NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-12-2014, 07:04 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Default "Enhanced" Autographs

When PSA or Spence determine that a signature has been enhanced does that mean enough of the genuine signature is evident under the enhanced version to determine "enhanced" as opposed to fake? Couldn't an enhanced auto be deemed fake just as much as a fake be deemed enhanced?
Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 AM
Carmelo N.

I've seen them use a machine that can see underneath "new inc" and I assume if they see a genuine auto underneath its fine. Enhancing devalues an auto but unless it's a terrible attempt that distorts the original auto, I'd still want say a ruth enhanced ball.

Fwiw in the future there will be old enough forgeries (if not now) that people will "enhance". Here's a video for reference

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7mdOdTp7b28
Old 07-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

The second someone other than the player touches that signiture the ball should not be graded or authenticated.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
The second someone other than the player touches that signiture the ball should not be graded or authenticated.
+1
PSA and JSA will issue a COA for enhanced signatures. I think that is absurd and would NEVER do it.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-15-2014, 10:02 AM
Belltown Vintage

Just saw this thread. Certainly everyone whose opinion is worth listening to is in agreement on this. I think the fact that JSA and PSA authenticate Babe Ruth forgeries that are 'out in the open', there is no way you could trust them with anything that has been 'enhanced'. Besides, who in their right minds would want such a thing?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:19 PM

I watched a Joe Torre personalized autograph to me "disappear" over the years. Who remember Flair pens? I think it was signed with a Flair and faded to being invisible. I still have it but I would never consider enhancing it.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
I watched a Joe Torre personalized autograph to me "disappear" over the years. Who remember Flair pens? I think it was signed with a Flair and faded to being invisible. I still have it but I would never consider enhancing it.
One of my saddest experiences was watching the autographs fade to nothing on one panel of my '73 Cincinnati Reds ball. They weren't gone completely until around 2005 or so - a long painful process which included Bench, Anderson....

Even as a kid I was smart enough to know not to trace over them, even though I knew they were heading to oblivion.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Agree with both Shelly and Richard. That said, I would still buy such an autograph if:

1.) it was extremely uncommon / rarely encountered (obscure ballplayer),
2.) a significant portion of the actual, original autograph was discernable under close inspection
3.) I did not have that autograph in my collection, and therefore needed it.

You ask "who would enhance the autograph of a obscure ballplayer"? I have found far more ink-enhanced, lightly signed pencil signatures of common ballplayers on album pages than I could shake a stick at. Doesn't seem to matter who the name was. Some collectors just wanted to make those signatures "pop" on the album page. All personal preference I guess. As a collector I avoid purchasing enhanced autographs whenever possible. But every once in a great, great while, a really tough autograph is located that has been enhanced (or taped over, etc). If I can discern that the actual signature still is visible/exists under the enhancement, I will buy it, for a fair price. Some might ask why bother, if you cannot easily see the original signature. All I can say that ballplayer signed that item, and that signature is still there in some capacity, and I am willing to accept less inorder to have it. I want to cross that name off a want list, rather then have potentially nothing at all. I like the idea of buying the best quality you can afford. But sometimes there are few other choices; especially in my limited budget. Just my two cents worth, as a collector

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 07-16-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:23 PM
Carmelo N.

A prime example of an enhanced ball, still neat to me. Sucks it was touched up (I'd never do it) but still a ruth sig underneath the areas of enhancement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.6 KB, 125 views)
Old 07-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

And your example is a perfect example of why most collector avoid enhanced signatures. Your comment that it is a "real Ruth signature" is also a perfect example of why such stuff can get away with being sold., and by "such stuff" I'm including complete forgeries.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
And your example is a perfect example of why most collector avoid enhanced signatures. Your comment that it is a "real Ruth signature" is also a perfect example of why such stuff can get away with being sold., and by "such stuff" I'm including complete forgeries.
Huh
Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyygameused View Post
Huh
Huh?