NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Garth Guibord

Default Jeter SP Foil auction

Didn't see another thread on this auction (or the story about it), so I thought I'd get one started.

Pretty crazy money for that card, especially comparing the PSA population of grade 10 (22) with those of the Ryan and Jackson in same grade (1 each).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidse.../#1d23cc5e4519
Old 05-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

The flip is all.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:11 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
Didn't see another thread on this auction (or the story about it), so I thought I'd get one started.

Pretty crazy money for that card, especially comparing the PSA population of grade 10 (22) with those of the Ryan and Jackson in same grade (1 each).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidse.../#1d23cc5e4519

No comparison between the three cards.

Jeter is undoubtedly the most popular Yankee player since Mantle.

He's up there in the Yankee Pantheon with Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle.

He played his entire career with the Yankees.

He performed both regular-, and post-season heroics.

He's the Yankees' all-time leader in hits, plus probably a few other categories.

He's pictured on his RC as a Yankee, and it is his alone; he doesn't share it with anyone else.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 05-12-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

The Jeter is the most important card issued in the past 50 years, according to Brent Huigens, PWCC’s CEO.

Hmmmm... Jordan rookie?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-12-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:49 PM
St@n Go.len

Maybe its the modern day Mantle? Maybe thats blasphemy. Not hard to find but for a modern card its condition sensitive....def can see the premium for a 10.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2018, 04:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-SP-Foi...YAAOSw9V5a7la8

Sorry to me this is stupid as hell. Flip buying at its absolute finest.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-12-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:05 PM
Steve Birmingham

If he hadn't played in NY, that would maybe be a couple hundred.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:10 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The Jeter is the most important card issued in the past 50 years, according to Brent Huigens, PWCC’s CEO.

Hmmmm... Jordan rookie?
That line stood out to me as well. Even though Brent didn't not state this in his reply, I guess maybe he was just talking about baseball. Otherwise, the comment is just silly. The '86 Fleer Jordan card is iconic.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:11 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Wow, 874 watchers. LOL.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
That line stood out to me as well. Even though Brent didn't not state this in his reply, I guess maybe he was just talking about baseball. Otherwise, the comment is just silly. The '86 Fleer Jordan card is iconic.
Obviously it's cheap but I would argue the 89 Griffey is more important than the SP Jeter.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:46 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Obviously it's cheap but I would argue the 89 Griffey is more important than the SP Jeter.
I would agree with that. i had not thought of that card at the time.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
PWCC also has an SP Johnny Damon PSA 10. Damon's numbers of course were inferior to Jeters, but not by as much as you might think. HIS card is currently $70 or so.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-SP-Foi...IAAOSwcmZa7lZx

Old 05-12-2018, 08:45 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-SP-Foi...YAAOSw9V5a7la8

Sorry to me this is stupid as hell. Flip buying at its absolute finest.
That set was extremely condition sensitive. The total population for 10s at only 22, assuming that's the correct number, is very low by modern standards. It's not hard to see a difference between most 9s and 10s in hand. You will usually see chipping on the boarder and/or corners.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
That set was extremely condition sensitive. The total population for 10s at only 22, assuming that's the correct number, is very low by modern standards. It's not hard to see a difference between most 9s and 10s in hand. You will usually see chipping on the boarder and/or corners.
OK. And?

We are talking $66K (so far). For a Derek Jeter?

Old 05-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

For $300 or whatever I paid, I am content with this one. Feel free to point out the terrible flaws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jetersp.jpg (74.6 KB, 348 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-12-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:12 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
OK. And?

We are talking $66K (so far). For a Derek Jeter?
I'm confused, too. Especially since there are (currently) 22 PSA 10s out there. My best guess is that after this, one or two more hit the market, but won't do nearly as well as this one. My other guess is that some PSA 9s (currently 567 of those) will be resubmitted to see if they can get a bump, while ungraded copies and graded ones from other TPGs will also be submitted. That 22 could grow significantly for such a card that supposedly is "rare" due to being condition sensitive. Not sure the $60k+ will look that great in a few months.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
When you talk about "most" 9s, how many of the 500+ have you personally examined? And how many 10s?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-12-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:50 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

You can’t judge this card online in a scan, a pic, or any other way. The only way you can truly see the flaws on this card is in hand. Scratches on the surface and pitting is very hard to see because it’s shiny. Evan the corners on this card a difficult to dectect. The back can be very off center. I MEAN IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A PURPLE STICKER SOOOO...... PWCC and the Greg ( purple label) commented In this article. So I guess they know that purple label and PWCC both have EYE APPEAL stickers.

Last edited by Rookiemonster; 05-12-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:10 AM
David Peck

Peter you seem to be the constant naysayer on the graded card market.

I first joined online forums in 2010 and became aware of what highly sought after graded cards were selling for at the time and the Jeter was going for just over 6k and there were at least half as many.

I would be willing to bet money you would have written at the time that someone paying that amount was just a flip buyer and that 6k is insane money for a modern day card.

Here we stand with the card north of ten times higher, the pop more than double and nothing has changed.

