NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-26-2009, 10:48 AM

Default Eugene Napoleon DeMontreville-help

I just acquired the T210 Series 8 of Eugene DeMontreville of New Orleans. Since this was the final year of his baseball career, which began in 1894, I wondered if he was depicted on any other baseball card. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Frank Wakefield

Hey Bill....

If you'll post a scan of the card so we can all admire it, then I'll tell you that Gene DeMontreville is in the E107 series one. And I think he might part of a team or season display on a Harper's Woodcut, but I am probably mistaken on that. And he's in the 1990 Target issue that I think tried to depict all of the Dodgers, Gene was with Brooklyn in 1900.

But I'm not telling you any of that until you post a scan.

Also, once the scan is up... what about that 1898 Baltimore team he was on? What stars!!!!

manager Ned Hanlon
catcher Wilbert Robinson
1st Dan McGann
2nd Gene DeMontreville
ss Hughie Jennings
3b John McGraw
of Willie Keeler
of Joe Kelley
of Ducky Holmes

Now that is one stellar bunch of ballplayers. 6 HOFers, and one who could be... Obviously, anyone exposed to that baseball knowledge must have managed. Post that scan and I'll mention that Gene managed in the Eastern League in 1903, and in 1912 for a Cotton States League team that was both in New Orleans (the Little Pets) and also Yazoo City (the Zoos).

Now how about a scan?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Frank Wakefield

So where's that scan??

Gene's 1894 team was the Pittsburg Pirates.... Connie Mack catching, Jake Beckley at first, Jack Glasscock at short, Red Ehret (an old Louisville player) pitched. A fellow could learn from those guys.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Here's what Gene was featured on during his career...

DeMontreville, Eugene N. (Gene)
• 1903/04 E107 DeMont
• 1899/1900 M101-1
• 1898 National Copper Plate
• 1910 T210-8 E. DeMontreville
• 1910 T211 E. DeMontreville

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 PM

Which DeMontreville?
Maybe while you guys are on the subject, you can answer a question for me.
Are these the same guy? Brothers? What?
Thanks,

Btw, I never got an answer as to how to post an image that only forum members can see. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Tsaiko; 09-03-2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: ImageShack lost an image for some reason. Also wanted to try the other method for attaching files.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:24 PM

The one on the right is the version I have. He had a brother but I think both of the T210 Series 8 are of Gene. Thanks everyone for the quick response!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Frank Wakefield

This is Bill's card... best I can do with what he sent me. We need to send him a teenager so he can learn software and hardware.

Great card, Bill!!!!

I think both cards depict Gene. His younger brother, Leon or "Lee", played for St. Louis in a few games in 1903. Lee's last year in organized ball seems to have been 1905, with Charleston in the Sally League, as a player manager. (He'd have seen that scrappy kid with Augusta in 1905, Ty Cobb.

So I think that both cards show Gene. There was only one DeMontreville with New Orleans in 1909 and 1910, Gene, or Eugene.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I have often wondered if the card titled "De Montreville" actually depicts Gene or not. It seems odd that they would make the distinction of adding the first initial for the "E. De Montreville" card unless they were trying to distinguish between 2 different guys. I also collect Zeenuts and in those sets when there is someone with the first initial or first name listed it is almost always to differentiate between two players with the same last name (usually on the same team).
Example:

The two cards could very well both be of Eugene, but could it be possible that Leon (his younger brother) possibly signed witht he team only not to make the team as a comeback attempt in baseball? I have obviously not done any research about it but it might be up someone's alley to do so.

-Rhett

Old 10-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default hit the "manage attachments" tab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post
Btw, I never got an answer as to how to post an image that only forum members can see. What am I doing wrong?
If you post scans using the "manage attachments" tab located right below these message boxes, when posting a scan, then only members that are logged in can see them....
Old 10-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Frank Wakefield

Gene played in the majors for 11 years, had over 1000 hits, had 228 stolen bases, being adept at the delayed steal. Lee was in New Orleans at the end of a fairly respectable baseball career, deserving of inclusion in the Old Mill red border set. Lee was done with baseball with the 1905 season, he had been injured earlier in his career in a trolly car accident. I think both cards are Gene.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Frank, you may very well be right, as I said before.

That being said however, every other instance in the T210 series when there is a first initial it is there to distinguish between 2 different people w/ the same last names on the same team. I still feel like it should be looked into a bit more.
-Rhett

Old 10-26-2009, 04:18 PM
JeR@Me

Default De Montreville

I think it is meant to be 2 different De Montreville's. Perhaps a cousin, or a token addition to the roster at the time the cards were produced for the washed up brother. I am with Rhett, way too obvious to list one with intial, and one without... I would be satisfied after looking through the season's box scores for New Orleans... Of course, that chore may take awhile. I might not dispute that they are the same person in the pictures, but my gut tells me there was a second De Mont relative playing in some capacity... Could the Brother have been an assistant coach... Possibly a third brother or Cousin !?!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Frank Wakefield

In looking at the minor league database, I see only one DeMontreville with New Orleans in 1910. I agree that use of an initial would be the sensible way to distinguish between players, generally.

I wonder what it says on T211. From looking at Mr. Lipset's Red Sun list, there are 2 DeMontreville cards, one with an E in front, one without.

If the younger brother Lee, who was up only one year in the majors, had still been playing when T210s and T211s were issued, then I could see how one could be Lee, and the other one a card for a coach brother, or a cousin. But as it is, Gene was well known when he played with New Orleans in 1909 and 1910; while the only other DeMontreville who played in the minors was Lee, who was done with the 1905 season. So I still think that's 2 cards for one player. And I understand why you guys don't think so...

There has to be some link between the big border T210s and the big border T211s. Some of the big border players have T206 cards, too. Here, with DeMontreville, at least one of those has the big red border. I can't be sure on the E card...
Old 10-26-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If you post scans using the "manage attachments" tab located right below these message boxes, when posting a scan, then only members that are logged in can see them....
Cool, thanks Leon.