NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: How much of the satisfaction of collecting is the Ownership of an item?
10% 1 0.63%
20% 4 2.50%
30% 6 3.75%
40% 6 3.75%
50% 25 15.63%
60% 9 5.63%
70% 21 13.13%
80% 31 19.38%
90+% 54 33.75%
No percent, I don't care for the ownership at all.. 3 1.88%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default The Collecting "Ownership" by percentage......

How much does "ownership" count to you, as a percentage of the satisfaction of collecting?

Last edited by Leon; 03-05-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Mike Dugan

Leon- Run a poll asking how much "ownership" rates on satisfaction!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Leon- Run a poll asking how much "ownership" rates on satisfaction!
After some copying and deleting I think we have it. To me this parallels the other thread somewhat, but I am obviously not in alignment with some others. Interested to see the results though. I changed the original wording to say "satisfaction" instead of "fun".

Last edited by Leon; 03-05-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Should not the last poll choice in this one be.....

No, ownership means nothing to me. I destroy the cards on arrival.

(Just to be consistent with the title of this poll)?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Um, I think I will do as the Beatles sang and "Let it Be".
*And I add there have been a few edits to try to be more clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

Last edited by Leon; 03-05-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Joe

Why I collect? ..because the items I collect are "...not simply sentimental artifacts of ages past, but almost sacred relics that enable us to connect physically with the game's heroes and traditions...". I think this phrase puts it best for me.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:03 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Why I collect? ..because the items I collect are "...not simply sentimental artifacts of ages past, but almost sacred relics that enable us to connect physically with the game's heroes and traditions...". I think this phrase puts it best for me.
Totally agree with, and could not say it better, than Joe
Old 03-05-2016, 10:48 AM
je.sse @rnot

I'm not sure I could quantify ownership desire with a percentage, but that's the point of collecting, right? Otherwise we could just look at the cards in a museum. There's just something cool to me about owning cards or autographed memorabilia of the all time greats or childhood heroes.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

Frank always makes me laugh!!!
Old 03-05-2016, 10:57 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I'm not sure I could quantify ownership desire with a percentage, but that's the point of collecting, right? Otherwise we could just look at the cards in a museum. There's just something cool to me about owning cards or autographed memorabilia of the all time greats or childhood heroes.
I think some of the fun of collecting is the "hunt," hence the other poll. Many collectors sell a set after they complete it because the thrill is gone.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:01 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I think some of the fun of collecting is the "hunt," hence the other poll. Many collectors sell a set after they complete it because the thrill is gone.
Got it. I had not noticed the other poll until now. There is definitely a thrill of the hunt component for me as well. Perhaps I should not have selected 90% in this poll.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Craig Wright

We must owns them. We must owns them all, my precioussssssss. gollum gollum
Old 03-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I love owning too but, especially with esoteric things I had to have in my 1st collection, once I obtained an item the thrill for that item diminished greatly. It might go more towards a type collector mentality, since that is what I always have been (except when I was very young) with a sprinkling of set collecting. I needed some cards to further me towards completion but didn't care to own them. An enigma wrapped in a bologna sandwich.
And of course everyone collects to own or it wouldn't be collecting or would it?
Old 03-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Ben North

30% The hunt
60% The first month I own it
10% Sitting in my collection

That is my break down. I do really like the hunt of finding a near poor card to fit my vintage collection.

The first month I own cards I look at them and read the backs several times. I really like the feel of the raw cards in hand while I look at them. I recently got several vintage Bowman reprint sets and am really enjoying reading the back of them.

I do like looking at cards I have owned for a long time but they just don't have that coolness of just getting them in the mail.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Every month or so I find myself pulling cards out of the safe and just looking at them, arranging them in different ways. It's 20 minutes of feeling like a kid again; then I put them back. Those 20 minutes, for me, trump the hours I spend searching eBay, auctions, the BST, etc.

Great poll and question by the way.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:06 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Every month or so I find myself pulling cards out of the safe and just looking at them, arranging them in different ways. It's 20 minutes of feeling like a kid again; then I put them back. Those 20 minutes, for me, trump the hours I spend searching eBay, auctions, the BST, etc.

Great poll and question by the way.
Make this x2..I do the exact same thing here. I keep mine in a cardboard box and wrap the holders in sleeves or bubble wrap, to prevent scratches to the holder. What do you & others do to for storage-wise inside a safe??
Old 03-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Paul Lehr

For me its about 50-50.

It's 50% the hunt and 50% ownership.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:54 AM
pete ullman

Isn't the point of collecting to acquire and own things after all? I mean sure one could collect sans of cards...i've thought about it! Most of the enjoyment I get from my collection is from looking at high resolution scans on the computer anyway.

For me the thrill of collecting is the ownership. While I may not look at my cards all that often...there are always some scattered around in plain view.

