NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-05-2019, 02:06 PM

Default Favorite CFL cards!!

Hello All,

Not sure if there are any Canadian Football Vintage card collectors on the forum, but thought I would try. Show me your favorite Vintage CFL cards!!

Mine are easy being a Saskatchewan Roughriders fan!! Ron Lancaster and George Reed.

Troy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961_Topps_RLancaster_RC_PSA8_F.jpg (76.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 1965_Topps_GReed_RC_PSA7_RC.jpg (88.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 09-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Grant Rainsley

I don't think you will find a ton of CFL types here.....but here Angelo looks like he is getting the form just right for that late hit on Willie in the '63 Grey Cup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CFL.jpg (77.8 KB, 78 views)
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 09-06-2019, 05:37 AM
Jeff P

Cool cards, guys! I don't collect CFL either but love looking at them.

jeff
Old 09-06-2019, 09:41 AM
Grant Rainsley

Here are a couple for both Troy and Jeff.......with a story. Bruce Gainer played with the Riders in the early '70's during their powerhouse era. Said they were an incredibly tight team, likely due to leadership by Ronnie and George. He now lives in sleepy Powell River, B.C., where I do, and I have been lucky enough to hook up with him at the Legion for a beer or three.....and he loved my questions, one of which was "What did you manage to keep from your playing days?" Nothing, much to his regret. He had two issues, OPC/Sargent stickers and a Gulf Oil promo photo. I got the Sargent, but am still looking for the Gulf issue for him. The big guy got a little misty when I presented it to him over a beer. Just a great moment. (By the way, the Riders mascot is named Gainer. Not after Bruce though, it is an anagram of Regina.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bruce Gainer OPC.jpg (66.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Bruce Gainer.jpg (77.9 KB, 69 views)
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 09-06-2019, 10:18 AM
Neal

Here are my few in my PC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1963 Topps Kapp PSA 8.jpg (76.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 1963 Topps CFL parker PSA 9.jpg (77.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 1963 Post Cereal Mosca PSA 9.jpg (83.3 KB, 68 views)
Old 09-06-2019, 01:11 PM

Default Cool Story!!!

That is awesome Grant!!! My family are all die hard riders fans and it was never told to me how Gainer got his name. Cool!! I played University Football for the Calgary Dinos many years ago and at our fundraising event I got the honour of meeting George and Ron. It was a thrill of a lifetime for me!!

Cool pics everyone!!

Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainsley View Post
Here are a couple for both Troy and Jeff.......with a story. Bruce Gainer played with the Riders in the early '70's during their powerhouse era. Said they were an incredibly tight team, likely due to leadership by Ronnie and George. He now lives in sleepy Powell River, B.C., where I do, and I have been lucky enough to hook up with him at the Legion for a beer or three.....and he loved my questions, one of which was "What did you manage to keep from your playing days?" Nothing, much to his regret. He had two issues, OPC/Sargent stickers and a Gulf Oil promo photo. I got the Sargent, but am still looking for the Gulf issue for him. The big guy got a little misty when I presented it to him over a beer. Just a great moment. (By the way, the Riders mascot is named Gainer. Not after Bruce though, it is an anagram of Regina.)
Old 09-06-2019, 02:23 PM
Bob Andrews

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0003.jpg

I only have a handful, nothing as sweet as the ones posted already. Mine has more of a sentimental attachment than anything else. It's fantasy football related so feel free to move on I posted the story on my blog a few years ago. I've cut-and-pasted it below. Sorry for being long-winded.

----------------------

Those of you that can't remember life before the internet will have to trust me when I say that back in the Dark Ages not everyone had the latest football info or up-to-the-minute cheat sheets and depth charts. Most guys bought a copy of Street and Smith Football or a similar magazine printed months earlier and drafted from the dated info it contained. Drafting a guy who'd been cut the week before wasn't unusual, especially if you didn't track the transactions in the paper every day.

If you made the effort to find a Pro Football Weekly season preview issue you were way ahead of most everyone else. Those things usually hit the shelves a day or so before the draft. I can remember checking for it at some pretty sketchy downtown Houston "newsstands" the night before the draft.

Given all that I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise when, during the first round of our 1984 draft, one of our owners took Dolphin runningback David Overstreet. He's been a star at the University of Oklahoma, played a couple of seasons with Montreal of the CFL (including a Rookie of the Year 1981 campaign) and, after finally settling his contract issues with Miami, showed promise with the '83 Dolphins.

Then as now runningbacks were a valued fantasy commodity and drafting a young star in a keeper league like ours could pay dividends for years. So, all in all, Oversteet made sense as a first round pick. Except for one small detail. David Overstreet, you see, had died about three months prior to our draft when he ran off the road on a north Texas highway and plowed his car into a gas pump island.

The instant the Overstreet pick was announced by the sadly out-of-touch owner eleven sets of eyes locked on him. I guess we wanted to see if he was making a poor attempt at fantasy football draft humor. After a few seconds it was apparent that he had made a serious pick of Overstreet and hilarity ensued.

I'm not proud of it, Overstreet's death was the cutting short of a promising life and he left behind a young son, but I have to admit that the 1984 Ed Hughes League draft will forever live on among our league's treasured moments.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:43 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

The 1959 General Mills Wheaties cards look awesome! Anyone have a complete set for sale? Send me PM!