I can't say with any certainly what the future holds for this card but the odds of it going back to 6k are none.

The flaws on your card are obviously the upper two corners and while that is a nice copy it is clear that the card being auctioned off is nicer. I think what is tough for all collectors to wrap their head around at times is these small differences transcend into huge price gaps. It isn't going to change. The collapse of the PSA 10 isn't going to happen. Will cards come down in price in some cases? Yes but the spread between the 9's and 10's isn't going to narrow.

If anything on cards like this it is expanding.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

David I perfectly understand the realities of the flip market, I just think it's madness. Take the 10 out of its holder, what do you think it would sell for? Put it in a Gem Mint Beckett holder, same question. A microtouch to a corner (and that's all mine is in hand, and the surface is perfect, best I have ever seen by the way) makes a difference between X and 200X? Is the opinion of some card grader who is probably no more qualified than you or I that it's Gem Mint not Mint really worth that in any meaningful way? It's all very artificial to me.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-13-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Also -- I would be willing to bet if you cracked out all the 9s and 10s, and resubmitted, and somehow could trace each card, you would get a very different group of 10s, and probably some 8.5s or even 8s. At the 9/10 level there is a lot of arbitrariness which is what makes it so artificial in my opinion.
I have seen this first hand, a guy I knew who was a huge volume submitter used to regularly resubmit stacks of 9s of major cards and always would be rewarded with some 10s.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:24 AM
David Peck

It doesn't matter what it would sell for raw. It doesn't matter what it would sell for in a BGS slab. It comfortably sits in a PSA 10 holder and has been awarded the grade of Gem Mint.

I will never dispute that there are cards that you look at in a holder and think boy I don't see how that was given the grade it got. Some are damaged in the holder while others are simply poorly graded. The most glaring example I have ever seen was a 1974 Topps Dave Winfield rookie that looked like a solid 7 but had a 10 on the holder and it still at the time went for $7,400. Whether you or I or anyone else for that matter agrees is irrelevant. What matters is that card still will change hands for more than a card with a 9 up top.

When I got back into cards in 2009 and switched from baseball to wrestling I saw the writing on the wall. It was clear the only way to radically change the value of a card relative to another example was to get it graded. If anything during this time frame the spread has widened even further and that isn't going to change. Someone can either fight the trend or get on it and enjoy the ride.

There is no doubt that much of the value is in the bragging rights and all one has to do is understand this and the rest makes sense. My card is better than your card and only a small number of people can say they have one that is a 10. Throw in rising prices and you have a perfect storm.

No kicking, fighting or screaming is going to change any of this and as the number of participants expands so do the discrepancies. All one must do is look to the gaming category and the explosion there and see how quickly they have adopted getting cards graded. Simple stuff dude.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

David, I get it, there is a flip market. I take that as a given. I am not disagreeing with you. I am just opining that its underpinnings are artificial and arbitrary.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:04 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Also -- I would be willing to bet if you cracked out all the 9s and 10s, and resubmitted, and somehow could trace each card, you would get a very different group of 10s, and probably some 8.5s or even 8s. At the 9/10 level there is a lot of arbitrariness which is what makes it so artificial in my opinion.
I have seen this first hand, a guy I knew who was a huge volume submitter used to regularly resubmit stacks of 9s of major cards and always would be rewarded with some 10s.
I couldn’t have said it better. ( especially with the 1993 SP jeter) I be heard some crazy stories on the regrade your card game. Give me a grade 8 and 90% percent of the time you can’t see it’s not a 9. And take a look at a 9 and I’ll make a case for to be a 10 or a 8.(depends if it my card or yours lol.

I don’t even see graded cards as mine is better then yours because the grade of it. Maybe 2 to 10 but the difference between 7 and a 8 come on.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

For anyone who believes in the "10" I encourage you -- no I double dog dare you -- to do the following experiment. Take 20 PSA 10s of cards of significant value, crack them out, resubmit them (yourself, not through 4SC), and report back what you get. Go on.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-13-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:12 PM
David Peck

I have loads of self submitted 10's that you could send in time and time again and get a 10.

This is not an exactly tough set but it is pretty obvious this card is a 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8nature388_zpsehikjaa6.jpg (77.1 KB, 300 views)
Old 05-13-2018, 01:18 PM
David Peck

What gets lost in the shuffle is some collectors like 10's because many are incredibly aesthetically pleasing to the eye with no wear and perfect centering.

I like them for numerous reasons. I love to collect nice looking cards, they are dramatically better than any other grade for investment purposes, I have active registry sets, I like to uncover raw cards that are beautiful, I can say I have the only copy or one of just a few copies to ever grade that high, huge bank for your buck if you submit them yourself, and on and on.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have a number of 9s that look like 10s. And probably some percentage would be on resubmission. And probably some of my 10s would get 9s. The guy I knew made a good part of his living getting 9s bumped to 10s. Jordan rookies and the like. It was essentially a numbers game.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
What gets lost in the shuffle is some collectors like 10's because many are incredibly aesthetically pleasing to the eye with no wear and perfect centering.

