NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM

Default Don't ebay "Best Offers," peeve you sometimes?

There's a nice '52 Topps Campos perfectly centered on ebay right now. It's a PSA 5, and the buy it now price is $65...a bit steep I feel, for a card that's a low order 5, a bit dingy with some pretty dinged corners.

The seller had a best offer option, and it declined me TWICE, first when I offered $40, then $50. And now I have only one more chance at the buy it now before I'm locked out (thanks to ebay's asinine 3 strikes policy with best offers).

I mean, what kind of haggling is it, when you won't even consider offers that are within $15 of the ask price? Drives me nuts. Either just go for a straight up buy it now, or consider the offer. You can always decline it. Don't waste my time with a best offer option that is disingenuous.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 PM

Default best offer

I had a similar experience on a $58 off centered card. Turns out after "blowing" my 3 chances with 35, 40 and 45 ... he wanted 55. Geez. If you want 55 then dont put best offer. Most people arent thinking your level of fexibility is only $3.

Last edited by okmaybent@aol.com; 11-15-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:14 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

I agree, can be frustrating...especially when you're only willing to accept offers $3 less than asking price. However, there have been many times where I've offered a price far lower than I thought would be accepted, just to get an idea of where the seller was, and I get the "you bought the item" reply. Nice!

Currently I'm picking up the Perez/Steele greatest moment pieces, autographed, and have been getting some great deals!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The 3 strikes thing is idiotic but I like the Best Offer mechanism otherwise and use it all the time. The best part for a seller is that it lets you set an automatic decline ceiling, an "I will consider it" range, and an automatic accept floor, and if the offer tops that floor, it accepts that offer, not the lowest bid increment over the floor.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

i rarely make an offer on "best offer", but rather email the seller first and haggle it out, then if we agree i send in my offer, that we have already agreed on.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 11-16-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Chris

It is definitely a by annoying when there is only minimal wiggle room in the asking price. There is one seller that consistently has cards I'm looking for, overpriced them significantly, and is only willing to take a slight discount through best offer. Now I'll only make offers if I really need the card and am willing to overpay.

That said, I've also had great luck with it. Last year I sent a seller offer of close to 1,800 below his asking price. He countered for a very reasonable $1000 under, and I got a great deal on a very beautiful card.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Tony Ooten

My favorite is when I make offer, then the seller counter offers with their "buy it now" price.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I've had some great experiences with best offers, where I throw a ridiculously lowball offer to start with that ends up getting accepted. However, I've also had the other experiences as well, where offers are only a few dollars shy of the BIN, or have gotten a counter-offer of the BIN.

I've had some great experiences making offers on cards that don't have a best-offer option as well. Same with searching completed listings, and making offers on auctions that didn't sell.

Except the one guy, who insisted that there was watchers on his overpriced card, and was certain it would sell for that amount. Almost a year later, it's still sitting there, not to mention it had been there for a year before I made the offer...
Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
My favorite is when I make offer, then the seller counter offers with their "buy it now" price.
HAHA, I know what you mean...although I have gotten counters that are $1 below the buy it now price which I almost find more insulting.

With that said, I have also had some good luck, so it cuts both ways.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Lonnie Nagel

I have had my best luck watching for items that don't sell and then making a direct offer to the seller. I don't usually bother with eBay "Best Offer" routine anymore - for all of the reasons mentioned above.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:03 AM

Although the seller you described is being silly, I like the best offer option because I do find that many sellers really do accept the best offer. I have received a discount as much as 50% on some items.