NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 AM

Default autographed topps set/run?

Hi,

I'm debating putting a topps autograph set together. Anyone else in the same boat? Any tips, advice, or cool articles about the topic would be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:11 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

What year might help, you could end up with a heart attack or in the nut house going after a signed 52 topps set

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 AM

haha maybe mid 70s through 80s is 52 impossible?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:54 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

there has NOT been at one of every 1952 topps cards authenticated, so it is possible? I have many 1/1 cards so they do exist, its just a question of having them all in the same room!

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 11-17-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:25 AM

I read an article in Beckett Vintage Magazine a few years back about the popularity of getting 1958 Topps autographed and the scarcity (non-existance) of a signed '58 Dixie Howell, who died in April 1960, and Dick Farrell who lived in the UK after retirement and died in the '70's. Certain cards from these sets do not exist. 1970 Topps, for example had 3 rookie cards of guys that died in 1970 - Herm Hill, Paul Edmondson, and Miguel Fuentes. No way authentic sig's of these players exist on Topps cards.

76-78 would be near impossible because of Bostock. Same with 71-76 Danny Thompson. Anything Munson would be very expensive, if not questionable. Collecting signed cards would be fun, but any set from the 70's would be near impossible.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 PM

thanks, that is awesome info. may be going for near sets. any other collectors enjoy this type of collecting 70's or 80s sets
Old 03-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Mark

I've seen sets of the 1964 Topps Giant signed. I would think collecting an older set all signed would REALLY test patience.

The closest I've tried to collecting an autographed set of something is 8x10 photos of all 43 players who played for the 1969 Cubs. I'm still five photos away (Joe Decker, Dick Selma, Hank Aguirre, Charlie Smith, Randy Bobb) with Randy Bobb proving to be almost impossible.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:28 AM
Scott

I am seven cards short of completing the 1978 set. There are maybe three or four dozen tricky cards. Most sets have that one or two cards that are almost impossible. In 1978, it's Bostock (have it) and Munson (don't).

Easiest way to start is to try to buy some large lots early on. Usually can get for a couple bucks a card. Then build from there.

But before you start:

Check eBay completed auctions to get an idea of what cards are difficult and how much you could end up spending to complete a set.

Think about what would make you happy as far as signatures. Would you want them all ball point or sharpie. That could make it a lot more difficult.

What about cards that have two or more players - would you want all signatures on the same card? That will really drive up your price certain years.

And what about team cards, look-back cards, etc.?

Thinking all this through before you start will really let you get a better idea of a set fits your budget and if it is really feasible. It will also save you a lot of money.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:10 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquiresports View Post
I am seven cards short of completing the 1978 set. There are maybe three or four dozen tricky cards. Most sets have that one or two cards that are almost impossible. In 1978, it's Bostock (have it) and Munson (don't).
Hey, what 1978's are you missing? Don't have my man Munson, but I have a good amount of others that I got through the mail way back when. Some HOF'ers and stars are in my bucket and I also have a bunch of others that aren't pictured there. I'm always looking to trade.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:10 AM

Great info. love hearing about the tough/impossible cards for a certain year. I'm leaning towards collecting auto cards that have been already certified by psa/dna red or blue flip doesn't matter much to me. I just dont trust a signed raw card unless i needed it bad and would take a chance for cheap i guess.

Any auto will do for me as far as pen or sharpie.

How do you guys or people in general handle the team cards or say a card with aaron and ruth. i suppose in that situation id be happy with just the aaron auto.

with multi rookie cards should i get one copy each with one sig, or wait to get one copy with all sigs. or just count the card as signed if it is by the main player/players.

love to hear your thoughts advice.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:24 PM

That would be epic.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Jim Smiley

Default Complete autographed set(s) to trade

Just completed the five autographed sets I've been working on for nearly 30 years -- 85, 86, 87 Topps, 86 Donruss, 87 Fleer. With so many of the same players, I'd like to entertain a trade with someone who has a different year. If anyone is interested and able, let me know.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:01 PM
J Ryan
Banned

I know on another forum that almost has 1987 completed
Old 02-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Tom

Default Autograph collection

I have been working on a collection of deceased players for 30 years now. Here are a few that I have secured. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (67.0 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (74.3 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (76.9 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (68.9 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (73.1 KB, 318 views)
Old 02-02-2015, 05:20 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTB View Post
Hi,

I'm debating putting a topps autograph set together. Anyone else in the same boat? Any tips, advice, or cool articles about the topic would be appreciated.
Good luck and let us know what set you decide upon. I don't really have any great tips advice or cool articles , but hope some of the others who have been so successful can pass on some tips on how to acquire the autos.

I stumbled into attempting 94 pinnacle and 95 ud cc se . I've only bought cards thru eBay , asking eBay sellers if they have any not listed then buying directly, and received several ttm . I'm roughly half way thru each set after about 3 years. I did finally buy Harvey Meislemans address list last spring and sent out over 300 ttm requests in July . I only received maybe 60 or so back from that effort. They are still barely trickling in.