I like them for numerous reasons. I love to collect nice looking cards, they are dramatically better than any other grade for investment purposes, I have active registry sets, I like to uncover raw cards that are beautiful, I can say I have the only copy or one of just a few copies to ever grade that high, huge bank for your buck if you submit them yourself, and on and on.
I agree with you on the investment, no question. Where we disagree is whether in terms of the actual card, there is a clear differentiation between a 9 and a 10. From what I have seen in decades of doing this, frequently not. Many many 10s are bumped 9s.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:29 PM
David Peck

That is where it gets blurry. You are right about that bump game. The most expensive card I have ever purchased was a 9 first.

I think some of that can be chalked up to erring on the side of conservatism and card grading isn’t a perfect science. I was naive to that when I first embraced it.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
That is where it gets blurry. You are right about that bump game. The most expensive card I have ever purchased was a 9 first.

I think some of that can be chalked up to erring on the side of conservatism and card grading isn’t a perfect science. I was naive to that when I first embraced it.
So was it that much better a card in a 10 flip? To me that's where it gets absurd. And don't even get me going on the celebrity bump thing.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-13-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:33 PM
David Peck

Most wrestling cards are cheap and there is real risk from a monetary stand point to not grade a 10.

You get very picky on certain cards when this is the case and if it looks closer to a 9 I take it out of the stack.

I obviously don’t have a 1000 percent average but have done quite well at it.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:35 PM
David Peck

It is better than the two PSA 9’s that exist. I own both.

I saw it raw in a text and thought it was a 10.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:05 PM
St@n Go.len

You can do that with most cards, especially newer ones, thats the problem with grading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I couldn’t have said it better. ( especially with the 1993 SP jeter) I be heard some crazy stories on the regrade your card game. Give me a grade 8 and 90% percent of the time you can’t see it’s not a 9. And take a look at a 9 and I’ll make a case for to be a 10 or a 8.(depends if it my card or yours lol.

I don’t even see graded cards as mine is better then yours because the grade of it. Maybe 2 to 10 but the difference between 7 and a 8 come on.
Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2018, 07:32 PM
D@le Irv*n

What I always get a chuckle out of is brand new, pack fresh cards that receive 8's or less. What exactly is wrong with those cards that could warrant such a grade?

If all pre and post war cards were graded like these new(er) ones, most would be lucky to receive 2's or 3's instead of the 8's and 9's some of them receive.
Older graded slab, but you should get the point.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 05-14-2018, 07:33 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Wow, that would have been a 3rd string sub on my account

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-16-2018, 04:14 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Card is up to 82,000
Old 05-16-2018, 04:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Card is up to 82,000
David P convinced me.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:10 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
David P convinced me.

Lol idk if I could be convinced for this price.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

96K and rising. Come on. There are 22 10s. The high bidder has bid 55 times on this lot so far.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:32 PM
David Peck

PSA 10's bring the bucks.

It is so simple. Predicting the marquee cards are tough but predicting the PSA 10 is the best copy to buy isn't.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

100K for a 1993 pop 22? Sorry, I hear everything you are saying David but it makes no sense to me at all.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:40 PM
David Peck

I can't suggest I understand the price either. That said the formula is very simple.

Low supply of cards available creates high prices. This might be an anomaly it might not. The card will never be cheap again. It is a platinum level card and once they become that it is really hard to predict the peak. It can be much higher than you can dream.

Last sale I believe was 54k so quite an increase. That was high from prior sales in the mid to high 30's. Fast market.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

When this card was at $61 or $62K, I was going to ask if it had the chance to reach a $100K, but thought you would all think I was smoking something.

Like I mentioned, I don't follow this card at all, but when I seen the $61 or $62K, I thought it was most likely already topped out.
$99,100 with 7 minutes remaining. Will it hit a $100 K?

Last edited by irv; 05-16-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Or a manipulated one, based on lessons of the recent past. Who knows.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:50 PM
D@le Irv*n

$99,100.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:54 PM
David Peck

I think you always have to use caution on outlier sales and especially when only two bidders really drive it north. Time will tell if this sale goes trough and hard to say if someone could put their copy for sale and have it clear the market at this price. Will be interesting that is for sure.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I think you always have to use caution on outlier sales and especially when only two bidders really drive it north. Time will tell if this sale goes trough and hard to say if someone could put their copy for sale and have it clear the market at this price. Will be interesting that is for sure.
Yep. After what we saw in 2016 I have some skepticism here, especially with the pop as high as it is and the price rising so quickly and sharply. Time will tell.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:03 PM
David Peck

The card is going to be expensive permanently and will be very hard to predict in price.

If a few guys with fast money to burn get into the hobby prices go up for a time. There is a fast money type buyer loading up on Mike Trout and I can see someone with a similar attitude moving cards like this up.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The card is going to be expensive permanently and will be very hard to predict in price.

If a few guys with fast money to burn get into the hobby prices go up for a time. There is a fast money type buyer loading up on Mike Trout and I can see someone with a similar attitude moving cards like this up.
Which Trout is the equivalent of the SP Jeter, that 2009 minor league one?