NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Default How do you collect vintage graded cards?

I am fairly new here so apologies in advance if this has been discussed elsewhere. I was wondering how people collect graded cards for their vintage card collection. Personally, I collect what I like which are 1930's through 1941 cards and occasionally pick up tobacco cards. For the most part I look for cards that are in the PSA 4-PSA 5 range, and SGC 40 and above. Like most comments that I have read here, I look at the card first before I judge the worthiness of the grade on the slab and leave the top tier cards for the professionals out there.

Just curious to see the criteria people use to collect vintage cards.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I collect what I like, which is mostly 1920s when it comes to baseball cards.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-07-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Patrick N.

Default Singles

I tend to buy graded cards on high $ items like rookie cards as I prefer to have a 2nd opinion to verify authenticity/non-altered status. I think many t-cards too look nice in slabs as they are otherwise small in size...Also, let's face it many of the nicest cards have been sent in for graded so sometimes you just buy them 'cause their is a high grade/quality sample slabbed
Old 04-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default me?

I collect graded cards the same way I collect raw ones, mostly by eye appeal and if it is a set I really like *(or a type card I need, which is getting to be fewer and fewer).

I know this thread is only about collecting graded cards but I would recommend whatever your approach to graded would be the same for raw. What can beat the smell of raw cards in the morning!!

Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 PM
M!ke S@il£r

My collection of graded cards has been the result of a series of set projects I started, but never came close to finishing.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:10 PM

I go back an forth between being a set collector and just collecting individual cards I like. I suppose I do both.
JimB
Old 04-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Default t206

Hello

I am addicted to t206....there I said it!!

Peace

Johnny
Old 04-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Johnny S

You are doing the right thing by going by eye appeal as many that are a grade lower look much nicer than a grade higher and many times are nicer. One nice thing about the years you are collecting is the price jump between a 4 or 5 is nowhere near the gap of the cards 20-30 years earlier unless it's a Ruth or Gehrig or other premium card. Good luck and have fun !!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Larry

I collect stars and hall-of-famers, which gives me a lot of freedom to go after what I like, rather than being a slave to finishing this or that set, but that's just personal choice. Since I go after true rookies when I can, I also prefer them graded, generally due to the extra $$$ involved.

Also agree with the importance of eye appeal--cards that are pre-war can be very nice cards and far from near mint or better. Often times, an ex-graded card may be the best available for a really tough issue. With some, even that might not be possible (or might take a long, long time to acquire), as was the case with my 1947 Tip Top Bread Warren Spahn. This is a short print from a relatively rare set to begin with, and I had to settle for a PSA 1 (Mk). I almost passed on that one due to condition, until I checked the pop report and saw that a PSA one was the highest of any of the mere six examples it had graded.

But while the grades may be the same for different examples of the same card, the one with significantly better eye appeal will sell easier and for more $$ virtually every time.

There's a lot to enjoy here, whatever your focus. Best of luck in your hobby pursuits,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 04-07-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Larry

Default Postscript to Leon

Leon, what are you going to do when your type collection is finished? Hope that doesn't happen on 12/21/12--might mean the end is here for all of us!

Best regards,

Larry
Old 04-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default collect ones I like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Leon, what are you going to do when your type collection is finished? Hope that doesn't happen on 12/21/12--might mean the end is here for all of us!

Best regards,

Larry
I collect ancillary items to the cards and multiple cards from some sets...as well as a few sets themselves. There is always something to keep a collector interested in pre-war. I was speaking with a friend today about how fun it will be to do a catalog with my whole collection in it. I don't see it happening very soon though....
Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Larry

Default Coffee table book

It might make a very nice coffee table book, though Leon, with both some background text and color photos, and you wouldn't even have to sell a thing! Might even be a decent market for it.

Larry
Old 04-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Barry Arnold

Default collecting

after taming the monster, i focused on type collection:
1900-1939; T era packs; key photographers Conlon,Thompson,Bain, Van Oeyen,
Burke,
Brace---always hoping to get a photo with a matching card, e.g. T3 Paskert
and Conlon's Paskert.
I have all my types framed which keeps me from buying everything known to humankind and helps me truly buy favs.
Some are graded; some are not---usually depends on how much 'double' protection, i'm after.
All my T206s are framed for protection---mainly sgc, a few psa's and gai,
very few bvg's.
Don't much care what the grade is---some are 2's, some are
8's---and loads of others. Key criterion: i love 'em.
best of luck collecting,
barry