NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Default OT - I know there are many attorneys on the board. I have some questions.

Posted By: Zach S.

If anyone deals in criminal law could you please email me. I have a couple of questions. Thanks in advance.

Zach S.
zachariah525@yahoo.com

Old 07-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Default OT - I know there are many attorneys on the board. I have some questions.

Posted By: peter chao

Does this deal with state law or federal law. If it is state law which state are we talking about.

Peter

Old 07-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Peter, do question marks offend you? When you strike the keyboard on the 'period' button is it less stressful for you than if you would strike the 'question mark' button? Do you only possess one hand - thus making it tough to press the shift button simultaneous to the question mark button? Did the Unabomber get you with one of his packages?

Old 07-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Jeff,

Your picking on Peter, don't you think.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Rob, where on earth did you come up with such a ridiculous thought. Your nuts.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Jeff? Why does Peter's grammer bother you, Are you implying that Peter may not do an acceptable job in preparing briefs! "."Are you finding fault with Peter's logic." Is this just punctuation envy;

Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Jay Why do you say that. Your as crazy as Rob dont you think. These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

You guys are relentless.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Jeff,

Shouldn't you have a question mark after, "...don't you think?"

Peter

Old 07-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Maybe the dingo ate your baby.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Jeff,

I'm very fond of them. Thanks for mentioning them.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

tHAT- "Rob-Jeff-Jay-Jeff" exchange had me laughing out loud so hard it was embarassing?."*

you guys: are so funny ?... GooD STuFF>

Old 07-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: P Spaeth

Peter C., he left it off deliberately as a tribute to you.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

What did he leave off.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: P Spaeth

The question mark??

Old 07-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

<Peter, do question marks offend you?

Why is he so upset. Anyone have any idea.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Well..sounds like Jeff is just in a mood today....slow day at work or something who knows...

But, Peter did this to himself. Peter has been tinkering for months with this type of grammar on the board.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Did you happen to notice my punctuation. I rarely mess up on that....maybe apostrophes, but those little suckers are like a Freudian slip for me ......

Old 07-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Administrator

We could all pick apart each other's grammar or we could discuss topics related to baseball cards. I'm amazed at the amount of time spent nitpicking here...I admit that sometimes I have no clue what Peter C is trying to convey, but when it is obvious just answer the question or move along. How hard is that?

I'm sure a lot of you guys are amused at being the third, fourth or the fiftieth poster in a thread to make the same lame joke, but it isn't funny anymore.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

Zach, what's up? I am not a lawyer, but live right here in La Madd and know several JAGS that can maybe be of help. Drop down to Port Ops tomorrow and ask for the Port Ops Officer, will be at the site around 9 AM.

Welcome back from sea the other day! Always fun to fire up the tugs and go get you guys. Dan... aka, LT

Old 07-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

It just isn't funny any more? Anyone else agree.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Guys,

Who said it was funny. Do you see me laughing.

Jeff

Old 07-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Notice I haven't even made a single grammar or spelling remark on this thread, not even Jeff's omission of a question mark in his last post?

Old 07-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

I know I am politically incorrect but I thought it was funny....and Jeff- I saw you laughing. I think Peter C (hey Peter) can take it...as I can take getting repeatedly corrected about my apostrophes.....all I can say is "lighten up Francis"........no harm meant...and I hope Peter C makes the National....I bet he's fun to hoot and holler with..It's cards guys....we are all friends and family.....best regards

Old 07-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

Jeff Lichtman, Spikes Flying?

Old 07-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark M

Perhaps someone deserves a break from the grammar police if English is not his or her first language.

As far as I know, Peter C. is one of just two people on this forum to have graduated from a Top Eight U.S. law school (Peter S. being the other). That's impressive enough, but even more so when one considers that English was not his first language (I think).

Old 07-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator

I appreciate you guys trying to help me out. But I really don't mind, I've been raked over the coals by nasty judges, so a little friendly ribbing doesn't bother me.

Peter

Old 07-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

The people who need to "lighten up" are the ones who can't let a spelling error or grammar mistake go by without commenting on it. If you think that allowing stuff like that to continue on this board will increase the participation then by all means you guys go ahead and blast away at every spelling/grammar mistake.

Peter has shown he can take it, but I wonder how many lurkers or newbies are too intimidated to participate because they may be ridiculed not for their lack of baseball card knowledge, but for incorrect punctuation.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Dan- perhaps you're right.

I just wish everyone took a little more pride in making certain that their posts were presented as clearly as possible. Forget about spelling- many times I read someone's post and I don't even understand what he is saying.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Mark, I just checked US News and World Report and I graduated from a top 10 law school as well. Now crawl back under your rock, please.

