not that I've never seen, say Lenny Moore highlights before, but its just different when the plays are in the context of a game. For example, the one I most recently watched, Moore already had several highlights in the game, then he broke a 70yd+ TD in the 4th qtr which held up as the game winning score. I may have seen the run before in NFL highlights, but it didn't have any context.

Then there was this one receiver on the Packers, Billy Howton, and he kept making play after play - finally at the end they mentioned 257 yards in a game was a new record. When I researched him, turned out he has lots of cards and he's a Packers HOFer.

The Rams Backfield impressed me too. Tank Younger was a Marion Motley type. They had Deacon Dan Towler who had speed and power and Skeets Quinlan was a nice surprise - made lots of big plays. If all you watched were highlights of some of the games I saw, you'd think he was the big star of the team. With Hirsch and Fears as well, I think you could argue their QBs had more to work with than the Browns or the Lions who were the big winners in terms of 50s championships.

Another player that really impressed and surprised me is Eddie Price. He was a FB with the Giants and he seemed to do everything well - run with both power and speed, block for guys like Frank Gifford, catch, etc. I can't articulate his running style, but there is something very noticeable about it - makes you say "wow, this guy is pretty good".

Anyone have any cards or memorabilia of other 50s stars? I actually had Price's 50 Bowman at one time, but no longer.

And speaking of running styles, one of the reasons I wanted to see the game film was Hugh McElHenney. He's really fun to watch and I've been impressed that he doesn't shy away from blocking duties. This is the only card I have:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52_McElhenny_Front_6.jpg (75.1 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 07-21-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:01 PM
shawn

Nice McElhenny. I'll add a 58 Lenny Moore. I've seen highlights, but not any actual game footage. Maybe i'll have to check em out.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:02 PM
shawn

oops. here it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58 Lenny Moore.JPG (76.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:58 AM
John

Thanks Shawn! Appreciate your jumping in.

Here's an article on Moore: http://profootballresearchers.com/ar.../24-05-957.pdf

Like McElhenny, he didn't have 1000 yard seasons or win rushing titles, but he could sure create some highlights and seemed to have a knack for a big play when it was needed. The 56 Packers game I saw highlights of is actually mentioned in the article.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:43 AM
Jeff P

Great thread! The Rams had some really good teams in the '50s. Their 1951 team that won the NFL Championship wasn't even their best team that decade but the only one that made it to the top.

jeff
Old 07-23-2016, 06:58 PM
Scott Gerace

Hi John,
I love the '50's era FB. By chance was the Lenny Moore game that you wrote about against the 49ers. I forget where I read it but in a big game against the Niners Moore carried like 5 times in a row and told Unitas that he was out of breath and Unitas called his number again and he broke it for a long TD. It may have been in '58.

I agree w/ you about Eddie Price being underrated as well. He has a rushing title and almost gained 1,000 yards when that meant something (1951).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956T_Moore (PSA 6).jpg (79.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 07-25-2016, 11:55 AM
John

Hey Jeff, Glad you jumped in. Great point about that the Rams got a title in 51. With the Browns, Lions, and later Colts, I think that tends to get lost in the decade's story. The Rams sure looked good on the videos I watched.

Scott, nice Lenny Moore rookie! The game I saw highlights on was this one: http://www.pro-football-reference.co...5610280clt.htm

from his rookie year against the Packers. Two long TD runs, 13 carries for 185 yards, not a bad days work. Did you check out Piascik's article that I linked to? I'm guessing the game you're thinking of is the same one he opens the article talking about.

I'm glad someone else heard of Eddie Price - he really impressed me. I took a look at his career too - he might be a good Hall of Very Good candidate.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 07-25-2016 at 12:04 PM.