The thrill is when I post scans...or hold my cards in my hands...knowing that these cards...ARE MINE...for now!!!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:00 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I love owning too but, especially with esoteric things I had to have in my 1st collection, once I obtained an item the thrill for that item diminished greatly. It might go more towards a type collector mentality, since that is what I always have been (except when I was very young) with a sprinkling of set collecting. I needed some cards to further me towards completion but didn't care to own them. An enigma wrapped in a bologna sandwich.
And of course everyone collects to own or it wouldn't be collecting or would it?
Sorry Leon, without noticing the other hunt poll I didn't have the proper context to respond to this one. This poll made much more sense after I saw both. I'd still say that owning and looking at the cards from time to time is the majority for me, but I do enjoy the hunt.

As Sam mentioned, with a lot of my favorite cards locked up at the bank most of the time, I get a lot of enjoyment now viewing them in that little room when I need to go to the bank to add or remove one, or decide I just want to bring a few home for a day or two.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

voted @ 90% on the hunt
voted @ 50% on the ownership

these are based off items that i really, really like to collect/the part that i tend to take kinda seriously...

hunt is definitely the best part of collecting for me.

the hunt itself is part of it, but having the will power to pass on a card that's ALMOST what i am looking for is very satisfying too. simply put, i'll know it when i see it. but then again there are those few times that i actually passed, but shouldn't have that haunt me as well. in the end, it's kinda demented but those are fun to me as well (in due time). basically, kicking myself in the a$$ and telling myself i was an idiot!

as for ownership, i kinda relate it to the ending scene of raiders of the lost ark. the one where indy risked life and limb to procure but in the end the ark is simply crated up and gets carted off to a warehouse simply to be stowed away.

not only that, after a few hours and the item is stowed i get a feeling of; "ok, now what?"

so for me, it's not about where you are going but how you get there or smelling the roses, etc.

if you ever did any touring, then you know most of the fun lies in the journey itself from town to town vs the actual concerts themselves.

Last edited by begsu1013; 03-06-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:23 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default as a Floridian at this point

I guess it's OK that I voted 60% in the other poll and then opened this thread and voted 80%. This one a bit harder to quantify because in the end - although I could live without any of my pieces if it really came down to it - the happy ending is finding the item - assuming you still want it :-)
Old 03-10-2016, 06:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Ownership!!

Ownership? I received this message from Heritage a few days ago. I like ownership too!! He stayed!!

Dear Leon,

An anonymous Heritage client has made an offer of $30,000 ($27,000.00 after Heritage's commission of *10% ($40 minimum per lot)) on the following item (which our records indicate you currently own).

Our records indicate that on May 16th, 2015 you bought the item for $22,705.00 from Heritage Auctions. If you accept, you will receive 18.9% more than what you originally paid.

You are responsible for the cost of safely transporting and insuring the item to Heritage’s Dallas office. If the item is fragile or requires special shipping, you are encouraged to employ the services of a specialty shipper in your area.

You have 72 hours to anonymously Reject Instantly | Accept or Counter the offer.

You can also set asking prices and minimum offers, flag this item as Not Taking Offers or Not Mine so that you won’t receive any further offers, or Disable All Offers for your account, and turn them back on at any time from your My Collection home page.

1909-11 E90-1 American Caramel Cy Young/Boston PSA NM 7 - The Highest Graded Example! We could not have picked a better card to close out this phenomenal set. Not only is Cy Young one o...

How do I opt-out of offers, or what if I don't own this?
You can disable offers globally or individually for any item in your My Collection that was sold by Heritage at auction.

*What is this?
Heritage clients now have the opportunity to make an anonymous offer to the owner of items purchased at auction from Heritage, through our Auction Results Archives. Heritage manages the transaction, maintaining privacy for both parties. Acceptance of an offer by owner/seller represents agreement with the terms and conditions of sale, including Heritage's 10% commission ($40 minimum per lot) (compared with a 12%-25% Buyer's Premium charged on auction transactions), which will be deducted from the payment. This service is free to the buyer (no buyer's premium), includes a 7 day return policy on non-graded items, protects the identity of both parties, and allows offers and counter-offers. The item being sold must be in the same condition as when it was purchased from Heritage. In the case of certified items, the item must reside in the original certification holder and/or be accompanied by all letters/certificates of authenticity. The owner will receive payment for items sold within 30 days of Heritage's receipt of the item. Because no Buyer's Premium is charged on Make Offer to Owner transactions, auction consignment discount coupons are invalid. Because of the minimum $40 commission per lot, all items previously sold for under $500 will show as 'Not Taking Offers' unless changed by the owner. To activate Make Offer buttons on all of your purchases under $500, click here.

Heritage Client Services
MakeOfferArchive@HA.com
Heritage Auctions
3500 Maple Ave. 17th Floor
Dallas, TX 75219-3941
1-800-872-6467

Last edited by Leon; 03-10-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:58 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

classic.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:17 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I love the chase or hunt .

Then I love the ownership .

But I also love a good sale !!!!💸💰💸💰💵💴
Old 03-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
I think you absolutely nailed it!

Great post,

Larry