Edited to add: Mark, you're hilarious. You actually edited your post to change "top ten" to "top eight" after you checked US News & World Report's rankings. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were in love with me. Sorry, but I'm taken.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Being from a top 10 law school and two bucks will almost get you a cup of espresso at Starbucks.

Peter

Old 07-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Peter, I remember as a young lawyer I had my law school diploma framed on the wall in my office (the framed copy was about the size of a small car) and a client of the firm walked in, took a look at it and remarked, "Who cares where you went to law school?" Mortified, I took it down, put it away and honestly have no clue where it is now. The only contact I have with my law school is the multitude of times they call me yearly to hit me up for cash.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

College graduates using the wrong forms of your/you're or there/their/they're, et al, does not reflect happily on our educational system or society. And why this is so, is not something that should have to be explained to anyone.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark M

Jeff, what is this "crawl back under your rock" stuff? Are you saying I don't have a right to post here?

Old 07-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Bob- we agree on that point, and I maintain if posters just took an extra moment to proofread their text before they hit the "respond" button many of those errors would be corrected.

You can be sure that I do, especially since if I make even a tiny error I will never hear the end of it!

Old 07-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Add me to the list of those who thinks Jeff picks on Pete. It's getting old.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Yes, Barry, like it or not, you're under the microscope.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

Did we ever figure out which jail Zach sent the orginal message from?

(Grammatically, I don't think one is suppose to end a sentence with "from" but you know what I mean.)

Old 07-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Everyone that will put their name by a post always has a right to voice their opinion. Even though my humor and thoughts differ from many I would hope that everyone will always feel this is a very open and fair forum. Jeff, Mark, Barry, Peter C and S, and everyone else...all have a right to be on this board. As long as you come here to talk about cards and related issues then you are welcome. I guess I need to tone down my own feelings sometimes as they tend to hold more weight since I am the moderator. I will try to behave better in the future....my apology to anyone I might have offended..And if anyone is going to crawl under a rock I will lead the way .... best regards

edited to add an apostrophe and I probably messed it up...

Old 07-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator

(Grammatically, I don't think one is suppose to end a sentence with "from" but you know what I mean.)
Two ways to deal with this:
1) Churchill's method-
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."
2) The Brute Force method-
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something which I will not put up with, a$$hole."

Old 07-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the Family, now you can be insulted like the rest of us. Today, I've been insulted because I don't insert question marks. Even worst than that on another thread, a Board Member compared my intelligence to George Bush Jr., now that was really below the belt.

Peter

By the way, Zach, did we answer your question yet.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Administrator

"By the way, Zach, did we answer your question yet."
Your doing this on purpose, right.

You're doing this on purpose, right?

Old 07-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Leon- your apostrophes are correct! You've made me proud.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator

I'm just going to believe that this thread is some weird homage to Shoeless Joe.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Bob, if only....

Old 07-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach S.

I can't believe this turned into what it turned into... but, it's pretty funny. No, I'm not in jail I have had a couple of email responses and I'll probably follow up my question using that route. Thanks to the guys who sent emails offering to answer my ? and thanks to everyone else for the entertainment value of the thread.

Zach S.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I enjoy reading this board regularly, and have posted occasionally (not heaps, but I have just started with baseball cards).

I must say that I cannot believe what I am reading in this thread.

Grammar corrections, personal attacks and posts that have nothing to do with the orignal topic of the thread. Is this for real or is there some sort of in house joke that I'm not getting ?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator

A little bit of both. Grammar and spelling do count, thanks to yours truly, but we hopefuly do it in a way that isn't too insulting to anyone (but I know not everyone likes it).

Old 07-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Administrator

There is mostly a little ebb and flow in this thread that happens every now and then on the board. Nothing radically different than many other threads and I am sure more tame than some other chat boards. You wouldn't believe it but there is a large minority that like to see some internal cat fighting....Personally, I could do without it but I have been known to join in too...so shame on me.....With the National coming up about 55-60 of us board participants will be breaking bread and having a cold beverage together. It's all good..... There are very few folks who really really hate others on this board. A little bickering isn't a big deal, imho.....If it gets out of hand I will invoke "board rules" too .....take care and welcome to our home.....

Old 07-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

To be honest, it doesn't really bother me. Nothing anybody says on an internet chat board is ever going to affect me personally, but this thread just seemed a little odd.

I can't understand why people would like to create an online "fight" with others when we are all here for the same reason - to discuss the hobby.

But anyway, each to their own, and I don't need to add anything further to this thread - so now it's time to read the others !