Seeing how slowly my mid nineties sets are going, I'm amazed at those who completed sets from the 70,s and eighties. WOW
Old 02-02-2015, 07:58 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

For the 87t guys, what did you do about Ricky Wright?

I've heard he's never signed one

Old 02-02-2015, 08:07 AM

Not Topps, but someone has a 76 Hostess signed set on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-HOSTESS...item5d52b425dc
Old 02-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Andrew

Default 1987 Topps Autographed Set In Progress

I am roughly 300 cards away from completing a signed 1987 Topps set. I started in June 2014 and have been working steadily ever since. My recommendations would echo that of some of the other folks posting:
1.) Every set is going to have a "white whale" player or two. For 1987 Topps it is Dick Howser (who passed away in June of 1987) and Ricky Wright (who will not sign his card (although a graded version was sold 3-4 years ago for an insane price).
2.) For team leader cards I go for a signature of at least one of the folks depicted.
3.) I would recommend buying graded cards for your "star" players but would go ungraded for most commons or minor stars.
4.) I was a AAA batboy in the early 90's so I have a good number of autographs from the era. I try to find ebay sellers who have the same folks I secured autographs from in-person so I can compare the signatures and determine who is a reputable seller (I mean who is going to forge a Mike Kingery autograph and list it for $1.76 BIN?).

My question for the rest of the set collectors is do you have anyone sign the checklists? I would love to secure an 1987 Topps checklist signed by Sy Berger if there are any out there.

Thanks!
Andrew
5.)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:32 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBatBoy View Post
Ricky Wright
5.)
Wright is a Rube
Old 02-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Mark

Not being an autographed card collector I am unschooled in this specialty.

I do, however, have a Dick Howser autographed 1986 card. I got in during spring training in 1987. He died several months after this. I didn't have any 1987 cards at that time.

My question is, should spend the dollars to have it PSA certified or is it just not worth it. I know a 1987 Dick Howser card is silly expensive....I just don't know about a 1986 card.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
Not being an autographed card collector I am unschooled in this specialty.

I do, however, have a Dick Howser autographed 1986 card. I got in during spring training in 1987. He died several months after this. I didn't have any 1987 cards at that time.

My question is, should spend the dollars to have it PSA certified or is it just not worth it. I know a 1987 Dick Howser card is silly expensive....I just don't know about a 1986 card.
Can you post a scan of the card?
Old 02-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Mark

Here's a scan of my 1986 Howser card. I sit worth doing anything with?

BTW I also have a Dan Quisenberry from that same year. I was able to grab a number of Royals players (including George Brett)

Last edited by darkhorse9; 02-03-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Jim Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
For the 87t guys, what did you do about Ricky Wright?

I've heard he's never signed one
Looked for Ricky Wright since 1987 and finally found one about a year ago. It was the last card I needed to complete the set.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:57 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Cheers on finishing the set! Any set is not without its complications. I'm still searching for signed 52s and even the huge lots that come up, I only need one or two

Old 12-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Mike Dugan

Certainly nothing along the lines of a signed set but a few years ago I started working on getting one or two pages of signed cards from each set from 1952 on up.

I just add the pages at the back of each binder, kind of adds some touch with the game for each season?
Old 12-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Jim Parker

Hi all....I know someone who wishes to remain anonymous that has a full 52 topps (407) set autographed....he built it in the early-mid 50s with help from his dad when he was a kid. he lived in nj and one of the equip managers for the yankees lived on his block, so his dad was able to arrange quite a few autographs from yankees and visiting ballplayers. it is an amazing collection and under the radar / off the grid.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:43 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerj33 View Post
Hi all....I know someone who wishes to remain anonymous that has a full 52 topps (407) set autographed....he built it in the early-mid 50s with help from his dad when he was a kid. he lived in nj and one of the equip managers for the yankees lived on his block, so his dad was able to arrange quite a few autographs from yankees and visiting ballplayers. it is an amazing collection and under the radar / off the grid.

That's amazing! I'm not saying your guy is lying but many players were no longer on the teams after the 51 season. There are a few I'd pay money just to see. Its comforting in the fact that it might actually be possible. There are a few very advanced collectors who claim it is not possible, and I'd love the personal satisfaction of just knowing they are wrong. No use arguing, just sit back and agree

Old 12-09-2015, 02:29 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
What would this set go for at auction? $500k?

Last edited by sbfinley; 12-09-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Be.n C0z1n

For the 87 topps set, why is Ricky Wright not willing to sign? Just curious if there was a particular reason.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:13 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

A Complete PSA red flip graded signed 52 set I'd imagine it would be around over 200k.

It would depend on the quality of the Mantle, which might carry about 25% of the total price.

A psa graded red flip partial signed set recently sold for 37,500 and was missing some really tough key cards as well as the Mantle, Jackie, Campy, Mathews, and Wilhelm, and early deaths

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 08-23-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Jay T.

I might suggest if you are seeking an autographed set, start off with a set like 1975 or 1976 Hostess.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Sweet Jesus, that's impressive!